It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8 Million Gallons of Water Drained from Reservoir after Man Urinates In It: (absolutely crazy!)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Right, fish urinate in it (and other fish stuff), birds flying over will see water and think "sweet relief", insects themselves have to go to the la-dies room sometime. So one human takes a random pee (couldn't he have used a tree like his forebearers?) and this guy flushes the lake? "Madness, captain", "Yes, it's madness Bones."

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I suggest that everyone who stands against idiocy email the sap at [email protected] or contact the commissioner who I assume is his boss at [email protected]

Portland Water Bureau - 503-823-7404
1120 SW Fifth Avenue, Rm. 600
Portland, OR 97204

Wow I cant believe that they have water conservation advice on their site...

www.portlandonline.com...
"Master the 5 minute shower"

This is their conservation hotline
503-823-4527 or [email protected]

I believe they need a lesson in conservation from the good people of ATS

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
probably drained the lake so they could charge the urinator as a terrorist obviusly trying to kill every one in portland go patriot act see it really really works.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

um.... I'm assuming this is filtered before drinked.

So.....

Is he dumb or just retarded?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
hahaha...this guy really is "yucked" out...So just waste the gallons of water that could've been used to hydrate the people, I mean there's soo much clean water on Earth these days.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I wish for the guy that ordered the draining of this resevoir, to be stranded somewhere without fresh drinking water and realizing the incredible amount of water he once wasted..What an incredible waste of fresh water

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I guess the dude must of been HIV positive !!!!!

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by captaintyinknots

The news article in the OP got it wrong then. Big surprise.

The operation is costing the state's taxpayers $36,000 (£22,000) and was ordered after Joshua Seater, 21, was caught on a security camera relieving himself in the pristine lake.

8 million gallons does seem pretty small for a lake.

This seems to be a picture of the horribly polluted reservoir.

edit on 6/20/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Yup, that's the one. I am going to be heading up there in an hour or so, I'll snap a few first-hand pics. It certainly isnt a lake at all.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I'll take the
World's Most Expensive P
for $36,000 Alex !!!

what a tard this fool is.

Is he also gonna drain the swimming
pool cuz somebody pooted too ???

what a moron

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
This is why I have lost hope in mankind.

One individual is sick-minded, everyone are against him, but still it is he who makes the decision!!

We need quality leaders.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
You all do know that we drink Dinosaur piss every day right?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Even though i would be disgusted if someone peeeeeed in my drinking water.... there are people who do drink there own pee on certain occassions!!

I'd prefer to know than not know...

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
i honestly cant belive that was the reason at all.

barly half a gallon in 8 million is somthine like 1:16,000,000 and i bet the resovir has more too.

Evil-homeopathy a real threat?!

I know internet abriviations are disliked on this forum, but thats totally worth a "LOL"

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
So, I'm not going to be able to get up there today afterall for pics, but I found a few to give people an idea of what we are talking about here:
This is the tank that is now empty, filled completely:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8cf7d25d9a31.jpg[/atsimg]

This is it last time they had to drain it, in 2008 ( i believe):
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3bd21e9032b0.jpg[/atsimg]

In 2008 someone dumped paint in, and they had to clean it:
eastpdxnews.com...

so we arent really talking about something unprecedented here....although it still seems a little overboard.

This popped into my mind as I was thinking about it:
www.kptv.com...

E-Mail News Alerts Get breaking news and daily headlines. Browse all e-mail newsletters Related To Story MORE INFO * Photos: Photos: Crews Called To Leak * Neighbors Told To Stay Inside * Spill Creates Chemical Cloud * Aerial View Of Chemical Plant All Clear Given After Milwaukie Chemical Cloud 'Shelter In Place' Order Lifted POSTED: 6:04 pm PDT May 11, 2011 UPDATED: 7:35 am PDT May 12, 2011 MILWAUKIE, Ore. -- The threat from a chemical cloud is over, fire officials say, and people who live nearby are free to leave their homes. Clackamas fire officials made a "shelter in place" order Wednesday, asking people within a half-mile of Precision Castparts on Johnson Creek Boulevard to stay inside.

Not too terribly far from Mt. Tabor...not saying it has anything to do with it, just putting ideas out there....

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

see, now that bothers me way worse now.

They had someone taint the water supply in the past, yet they have such a lax security policy, that anyone can enter it now. Imagine if someone with a tiny bit of brain power, located the camera angles and entered through the blind spot. Then everyone in that town could be at risk. This is an issue that need attention yesterday.
I hope someone who has to drink this water thinks about this.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Hi.

I blogged about this after reading this thread. Well about halfway from where it is currently. I had seen the Telegraph headline on Facebook but just did a facepalm and didn't read that till I came here.

I'll spare you the horror of reading my prose over at my other home as it really wasn't my best work at all, but... I was amazed to see not so very long after I posted it... well within a half hour... a reply from Shaff himself!

I will take the liberty of posting same here, as I think everyone should see it, and only maybe 40 or 50 will over there... so here goes:

I think it is a bit early to award me Lower Class Twit of the year – it’s not even half over yet.

We don’t have fish (or anything else) living in the reservoirs. These are in-town storage tanks – you know, like the ones you see in your neighborhood, but without any cover over them. There are about 3 dozen of them left in the United States and we have 5 of them. You can pull them up on Google Maps to see what they look like, but you should should know a bit more about our system to understand why I made the decision I did.

We treat our water with chlorine and ammonia and then send it into our distribution system. Part of that system is a series of storage reservoirs and tanks. 5 of our reservoirs are open to anything that gets thrown, blown or dumped into them. The person who urinated in the reservoir did so at a point long after the water was treated to become drinking water. Open reservoirs are no longer allowed under EPA regulations and those systems that have them all have to stop storing treated drinking water under schedules approved by their state regulatory agencies or the EPA. See attached links:

Many people who have contacted me don’t agree with my decision to empty the reservoir. Reasonable people differ and I think taking a different course would have been reasonable as well. However, I am also confident that if I had taken a different course of action, many people would be reasonably upset that we didn’t dump the water.

There was a known contaminant (as well as the unknown contaminants that were thrown into the reservoir as well) that was introduced into our drinking water last week. Knowing that some unknown substance was introduced into our drinking water made me much more cautious. We also have the luxury of having a lot of water available to us right now with full reservoirs and hundreds of millions of gallons going down the Bull Run River because we are full. We have the amount of water I am disposing of going downriver approximately every 35 minutes right now. Given that water is both cheap and abundant here in Portland, I think caution was the right move. Were we in a 100 year draught, or living in a water scarce region, I might make a different decision.

The other thing that I think most people don’t get is that we didn’t lose $28,000 in revenue last week. We used 119 million gallons of water in the 24 hours since midnight June 14 to midnight June 15. We wouldn’t have used 8 million gallons more. I just replaced the 8 million gallons that was tainted with 8 million gallons that wasn’t. The direct cost of my decision is the cost to dispose of the water (we estimate that at around $7,700) and having to divert a crew from doing something else to cleaning a reservoir that I wouldn’t have needed to clean again until this Fall.

David Shaff, Administrator
Portland Water Bureau

And there you have it.

Hopefully that'll be alright with the mods...

I replied much more politely than in my own OP and thanked him for his words, mentioning again that I remain unconvinced and asking about clean up of dead birds and the like...

Oddness abounds, doesn't it?

Sheesh.

Peace,
Pixel

edit on 6/20/2011 by PixelDuster because: classified

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
this is insanity. it will also inspire dozens of drunks to try to pee on camera

morons

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude

see, now that bothers me way worse now.

They had someone taint the water supply in the past, yet they have such a lax security policy, that anyone can enter it now. Imagine if someone with a tiny bit of brain power, located the camera angles and entered through the blind spot. Then everyone in that town could be at risk. This is an issue that need attention yesterday.
I hope someone who has to drink this water thinks about this.

There have been other times, as well. I believe it was two Thanksgivings ago they detected e. coli in the water, from the ducks that swim freely in it. Yet they waited a full 48 hours to report it, so as to not disrupt the holiday.

It bothers me quite a bit. I am fairly new to this particular side of the city, and let me tell you, i really dislike the taste of the water.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by PixelDuster

Great effort on your part.

Nicely done.

I am with you.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
maybe there's something at the bottom they want to find... sunglasses? worth it
/sarcasm

oh i red a couple posts up and see now...
edit on 20-6-2011 by gam3pr0 because: apparently this isn't that big of deal.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join