It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8 Million Gallons of Water Drained from Reservoir after Man Urinates In It: (absolutely crazy!)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
As a side note: I find this interesting that the story comes from a UK paper - No one thought it more appropriate to dig up a local news source with local comments/perspectives?

The following is taken from the Oregon live website

Man caught urinating in Mount Tabor reservoir prompts Portland to shift water supply

Shaff said the Water Bureau regularly finds dead animals in the same drinking supply but doesn't dump the water. "This is different," he said.

"Do you want to drink pee?" he asked bluntly.

When questioned about scientific data and the small amount of urine in such a large reservoir, he interjected: "Answer the question. It has nothing to do with scientifically.

"Most people," he added, "are gonna be pretty damn squeamish about that."

So apparently, there was NO scientific basis upon which the decision to drain the reservoir was made ... as far as I can tell it's purely and simply psychological squeamishness on the part of Mr. Shaff as the sole reason for the drainage.

Shaff should be sacked and replaced by a competent water administrator

edit on 20/6/11 by tauristercus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
That's insane I have pee'd several times into creeks and lakes and I am not embarrassed to say so. Granted it was during a hike, but to drain a reservoir cause some sends a golden shower is nuts. Don't they have to purify that water anyways before the population can drink it? Pretty sure a lot more people would suffer from Beaver Fever otherwise.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Fire the idiot who drained it.... seriously... How many other animals have done their business and worse in there?

How many fish have mated and laid eggs in there?

Bottom line, the guy who drained the place is an idiot.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
HEY PEOPLE!!!

This is Oregon...

Take it with a grain of salt, literally...

They do this kind of crap all the time...

One time, they found a dead tree, then cut down the whole forest...

Then another time they found an owl, then stopped cutting down EVERYTHING!!

This state has & will allways be whacked...

edit on 20-6-2011 by metaldave because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-6-2011 by metaldave because: spelling

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

A portion of the Mount Tabor Reservoir had to be drained Wednesday morning when a 21-year-old Molalla man admitted to urinating in the water.

www.kgw.com...

This one has a picture of the video catching the guy in the act.

I wonder if they got cameras set up to cover the whole reservoir.

side note, if they hadn't released the fact that someone peed in the lake very few would have known.
edit on 20-6-2011 by jam321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
South Park had a show about urinating in a water park i think it was called PEE I dont know how to put parts of the show here maybe someone else can.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
When this first aired, I didn't think much of it except that it seemed like a waste. However, it is Portland, and our region has been getting a lot of rain. It probably wasn't much of a waste since there hasn't been a shortage of water this year. They probably didn't want a guard releasing the video and causing more paperwork and rules due to lawsuits.

Regarding the treatment, this NWCN article talks about how the water is treated before the reservoir, not before it enters the tap.

NWCN article

Edit:
For those condemning the decision to drain the water, what would you do if you were in charge of Portland's water? Would you risk public shame, being forced to resign, stress on your coworkers due to an inevitable revaluation of water policy, and struggle to find work that will help you take care of your family, in the hopes that a security video of a young man peeing into the city water won't be released? Or would you drain the reservoir knowing that the urine is virtually undetectable and more water from the mountains and sky will probably fill it up?
With the way the world is, I would drain the reservoir.
edit on 20-6-2011 by collietta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Well, the man who peed in it was from molalla... so there was probably a ton of meth in his pee. I kid, I kid, but there are a lot of meth heads in molalla.

Anyway,

I thought this was terribly ridiculous. True, we aren't short on water here, but it's still a waste of money that definitely could have been spent much wiser, this state (any city) are in bad times right now like most places.

I've been there several times, and there is some NASTY chit in there. I can guarantee his pee probably helped cleaned it. Which does really make me worry, as I would have assumed it was filtered or treated before reaching my faucet, but I guess it isn't? What the heck, that's far more disturbing than a dude peeing in it.

My thoughts, is that this is a way to scare people into covering it. For awhile not people have been clamoring that we need to put a big concrete dome over it to protect it from.... terrorists? I'm not really sure. but if enough people are scared of 21 year old molalla pissers perhaps they will finally give in and cover it.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Los Angeles Calif get part of there water from the Owens river and i have seen dead and bloated cows floating down it many times in the last 50 years.

I go to LA for doctors appointments but i never drink anything but bottled water when i am there.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I hope they did not forget to refill it and drain for the 2nd time - get's most of the pee out.

It's like flushing your car radiator, you drain it, run water through it, drain again, pour coolant and voila, clean cooling system!

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by collietta
When this first aired, I didn't think much of it except that it seemed like a waste. However, it is Portland, and our region has been getting a lot of rain. It probably wasn't much of a waste since there hasn't been a shortage of water this year. They probably didn't want a guard releasing the video and causing more paperwork and rules due to lawsuits.

Regarding the treatment, this NWCN article talks about how the water is treated before the reservoir, not before it enters the tap.

NWCN article

Edit:
For those condemning the decision to drain the water, what would you do if you were in charge of Portland's water? Would you risk public shame, being forced to resign, stress on your coworkers due to an inevitable revaluation of water policy, and struggle to find work that will help you take care of your family, in the hopes that a security video of a young man peeing into the city water won't be released? Or would you drain the reservoir knowing that the urine is virtually undetectable and more water from the mountains and sky will probably fill it up?
With the way the world is, I would drain the reservoir.
edit on 20-6-2011 by collietta because: (no reason given)

If I was in charge I would put out a statement stating the obvious that the water will be fine to drink because it goes through a treatment plant before being piped to the consumer otherwise you would get weil's disease from rat urine. On a side note you may be drinking treated toilet water already

From your toilet to your tap

Toni Mcrae | 27th February 2010

HERVEY Bay is shaping up to become flushed with the success of becoming Australia's first city to turn effluent into drinking water.

Quentin Rider checks out the effluent that is turning into “A-plus” grade water.
Toni Mcrae
Related links

Effluent upgrade halted

HERVEY Bay is shaping up to become flushed with the success of becoming Australia’s first city to turn effluent into drinking water.

A new $36 million wastewater treatment plant at Nikenbah will launch the project – providing the Federal Government comes good with just under $10 million.

“We’re hopeful,” Wide Bay Water Corporation’s David Wiskar said yesterday. “The Howard government committed to us as an election promise they would give us the money so now we’re negotiating with the Rudd government.

“The idea is to add this effluent-to-drinking water process to be used in times, for instance, of bad drought. It would become a supplementary water source here in times of crisis.
www.frasercoastchronicle.com.au...

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   

the average human bladder holds only six to eight ounces

tell that to the 2 and a half 24oz. beer cans I just filled..... BURP!!!

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
So for one man to open the water gate
then close it, $36,000.????
can some one tell me why so much money?
there are people who drink pee!
no.. the are sick to start with.

southpark Pee.
great. pore kid had to swim under 100% pee!

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by buddha

It's not just the act of opening valves and gates (I am actually qualified to do that! large scale hydraulics used to be what I did for beer money) - it mostly the the money that goes into treating the water here, because of course in the whole scheme of things water never really gets lost, it may not stay where you wanted it (ie leakage) or it gets contaminated - so you loose CLEAN water, you still have the water, just you have to make it clean again so you have to put it back into the system.

I ran some numbers very quickly so I may be wrong here but this 8 million us gallons is a considerable amount of water of course, I think I am right in saying it would be a body of water with the surface area of an American foot ball pitch (inc end zones) to a depth of 5.64 metres!..... Or 12.12 Olympic swimming pools.... Or enough water to keep your average American family in daily water for 316.8 years

But it's also not exactly a huge amount of water for a densely populated area, terrible waste tho. Around here up on the moors it's quite common to find dead sheep in the Leets that feed the reservoir, never bothered anyone.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
It almost sounds like they used this guy peeing in the lake as an excuse to drain it for some other reason.

That's the post I was looking for!

Definately another reason.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I bet more people are going to urinate in that reservoir after this incident.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeBoss

The "Big P Fest of 2011" is about to begin.

Something tells me the person responsible for the decision to drain the lake is in for some rough times ahead.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
One word, Chlorine.
And btw. All the fish and crabs and other critters that use the lake for a toilet don't bother you?
silly.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Just another outrageous waste of money...and water. Because decomposing dead animals and their live excretions into the reservoir aren't as "yucky" as one little cup of human pee??? I bet that guy doesn't go to public swimming baths on a regular basis!

Just think of what the human race could achieve if we spent our money more sensibly.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
grose but if you think about it, how many gallons of water in the lake compared to a cup of piss. It wouldn't matter health wise. If he took a # in the lake, that may cause a health issue though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join