It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suns output to fall, Leading to a mini iceage?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

What may be the science story of the century is breaking this evening, as heavyweight US solar physicists announce that the Sun appears to be headed into a lengthy spell of low activity, which could mean that the Earth – far from facing a global warming problem – is actually headed into a mini Ice Age.

I have read somewhere, That the warming of our planet, Could melt the polar ice and cool the Gulf and lower the temperature, Leading to an ice age.

The announcement made on 14 June (18:00 UK time) comes from scientists at the US National Solar Observatory (NSO) and US Air Force Research Laboratory. Three different analyses of the Sun's recent behaviour all indicate that a period of unusually low solar activity may be about to begin.

This cant be good. How long will it take. Will the current population experience this? Or future generations?

As NASA notes: Early records of sunspots indicate that the Sun went through a period of inactivity in the late 17th century. Very few sunspots were seen on the Sun from about 1645 to 1715. Although the observations were not as extensive as in later years, the Sun was in fact well observed during this time and this lack of sunspots is well documented. This period of solar inactivity also corresponds to a climatic period called the "Little Ice Age" when rivers that are normally ice-free froze and snow fields remained year-round at lower altitudes. There is evidence that the Sun has had similar periods of inactivity in the more distant past.

During the Maunder Minimum and for periods either side of it, many European rivers which are ice-free today – including the Thames – routinely froze over, allowing ice skating and even for armies to march across them in some cases. "This is highly unusual and unexpected," says Dr Frank Hill of the NSO. "But the fact that three completely different views of the Sun point in the same direction is a powerful indicator that the sunspot cycle may be going into hibernation."

Source

Thoughts, ATS experts.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I am not sure. But I think this may take some time. Our Children's, Children, May feel the effects.
I'll research a little tonight and try to understand a time frame for such an event.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Search: sunspots ice age. results:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Yep, we dont have jack squat for solar data pre 1970. All of our data was basically crap before SDO and SOHO and these clowns come along with nothing but hot air and tell a new story.

If its true they can provide the data from all those other times in history that match perfectly.

Whats that? they can't? I see said the blind man.....

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Thanks for the link. Ill read up on it now.
Star for the link.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Yes heard this on the 14th! Sunspots that give us light from the sun will be 'Minimal to non existent" possibly within 5-10 years. We will see go to iceagenow.com great info. Sorry am new and not yet sure how to link.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

No worries mate. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out now.

top topics

join