It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Implant Chip That Allows Thoughts, Memory And Behavior To Be Transferred

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

Actually, you use 100% of your brain. You can only use about 10% at a time, though.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
First of all, if we keep discovering new possibilities to manipulate the human brain, within 100 years we will be living Deus EX augmentation style. Not sure if my granola lifestyle would adapt or not, but everyone is right to be cautious.

Initial results seem to add wood to the developmental fire and will likely produce results in the future. I truly do hope that positive applications will be on the shelves during my lifetime, and what they are learning to do with stem cells lately is just amazing.

I would love to see how many hands go up when they need guinea pigs to test on. At least there are people with nothing to lose that hopefully won't go "Total Recall" crazy.

Thought this was pretty interesting...

In addition, the researchers went on to show that if a prosthetic device and its associated electrodes were implanted in animals with a normal, functioning hippocampus, the device could actually strengthen the memory being generated internally in the brain and enhance the memory capability of normal rats.

www.prnewswire.com...

Thank Phage for the link.

Some more links,
www.viterbi.usc.edu...

A cortical neural prosthesis for restoring and enhancing memory and pdf.
iopscience.iop.org...
.PDF
iopscience.iop.org...

~Glu
edit on 19-6-2011 by ElmersGluon because: Added links for extended reading.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

How sure are we that this not only possible now, but being used?

I just don't trust that this is not more truth than fiction.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Johnny Mnemonic mixed with Strange Days!

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Think about it this way though- if tech like this exists, and they're ready to go public about it, how long has the testing been going on? How accurate is it? How many unknowing and unwilling test subjects have been used?

It could be kind of cool if you could switch bodies with someone from across the globe! Imagine, instant traveling! Airlines would go bust though haha!

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
So does this insinuate that something like consciousness could eventually be "downloaded" as well. I understand the negative aspects to technology such as this, but their could be positive aspects as well. Family and friends taken from us too early can be "resurrected", things of that nature. It certainly brings some interesting questions to the table in the realm of ethics. But as a BSG fan, it sounds like "Cylon resurrection" isn't too far off.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
wow 1984 - thought crime here we come !

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Just wait when "spam" and "viruses" get into this
New voices in your head

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

Sounds exactly like that one cartoon batman movie...

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
i have been sayin for years that i can live like i want eat what i want because at some point in our near future i will become Digimortal just download a copy of myself into a perfected clone of myself every 20 years or so and live forever only problem is how do you get rid of the clones... if you kill them is it murder or suicide?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Talked about this with my missus the other night, or well a form of it.

Once we die, we would like to spent eternity in the world of warcraft playing ourselves as our characters. I wonder if I will live to see the technonogy. Or even if they will develop the technology.

Dont worry im not a person that plays wow all day, kicked that habit into touch years ago, still have the withdrawl symptoms through lol.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
If this is the future, pull the plug already.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Anyone seen doll house? thats pretty much what this is.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by zcflint05

No.
The technology has nothing to do with recording memories or anything else.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
wow does that mean you will be able to download stuff into your brain and just before you die you will be able to upload your life to a hardrive..

The MATRIX............. Imagine if its already advanced

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

This is insane. In a technologically developing civilization, this is to be expected. In a spiritually developing civilization, such feats can be accomplished with the power of mind as it is.

This has got to be the mark of the beast if there ever was one.

We're using technology to substitute for our lack of evolvedness. This is an extremely limiting factor on how we can evolve and is increasing our dependency on technology to the point where we aren't worth a crap without it.

I want to improve my being by being not by cheating.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

We're using technology to substitute for our lack of evolvedness.

We are trying to develop technology which may be able to help brain and nerve damaged people.

The article in the OP is incorrect and a gross distortion of the research.

edit on 6/20/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Are you cereal?

What I have heard was this technology was available...However, no chip implant was required or deemed necessary for application(s)...

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by smithjustinb

We're using technology to substitute for our lack of evolvedness.

We are trying to develop technology which may be able to help brain and nerve damaged people.

The article in the OP is incorrect and a gross distortion of the research.

edit on 6/20/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Well what if inversely we could evolve to a point where we can heal through the power of prayer.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

On what species?

Also it's not that hard to copy paste something. It's much more harder to create what you want to implant.

Basically it's all signals. A signal, once identified, can be captured. But until we can create at the speed of light, it's a bit harder to actually create that signal.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join