It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Implant Chip That Allows Thoughts, Memory And Behavior To Be Transferred

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Scientists Successfully Implant Chip That Controls The Brain; Allowing Thoughts, Memory And Behavior To Be Transferred From One Brain To Another

Scientists working at the University of Southern California, home of the Department of Homeland Security’s National Center for Risk and Economic Analysis of Terrorism Events, have created an artificial memory system that allows thoughts, memories and learned behavior to be transferred from one brain to another.

In a scene right out of a George Orwell novel, a team of scientists working in the fields of “neural engineering” and “Biomimetic MicroElectronic Systems” have successfully created a chip that controls the brain and can be used as a storage device for long-term memories. In studies the scientists have been able to record, download and transfer memories into other hosts with the same chip implanted. The advancement in technology brings the world one step closer to a global police state and the reality of absolute mind control.

www.activistpost.com...

Brings to mind the thought police from the book 1984, which is one of my favorite books. I guess this discovery seems to have its positive with negative. Although it would be nice to instantly learn a subject by downloading it straight to your head. I think I will stay away. I'm more fearful of the CIA reading my mind and hackers attacking it.

Besides, my mind is only using like 10% of my brain and I haven't learn to use my brain 100% yet. I think I will wait till scientist learn to unleash the power of my brain 100%. Okay, so the 10% is a myth. I want to evolve to be a more intelligent human. Not become more mechanical.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/81355dca3c2c.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 19-6-2011 by MIDNIGHTSUN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Scary news indeed.

Wonder how they will implement this.
edit on 19-6-2011 by Grey Magic because: must have missed link

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
It may be useful against criminals by then again in the wrong hands you can make your own slave army

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

Interesting.

As far as mind control goes, you might want to check this thread out. It delves into the experiments of José Delgado...

Originally posted by MIDNIGHTSUN
Besides, my mind is only using like 10% of my brain and I haven't learn to use my brain 100% yet. I think I will wait till scientist learn to unleash the power of my brain 100%.
edit on 19-6-2011 by MIDNIGHTSUN because: (no reason given)

The whole "we only use 10% of our brains" is a myth. There is no such thing as a cerebral spare tire. Just because we don't fully understand 100% how the brain works doesn't mean it doesn't work 100%.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
This is crazy! I just watched a movie last night, Dark City, and this concept is straight out of that movie. SPOILER ALERT: The people living in that city were completely unaware that every midnight, some weird creatures would make all of the people fall asleep simultaneously using their advanced technology/telekinesis, and they would swap one persons' memories with another persons, basically swapping all of the people's lives around as an experiment.

Also, you use 100% of your brain, every part has a function that we use daily.
edit on 19-6-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
wow does that mean you will be able to download stuff into your brain and just before you die you will be able to upload your life to a hardrive..

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Technological Immortality. Sounds to good to be true.

Let us think of terrorists or self proclaimed super villains who find it necessary to "infect" others with their consciousness, their memories, and their behaviors. Think of the implications! To secretly hide yourself in the brains of man, reemerging whenever one deems necessary to carry out some act or "solution". It is truly scary stuff indeed. However, let us not forget the positive implications.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
"Perhaps an even scarier thought is what becomes of this technology when it becomes wireless?"

from the op link

Just great . All there missing now is the implant chip to be in a gun . Pop you in the head while ur sleeping or place the chip in a robotic insect to fest in your head and activate wireless lol ....

makes mkultra look primitive

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
wow does that mean you will be able to download stuff into your brain and just before you die you will be able to upload your life to a hardrive..

Yeah and the mega rich elite will be able to select a new young body from a catalogue to transfer their 'personality' into.
The rich get to live forever.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Effectively, this could be a form of immortality.

The preservation of an individual mind through many host bodies over time.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Good find!

In this current study the scientists had rats learn a task, pressing one of two levers to receive a sip of water. Scientists inserted a microchip into the rat’s brain, with wires threaded into their hippocampus. Here the chip recorded electrical patterns from two specific areas labeled CA1 and CA3 that work together to learn and store the new information of which lever to press to get water. Scientists then shut down CA1 with a drug. And built an artificial hippocampal part that could duplicate such electrical patterns between CA1 and CA3, and inserted it into the rat’s brain. With this artificial part, rats whose CA1 had been pharmacologically blocked, could still encode long-term memories. And in those rats who had normally functioning CA1, the new implant extended the length of time a memory could be held.

So basically what we see is 1 one very small and distinct part of the brain being replicated with electronic circuitry. And it was only 1 one action that had to be remembered, or, facillitated. Aside from the amazing surgical feat, the "system" is very basic and simple. They transferred a very small neural map, not consciousness or real memories.

This is more than likely still a far ways away from looking like orwell or the matrix.
edit on 6/19/2011 by VonDoomen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

Actually a careful reading of the important parts of the article show that the intro to the article was being quite a bit fanciful. All the Scientists have done is found a way to block, or unblock the hypocampus, which is the section of the Brain that makes long term memories.....They are not at the point where they can download memories at all. What they did was:
"Scientists then shut down CA1 with a drug. And built an artificial hippocampal part that could duplicate such electrical patterns between CA1 and CA3, and inserted it into the rat’s brain. With this artificial part, rats whose CA1 had been pharmacologically blocked, could still encode long-term memories. And in those rats who had normally functioning CA1, the new implant extended the length of time a memory could be held."

Anything else (as these next quotes show) is still nothing but fantasy: [emphasis on certain words is mine]

"This sort of breakthrough COULD lead to building a neural prosthesis to help stroke victims or those with Alzheimer’s. Or AT THE EXTREME, think uploading Kung Fu talent into our brains."

" Back in 2008, Berger told Scientific American, that IF THE BRAIN PATTERNS for the sentence, “See Spot Run,” or even an entire book COULD BE DECIPHERED, THEN WE MIGHT MAKE UPLOADING INSTRUCTIONS TO THE BRAIN A REALITY. “The kinds of examples [the U.S. Department of Defense] likes to typically use are coded information for flying an F-15,” Berger is quoted in the article as saying.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I'm thinking this is more along the line of implementing a universal HIVE MIND for all those lucky enough to receive the chip.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
you might be able to record memories but if you're dead you won't be able to access them. this isn't immortality.

video recorders do the same thing.

i can see some evil people are trying to cheat death. but that would mean trying to cheat God by living forever. you can't.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Naaa dont buy it........

i could see them being able to say....tell which direction you wanted something to go on a computer screen by sequence of firing neurons.......

But having the technology to decifer our brains electrical and chemical processes to the point where it can discern the complexity of actually memory and thought and piece it together into something even resembling WHOLE information?

NOPE
edit on 19-6-2011 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
not good !!!

the elites could clone themselves
and give their clones all their
knowledge from previous lives
with the brain transfer.

Talking about being immortal ???
You could live by proxy forever.

Your clone could actually remember
seeing the towers fall in NYC on 9/11
even in the year 2543.

Some scary chit right here !!!
Man playing God

You could also create a clone
with your brain and do time in
prison for criminal acts and your clone
take care of all ur business matters
for ya.

geez

edit on 6/19/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
The article is incorrect.

The device does not store memories nor does it control the brain. It does not allow the transfer of memories between brains, but within the same brain. In rat brains (not quite the same as a human brain), the device served as a "bridge" between the regions of the brain in which long term and short term memory occur when the hippocampus was shut down by drugs.

The memories were the rats' natural memories. With the hippocampus deactivated they were unable to retrieve them. The device allowed them to.

It is hoped that this research can help in cases of brain damage.

"These integrated experimental modeling studies show for the first time that with sufficient information about the neural coding of memories, a neural prosthesis capable of real-time identification and manipulation of the encoding process can restore and even enhance cognitive mnemonic processes," says the paper.

Next steps, according to Berger and Deadwyler, will be attempts to duplicate the rat results in primates (monkeys), with the aim of eventually creating prostheses that might help the human victims of Alzheimer's disease, stroke or injury recover function.

www.prnewswire.com...

edit on 6/19/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Frightening possibilities, but also amazing possibilities as well ..

Imagine if we could have made a snapshot of Einstein's brain.. transferring his knowledge to a new body.

Of course the post above me shows this tech isn't as described, but it would be awesome..

edit on 19-6-2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Wow! So, maybe the movie Johnny Mnemonic wasn't so far fetched after all? Would be crazy to be able to download a bunch of info directly into your brain. The only draw back is according to the movie Johnny Mnemonic you can't access it directly, so I guess it would be kinda sweet if you could access it. So it would be essentially like a Matrix, Johnny Mnemonic hybrid!

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The article is incorrect.

The device does not store memories nor does it control the brain. It does not allow the transfer of memories between brains, but within the same brain. In rat brains (not quite the same as a human brain), the device served as a "bridge" between the regions of the brain in which long term and short term memory occur when the hippocampus was shut down by drugs.

The memories were the rats' natural memories. With the hippocampus deactivated they were unable to retrieve them. The device allowed them to.

It is hoped that this research can help in cases of brain damage.

"These integrated experimental modeling studies show for the first time that with sufficient information about the neural coding of memories, a neural prosthesis capable of real-time identification and manipulation of the encoding process can restore and even enhance cognitive mnemonic processes," says the paper.

Next steps, according to Berger and Deadwyler, will be attempts to duplicate the rat results in primates (monkeys), with the aim of eventually creating prostheses that might help the human victims of Alzheimer's disease, stroke or injury recover function.

www.prnewswire.com...

edit on 6/19/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Still this would be sweet! No more saying to yourself "Now where did I set those keys", because you would just remember. I can't even fathom being able to remember all of the things that I have forgotten!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join