It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gold.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by QuantumDisciple

Great points on all these pros in the use of gold as a medium it just doesn't fit my definition of intrinsic value. Like your rice example, the fact that it is food gives it it's intrinsic value.

Anumohi makes a good point about gold's real intrinsic value but these are far below the value given to it by the current market.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

Great points on all these pros in the use of gold as a medium it just doesn't fit my definition of intrinsic value. Like your rice example, the fact that it is food gives it it's intrinsic value.

Well I wish you good fortune in the vehicle to decide to store your wealth with. Anything is better than nothing =)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuantumDisciple
Well I wish you good fortune in the vehicle to decide to store your wealth with. Anything is better than nothing =)

Now see this is something different. I think gold is good for storing wealth because I really don't believe in the SHTF scenario that would take us back to the stone age and if something like that happened I don't think wealth stored in any way, shape or form would retain it's value.

Like I said before it's just that when people start talking about the intrinsic value of gold I feel that they don't realize that what they are calling intrinsic is really an agreed upon value which in my opinion makes it only a little better than paper money.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Having a stockpile of gold to barter with is not the answer to all SHTF senarios.

Consider a full blown Extinction Level Event. A comet strike perhaps. This ELE wipes out 99% of the human race. At this time gold would be a bad thing to try and barter with because gold would be easy to find and very common in relation to the populace left to survive. People could find gold in abandoned jewlery stores, banks, homes, pawn shops, on the corpses of the mass death. The amount of above ground gold, per capita, would dilute it's value.

There is no cookie cutter answer to prepare for a SHTF or ELE. The most valuable asset is not food, water, ammo, or gold...it is KNOWLEDGE. What good is a stockpile of food if you are too stupid to ration it or to hunt/gather new sources of food.
edit on 20-6-2011 by QuantumDisciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

That is exactlly what I meant. Barring ELE gold is good because there will always be a market for gold. There will be those who value it beyond its intrinsic value.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   

edit on 21-6-2011 by amfame because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by amfame

Text Redwow this is amazing

edit on 21-6-2011 by amfame because: (no reason given)
Text

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

I really don't get why paper with people's faces is Fiat and a shiny mineral is Real. I mean, the only real difference is that paper is ubiquitous and abundant while gold is rare. Is that the only thing that makes it valuable? Sure it can be made into things, but, so what?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join