It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After Sega gets hacked, LulzSec offers to seek revenge

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

After Sega gets hacked, LulzSec offers to seek revenge

news.cnet.com

Sega is the latest game maker to have its databases hacked. The company acknowledged Sunday that information on 1.3 million customers has been stolen from an online database - though credit cards aren’t part of it, Sega assured customers.

One of those groups, which bills itself as LulzSecurity (or LulzSec), has gone above and beyond to distance itself from Sega’s troubles.

“@Sega - contact us. We want to help you destroy the hackers that attacked you. We love the Dreamcast, these people are going down,” reads a tweet posted to LulzSec’s Twitter account.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
twitter.com
www.zdnet.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Sega follows Sony as latest hack victim, as LulzSec plead innocence

edit on 19-6-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I find it a little fishy that a "hacker group" will go into one company yet back another company....

To be honest I'm not even sure what lulzsec stands for. But it doesn't seem like it's lulz.

Agenda here....

Further evidence that there is an agenda to get a cybersecurity bill? or is it evidence that there is corporate sabotage being done and people are using the appearance of a hacker group for these means.

The whole thing is right out in left field.

ETA: To elaborate on what I am saying, there is only one place this can go. The repeated attacks to show how weak peoples' security is, can only lead to the beefing up security over time, or having regulations enforced on the web. That's where I don't see the "lulz"

news.cnet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
SEGA!!

Seriously, what is going on with the world lately and hackers? It is like they have only existed for five years. I remember when movies discussed the idea of hackers back in the 90s... what was that movie... Hackers....Durrrh lol
I find it intresting that we have been getting more problems with hackers lately now, instead of before. Why not during 2000? Why now? What is really going on?

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure they are doing all this hacking and the what not for "teh LuLz" as I've seen stated a few times on the internet.

The internet is evolving my friends, it's going to be an interesting ride.
Don't shoot the messenger

edit on 6/19/2011 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by eXia7
I'm pretty sure they are doing all this hacking and the what not for "teh LuLz" as I've seen stated a few times on the internet.

The internet is evolving my friends, it's going to be an interesting ride.
Don't shoot the messenger

Is the message on the Twitter account a joke or are they being serious about it?

Twitter

I guess I just don't get it exactly.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Well, if you wanna look further into it, you must question what is "teh LuLz" and how does one achieve it? I've heard of a group of people that used to hack other users, and DDoS many websites etc, use the term LuLz and doing things for "teh LuLz" on a video game chat program.

So I must question, are they really hacking and "counter-hacking" for teh LuLz or is LuLzSec really CIA/FBI hacking these companies for a real purpose.

I dunno if this makes sense to anybody, because I don't get it. But over the past 2 years I've seen something involving LuLz, I assume it's a new form of "LOL"

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Well personally I think these so called hacker groups are weak. I really don't get 'lulz'. Either they are part of the establishment, or they are just immature 'script kiddies'.

IF they have genuine technical talent, then they should do something 'useful' with it. Go after companies/organisations worth going after, not some toy manufacturer.

Go hack an organisation with 'proper' security.

Just my 2c.
st.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
The thing is people will constantly say over and over it's for a security bill, its for a security bill it's for a secuSEEEEE I TOLD YOU!!! then moan about the damned bill that they should have friggin been aware of as soon as it happened and instead of arguing over THE BILL COMING THROUGH say "Right, when this bill comes through what can we do??"

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by R3N3G4D3

It's just going to happen. Not much to be done about it in my opinion. Really, how are you going to stop it? Average voters are more worried about losing their credit card info online then they are having the gov keep tabs on them online.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Hmmm , they are obviously trying to gain a bit of public support otherwise they would have just contacted Sega directly. The plot thickens.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
SEGA?! Why would they bother with SEGA?
It's more an enthusiast console now than anything. Unless they just did it for kicks to see if they could do it.

But yeah, why crow about an obsolete console network hack. I don't get it.

I agree to a poster above, what the hell is LULZ?

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Average voters are more worried about losing their credit card info online then they are having the gov keep tabs on them online.

Exactly. This will keep happening more and more until we are offered a solution to the problem. It will be a RFID chip that enables transactions to be authorised only by a physical scan. Convenient.
edit on 19-6-2011 by NeuronDivide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by PheonixOD
Hmmm , they are obviously trying to gain a bit of public support otherwise they would have just contacted Sega directly. The plot thickens.

Or maybe it was them that did it and they posted that on their Twitter just for the "lulz". It would be mockingly funny if they did so.

I really don't get it. There is no accomplishment here besides Politicians having fodder for their push for legislation.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeuronDivide

Average voters are more worried about losing their credit card info online then they are having the gov keep tabs on them online.

Exactly. This will keep happening more and more until we are offered a solution to the problem. It will be a RFID chip that enables transactions to be authorised only by a physical scan. Convenient.
edit on 19-6-2011 by NeuronDivide because: (no reason given)

They can do what they wish. Of course, there will always be a cash market. If cash is entirely wiped out, there would be a commodities market. There will always be a black/gray/underground market though.

How many people have traded some old movies to their friends, or traded a friend something tangible for him to install something in your home? Back to bartering....

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

I find it a little fishy that a "hacker group" will go into one company yet back another company....

To be honest I'm not even sure what lulzsec stands for. But it doesn't seem like it's lulz.

Agenda here....

Further evidence that there is an agenda to get a cybersecurity bill?
Someone's probably got an agenda to get a cybersecurity bill, but lulzsec may just be playing right into their hands, there may be no direct relationship, or if there is, I haven't seen any evidence of that.

lulzsec is hard to figure out. This sega defense makes it sound like they have some kind of "ethics", but I doubted that when I read they set up a phone line where you could make requests on who you thought should be attacked.

If an ethical hacker or "cracker" really had a pro-society agenda, I don't see how it's consistent to take call-in requests for who to attack next, it seems like they would have their own agenda.

So, I'm not sure what their agenda is. It may be lulz for lulzsec, but it's not lulz for everyone else, which I think is sort of what you were trying to say too.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

They can do what they wish. Of course, there will always be a cash market. If cash is entirely wiped out, there would be a commodities market. There will always be a black/gray/underground market though.

No doubt. But it will be the minority. Especially if perks like free health care are offered if you accept the chip. "Think of your children"

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
What's hard to understand? They don't want to get blamed for hacking a company they like that isn't a leader anymore. Also Dreamcast was awesome.

edit on 19-6-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
What's hard to understand? They don't want to get blamed for hacking a company they like that isn't a leader anymore. Also Dreamcast was awesome.

edit on 19-6-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

Well, basic understanding of business would tell you that Sega, has done more than make a Dreamcast. Like make games for Sony PS3. and PSP.

"Oh, we attacked one but not the other." Makes sense how? Maybe a deflection, maybe as Arb- said, they are being used by someone....

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I really don't get it. There is no accomplishment here besides Politicians having fodder for their push for legislation.

Me neither , there is certainly a hidden agenda here. Whatever it is only time will tell.
edit on 19-6-2011 by PheonixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
It would seem that they are trying to disturb the generation of gamers. Such as myself, 80s kid. Get rid of the games, news, tv, internet, etc etc=Riots. all you need is to blame a hacker,. am i looking into it too much?

a phoenix, birds of a feather flock together
edit on 19-6-2011 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join