It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An alternative to antibiotics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Antibiotics are one of the greatest achievements of medical science, they are not flawless though. We have seen an increasing number of drug resistant bacteria in recent times (MRSA, XDR-TB).

More and more pathogens are becoming immune to antibiotics. Some bacteria can no longer be combated. The World Health Organization WHO is warning about resistance to drugs which were once so potent. The WHO’s director-general Margaret Chan has pointed out that if measures are not taken quickly, it may soon not be possible to treat many frequently occurring infections. Figures released by the WHO show that in 2010 nearly half-a-million people were infected with a strain of tuberculosis which is resistant to many antibiotics – one third of those infected died. The Organization states that the growing spread of resistant pathogens is attributable to the indiscriminate use of penicillin and other antibiotics.

This new discovery may replace penicillin and other similar compounds. The solution? Antimicrobial peptides

“We have already identified 20 of these short chains of amino acids which kill numerous microbes, including enterococci, yeasts and molds, as well as human pathogenic bacteria such as Streptococcus mutans, which is found in the human oral cavity and causes tooth decay. Even the multi-resistant hospital bug Staphylococcus aureus is not immune, and in our tests its growth was considerably inhibited,”

As the new peptides contain cationic amino acid residues, they can bond with the negatively charged bacterial membrane and penetrate it.

“Antibiotic peptides unlock their microbicidal effect within a few minutes. They also work at a concentration of less than 1 µM, compared with conventional antibiotics which require a concentration of 10 µM,”

The best parts of this, is that these peptides can target viruses as well as bacteria and fungi. They also do not harm human body cells. The food sector could also greatly benefit from these peptides, improving the shelf-life of food.

“This is a definite possibility because the short-chain peptides tested during the project do not exhibit any allergological risk on being added to foodstuffs,”

These scientists are now pursuing the next rung on the ladder; they are going to test the antimicrobial peptides in vivo on infection models

An alternative to antibiotics

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Great info. Thanx. I have had bad experiences with antibiotics: photo-sensitivity with sulfa drugs and of course the ever-appreciated diarrhea with other kinds. I can hardly wait til these new peptides are available over the counter.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Phage was widely used in the Soviet Union as an alternative to accepted anti-biotics.

Phage

Of course the pharmaceutical industry will do its upmost to stop any more research.

Here is a vid from the BBC

Phage the virus that cures

Sorry I ignored the OP., I just get so angry about the drug industry.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by dizzylizzy

In Russia, mixed phage preparations may have a therapeutic efficacy of 50%. This equates to the complete cure of 50 of 100 patients with terminal antibiotic-resistant infection. The rate of only 50% is likely to be due to individual choices in admixtures and ineffective diagnosis of the causative agent of infection.[39]

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo
The best parts of this, is that these peptides can target viruses as well as bacteria and fungi. They also do not harm human body cells. The food sector could also greatly benefit from these peptides, improving the shelf-life of food.
That's the good news or the "updside".

My question is, "what's the downside?" Or have we just not found that yet?

If there isn't a downside, it sounds pretty good.

[begin rant]I have to apologize to you all for some of my friends and their doctors, which I think have contributed to this problem. Personally I never get sick (almost never), but some of my friends do get sick with something like the flu or a cold, and some of them go to the doctor, and ask them to prescribe antibiotics.

OK, I can accept my friends are ignorant about medicine, they aren't doctors. But I can't accept why the doctor then prescribes antibiotics??? The doctor SHOULD know better. Are they just trying to keep their patients happy, figuring if they don't prescribe it, the patient will just go to another doctor who will?

And the CDC is apparently aware of this problem so it's probably not just my friends, as they address it in their FAQ:
top of page Q: How can I prevent antibiotic-resistant infections?

1. Talk with your healthcare provider about antibiotic resistance:
* Ask whether an antibiotic is likely to be beneficial for your illness
* Ask what else you can do to feel better sooner
2. Do not take an antibiotic for a viral infection like a cold or the flu....
6. If your healthcare provider determines that you do not have a bacterial infection, ask about ways to help relieve your symptoms. Do not pressure your provider to prescribe an antibiotic.
I can't tell you how annoying it is to me to not only see my friends with a cold or a flu ask the doctor for an antibiotic, but that's only superseded by the shock and horror I feel when the doctor succumbs to the "pressure" to "prescribe an antibiotic" to fight what is clearly a viral infection. Am I the only one who's shocked by this?

Part of my problem-solving philosophy is not only to fix problems which happen (like antibiotic resistant bacteria), but also to prevent the problems from occurring in the first place ("An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"). Pressuring the health care provider to prescribe antibiotics when they are totally unnecessary and ineffective is something we need to stop doing. And how do we get the doctors to stop giving in to this pressure when they should know better? Isn't this part of the reason why antibiotics require prescriptions in the first place? Sorry, my rant isn't over yet.

What else might possibly contribute to the problem?

Q: Are antibacterial-containing products (soaps, household cleaners, etc.) better for preventing the spread of infection? Does their use add to the problem of resistance?

A: An essential part of preventing the spread of infection in the community and at home is proper hygiene. This includes hand-washing and cleaning shared items and surfaces. Antibacterial-containing products have not been proven to prevent the spread of infection better than products that do not contain antibacterial chemicals. Although a link between antibacterial chemicals used in personal cleaning products and bacterial resistance has been shown in vitro studies (in a controlled environment), no human health consequence has been demonstrated. More studies examining resistance issues related to these products are needed.

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Nonprescription Drugs Advisory Committee voted unanimously on October 20, 2005 that there was a lack of evidence supporting the benefit of consumer products including handwashes, bodywashes, etc., containing antibacterial additives over similar products not containing antibacterial additives.
So to summarize, there's NO BENEFIT to using these antibacterial products. So why use them on just that basis alone? In the meantime, "More studies examining resistance issues related to these products are needed." meaning we can't say definitively that they do or don't contribute to the resistant bacteria problem in humans, though they have been shown to contribute to resistant bacteria in the laboratory. [/rant]
I guess my concern is that bacteria evolve rapidly, compared to human evolution timescales. So what's to say that they won't also develop a resistance to the peptides?

We know some things that can cause the super-bacteria to evolve, let's try to all do our part to not giving them any more help to evolve into forms that are more dangerous to us.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

That's not a rant (O.K., technically it is but a valid one).

Blind Freddie can see that prescribing antibiotics left right and centre will lead to antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria. Evolution strongly favours this scenario. They have numbers on their side making statistical improbabilities probable in relatively short time periods. Preaching to the choir I'm sure.

Let's save antibiotics for situations when they're really needed. Antibiotics have saved my life, at least once. That along with a blood transfusion.... I can't help but feel we are shooting ourselves in the feet by treating them as a "magic bullet".

Edit - I just read your post in finer detail. Pretty much sums up my thoughts. Most of us in the western world own a car and we know where to fill it with petrol and check the oil but we all own a body and so few have even the slightest idea how it works. Very disappointing.
edit on 20-6-2011 by OZtracized because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-6-2011 by OZtracized because: Additional information

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Arbitrageur

I am completely in agreement with your 'rant' on this thread..........people need to educate themselves more and not rely on the Dr or New medicine as the be all and end all.....

The same confusion is found over people's expectations of what is Clean or what is sterilized ?
The public expect everything to be Sterile but in many cases the Need or the cost to sterilize are more than required.

On the topic, I am very interested in this new discovery and will look into this further.... if we can remove the dependance on antibiotics then the better the world will be............

PDUK

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
You should never take antibiotics unless it is very serious. It weakens the immune system, and you will become dependant on them.

"Antibiotic resistant infections" happen as a result of taking too much antibiotics in the past. It's as "helpful" to the immune system as doing bench presses with a mechanical aid is to the muscles.

But a good natural antibiotic is colloidal silver. I know a cancer survivor who credits it with curing him too.
edit on 20/6/11 by NuclearPaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by dizzylizzy
Phage was widely used in the Soviet Union as an alternative to accepted anti-biotics.

Phage

Of course the pharmaceutical industry will do its upmost to stop any more research.

Here is a vid from the BBC

Phage the virus that cures

Sorry I ignored the OP., I just get so angry about the drug industry.

why would they stop research, all these drugs are out of copyright. If they had new drugs toreplace them, they would make more money...

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by dizzylizzy

Yes, I remember my teacher telling me about this in biology. She said whilst the iron curtain was up during the cold war each side had developed different ways of combating bacteria. The west were using antibiotics and the Soviet Union were using bacteriophages.

They are currently looking into using a bacteriophage to combat MRSA

Bacteriophages are no miracle cure though, bacteria can still evolve resistance to them. Because of their specificity they can be a disadvantage when the exact species of infection is unknown, or if there are multiple infections. They are also useless in situations where the bacteria hide in human cells, typhoid fever for example. Lastly, bacteriophages are complex organisms, and as a result, they can transfer toxin genes between bacteria; a chemical could not do this

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

"Antibiotic resistant infections" happen as a result of taking too much antibiotics in the past.

No, they happen because doctors hand out prescriptions for them flippantly, even for viral infections (which they obviously have no effect on). Combine this with the fact that a lot of people never finish the entire course that was set for them which is probably the major reason why we have antibiotic resistant bacteria.

Colloidal silver does not work. Yes, silver acts as an microbicidal agent, but only when it is in its ionic state (i.e. Ag+), colloidal silver delivers inactive metallic silver which has no effect. There is no evidence to suggest that colloidal silver works in vivo. Some microbicidal effects have been observed in vitro

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Yes, this does annoy me when I hear about it. I remember when I heard about it for the first time, I was actually speechless. I don't think it's to do with money, because I'm pretty sure doctors over here do it too, where you don't have to pay an arm and a leg for healthcare. I think it's just to shut the whiny patients up so they can get on with their day and see to more 'important' patients

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Do you really think that they will allow it? Do you know how much money pharmaceutical industry makes of antibiotics every year? Not just that but as it is mentioned in that article antibiotic peptides also destroy viruses. Imagine curing AIDS, do you seriously think that will happen?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by alomaha

Do you really think that they will allow it?

Yes, as a matter of fact I do

Do you know how much money pharmaceutical industry makes of antibiotics every year?

Yes, and clearly they will not be making any money off them in a few years time because they will be absolutely useless

Not just that but as it is mentioned in that article antibiotic peptides also destroy viruses. Imagine curing AIDS, do you seriously think that will happen?

Yes

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I picked up some scrips for a family member not to long ago and realized the bag was full of anti-biotics. when I asked what they were for, she said "my doctor noticed I had a "slight" cough". incredible, if the doctors can't stay on track, how can you ever expect the patient?

also I ran into a person I hadn't seen in years. him and his wife were dousing themselves continuesly with hand sanitizer. when I tried to explain to them that they were just speeding along thier mutative process they just looked at me and said germs are gross. people are just stupid.

there was a great article I read not to long ago though, it noted that children from my generation and prior had more advanced immune systems then todays kids. and what attributed to this??? the fact that kids used to play outside all day and get dirty and scuffed up. now we have a generation of children that might never go outside to play, that means there is a plethora of bacteria they are not getting exposed to.

new topics

top topics

join