It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten things America gave up in 2011 to pay for Obama's war in Afghanistan

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
It's 2011, that's Obama's war. Not Bush's war. Obama had a choice when he was elected. He chose to continue the war

The $113 Billion Hole: Ten Things America Gave Up This Year To Pay For The War In Afghanistan

Using data from the National Priorities Project, ThinkProgress calculated ten investments America could’ve afforded if it didn’t spend $113 billion — the allotment made in Fiscal Year 2011 — on the war in Afghanistan. Each one of these policy options represents an equivalent $113 billion cost:

– Provide 57.5 Million Children With Low-Income Health Care For 2011

– Provide 23 Million People With Low-Income Health Coverage In 2011

– Give 20.2 Million $5,500 Pell Grants To Students In 2011

– Provide 14.35 million Military Veterans With VA Medical Care In 2011

– Give 14.7 million Children Head Start Funding In 2011

– Give 14.26 Million Scholarships To University Students In 2011

– Employ 1.93 million Firefighters In 2011

– Hire 1.75 Million Elementary School Teachers In 2011

- Hire 1.65 Million Police Officers In 2011

– Equip 67.8 Million Households With The Ability To Use Wind Power In 2011

– Equip 25.39 Million Households With The Ability To Use Solar Photovoltaic Energy In 2011

Of course, none of this accounts for the human cost of losing our sons and daughters in war. 177 American soldiers have died in combat in 2011, and countless Afghans lost their lives as well.

And the war machine continues.

It would be interesting to see what could have been done with the bank bailout money that Obama, McCain and Bush passed.
edit on 19-6-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

war is the continuation of politics by other means.

Carl von Clausewitz

War has been a part of human existence since Grog picked up a club and killed Ooog. OP, I'm not belittling your post. It is a sad, disgusting part of what we call civilization. As long as we covet what our neighbor has, there will be war.

S+F for putting it into perspective.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

war is the continuation of politics by other means.

Carl von Clausewitz

War has been a part of human existence since Grog picked up a club and killed Ooog. OP, I'm not belittling your post. It is a sad, disgusting part of what we call civilization. As long as we covet what our neighbor has, there will be war.

S+F for putting it into perspective.

Have to agree with you on this one. However the op is correct that the benefits of having war in Afghanistan are not really worth our time and that money would have been better spent here at home. I have no problem with securing oil as our country depends on that for our way of living but I just do see the justification for Afghanistan.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
this biggest thing that upsets me about obama and the left.

is how much he has used the military and after the decades that the left cuts the military.

defense cuts,walter reid and this list is too long to list on this thread.

how can a guy be using something he doesnt beieve in?

i watched a ron paul video last nite and it sums it up quite nicely paul said look at china they are not in constant state of war and they have $3 trillion in the bank.

now why does china have $3 trillion in the bank i ask you? cause they are not creating more problems than they try to solve.

too many people take the military and government programs for granted and they need to stop doing that.

robbing peter to pay paul always ALWAYS SCREWS OTHER PEOPLE OVER.

american return to your common sense.
edit on 19-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
You do mean Bush's war in Afghanistan, that Obama hasn't made much effort to end..

Let's at least be clear that Obama didn't start this mess... he hasn't ended it either.. but you can't just exit once you've destroyed some place.. you could, but we'd be even more hated for that. War isn't black and white... we cant be lazyboy generals at home browsing ATS and assuming we know everything that's going on.

Every president we have ever had .. has been

1. Hated
2. The Antichrist
3. Worst we've ever had..

If not in your opinion, in someone's ... that's how this work
edit on 19-6-2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

The only benefit in killing someone is that they won't be able to kill you. I could rant forever on the futility of war.

Regardless of that, we are there. The better we do our job, the sooner we can leave.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by kro32

The only benefit in killing someone is that they won't be able to kill you. I could rant forever on the futility of war.

Regardless of that, we are there. The better we do our job, the sooner we can leave.

I'm still a little lost over why we are there in the first place.
I agree with the sentiment of your post, it's just the last line that gives me pause...

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
War is the drug, our leaders are the addicts. Can they be rehabilitated or should they just be imprisoned and forgotten for their disease? We are the children doing without because our leaders would rather blow the money on a fix that doesn't fix anything. CPS won't intervene in this situation. Good luck brothers and sisters.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

The better we do our job, the sooner we can leave

That's seriously naive. There's too much money to be made with ongoing
wars. Serious money. Massive fortunes are made in war. This has nothing
to do with the kind of job we do. This is about the rich getting richer. PERIOD.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I feel like we gave up NASA too. Perhaps that was to pay for something else.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by orbitbaby
reply to post by beezzer

The better we do our job, the sooner we can leave

That's seriously naive. There's too much money to be made with ongoing
wars. Serious money. Massive fortunes are made in war. This has nothing
to do with the kind of job we do. This is about the rich getting richer. PERIOD.

Not naive. Just a soldiers opinion.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I honestly can't figure this out.

You hate the left because they cut defense spending...
And you think defense spending needs to be cut?

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
The problem - ok - let me rephrase that - One of the problems with Afghanistan is one of the same ones as we've had in Iraq, and as I suspect we'll have down the road in Libya.

That being - "Victory" is defined as ______________ and "defeat" is defined as _____________ - there is nothing to fill in the blank. There is nothing to determine when "we" have won or lost, so we slog on involved in a war without end because neither victory nor defeat has ever been defined. Nothing to say, "we won" or "we lost", "time to bring the boys home and call it a day."

If there is an "end goal" in Afghanistan, Iraq, etc - I've never heard it stated regardless of who is sitting in the Oval office.
edit on 19-6-2011 by Frogs because: me no spull 2 gud.

edit on 19-6-2011 by Frogs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

not my problem

cutting defense as in being overseas in 130 different countries.

not cutting defense to the point of non existence.

a strong well armed and well equipped military force just for when in case of emergency break the glass.

i am not for half assed usage of the nations miltary of creating more problems that they solve.

as long as this country exists we will need this nations military without it there is nothing

it is an act of treason to disarm this nation while the rest of the world arms.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I said this on another thread: If the Federal government is going to take our wages without so much as a kiss or a thank you, the very least they could do is use it for America's citizens. I'd say "good thread" but this issue is the exact opposite of good.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
LMFAO... Obama's war in Afghanistan??? That's like blaming Hillary Clinton for The war of 1812.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
And they said Bush was a warmonger.

Obama will go down in history for starting more wars in 4 years than any other president in history,

"Obama the war president"

edit on 19-6-2011 by Scoriada because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Scoriada

How long did it take for Bush to sabotage everything good Bill Clinton ever accomplished economically???

Which begs the question...

Why is it Democrats always have to wipe the toilet seat down and sanitize it after a Republican takes a dump???

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by hederahelix

That also begs the question, what was in the fine print? Short term Clinton did the economy well. But what were all the surprises that his policies gave us? By its nature politics is all about doing something and having it go wrong on somebody else's watch.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Bush started it.

Obama continued it.

Congress paid for it (ok, borrowed money to pay for it)

and the American people, with a few exceptions, merely complained more as the war continued.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join