It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

International Group to Monitor US Elections

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 12:05 AM
link   
The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe will monitor the next round of Presidential elections:
cnn.allpolitics.printthis.clickability.com... 4&expire=-1&urlID=11261137&fb=Y&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2004%2FALLPOLITICS%2F08%2F08%2Finternational.observers%2Findex.html&partnerID=2001

The group was initially invited by 15 Democratic congressmen. Colin Powell, US Secretary of State, then invited the group (as a host country must officially invite OSCE monitors) to watch over the November polling.

Members of the organizations had already stated that, as the US signed its treaty ten years ago, such monitoring should be expected.

My general worries:
-Must US elections be certified by foreign elements from now on?
-Do we need to monitor the monitors? Is there a chance that anti-Bush Europeans will cry foul if Bush wins?
-In any election, there are areas of the country with less than competent judges and unproffessional polling stations. Will local incompetence now become a wedge issue that can be exploited by foreign organizations? For instance, in 'inner city' neighborhoods of Chicago the polling judges often show up late (or drunk, or whatver). If this sort of thing happens this year, will foreign powers now have an excuse to decry american democracy?
-The fact of the matter is that thousands of foreign monitors will now be at polling stations during election day. Is this something we should feel comfortable with?

On the other hand:
-This might prevent situations like those of the last US election... like where dogs in east St. Louis were alowed to vote.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 12:10 AM
link   
They are watching, whats wrong with that?

The goal is to get a warning if there is another Hitler on the rise. Hitler was an elected official, though the election were mostly controlled by Hitlers party. There isn't anything Europe could do about US elections, but if they see foul play then they know its time to start preparing.

I don't blame them for wanting to keep an eye on the elections. I can't think of anything more terrifying than the US turning into a dictatorship through controlled elections.

So let them watch. I'm glad they are. Just because most Americans are good people doesn't mean the government can't turn corrupt. And we'll be watching them as well.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Well assoon as there is doubt about the legitimacy of any election there is usually foreign observers present for the next (in most countries that is)... seeing as the last US election was won in such controversial circumstances i think having international moniters is a great idea.

Also if there are such problems such as having drunk officials at elections, then your democracy is failing and things like this need fixed.

I say welcome the observers as this will ensure that your election this year is fair and just and not another joke likethe previous one.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Someone should of thought this up a long long time ago IMO. I think its a great idea, I really doubt that the Europians carewhat party wins anyway. As long as they win FAIRLY. This will stop any controvercy surrounding our elections like the last one, wich left so many african american people angry and dissapointed at our electorial system. I for one am glad there will be a mediator ( I think thats the word im looking for ) at the polls this year, Tho i will not be there due to the fact I dont trust either politician, or any for that matter

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 12:37 AM
link   
nothing wrong with monitoring the US elections because they do affect us all.

If the Bush Administration is honest and doesnt cheat the system and the people of their right to vote like in the gore-bush 2000 election it, maybe i would say it wasnt a necessary thing. But they illegitimately stole the reigns of power and should be compared to a third world regime.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   
hey, nothing wrong with monitoring as long as it's exclusively monitoring and there are americans involved as well.

if you consider a body of europeans neutral you're a moron.

if they want to come and help observe and assist, i'm sure the american public will appreciate it. but it ends there.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 02:46 AM
link   
This is absurd they don't need to watch our elections in the words of Chiraq then need to "mind their own business". If bush wins I can just see some anti bush European official crying foul. Would France or Germany liked it if the US scrutinized and monitored their elections.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Already got it covered here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join