It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AARP slammed for not fighting Social Security cuts

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
Entitlement programs must be cutback(if not eliminated) or we can never get back in the black.... I honestly don't understand how seniors can look themselves in the mirror knowing what they are doing to their grand and greatgrand children.

Couldn't disagree with you more. Social Security (as noted) is self-funded - unlike food stamps, welfare benefits, various grants, agricultural price support programs, etc. We *earned* the right to our social security. I also bristle at the idea that I'm doing something terrible to my children and future grandchildren. What I've paid in - and thus what I take out - has no effect on them at all. As was stated, it was the foolishness of borrowing against the fund that was the cause for the expected shortfall - that should be outlawed for all time.

My prediction: within 6 months AARP will either publically reverse themselves, or suffer such a shocking membership drop that they will cease to be a political force of any consequence.

I've already cancelled my membership.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by userid1

Couldn't disagree with you more. Social Security (as noted) is self-funded -
Wishing something were true, and continually saying something is true, does not make it true. I am sorry, but SS IS NOT SELF FUNDED. You are not paying into an account for your later use. Please wake up and see the truth. YOU are not paying for YOUR future use. Please stop buying that lie. YOU are paying for current retirees. There is NO SS TRUST FUND. There was supposed to be, but it is no longer in existence. Put down the koolaid and look at the world as it is. Take off the rose colored glasses. The "trust fund" was looted long ago. It is gone, it is over. We have to work to fix our budget with what we have now. We have to see reality as it is. Wishing does not make it so.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
AARP is a dim/lib stronghold.....I dont bother with anything they say...or dont say

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776

Wishing something were true, and continually saying something is true, does not make it true. I am sorry, but SS IS NOT SELF FUNDED. You are not paying into an account for your later use...

Semantics.

The systems depends on dedicated contributions not general tax dollars as do the other programs I noted. Whether it's MY specific dollars or someone else's that provide me my SS check is a wash as someone will receive MY contribution dollars for their SS check.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I think the Federal Government should pass the following Legislation:

If you are eligible for Social Security, Veterans Affairs Unemployability or 100% disabled, a military retirement, or a Federal Retirement....

You can only receive a maximum of $2000 a month. Figure out how to live on it.

Too many Baby Boomers and we can't afford everything they were promised...Plus they should have their homes paid for by now. They've been working for 45+ years.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

I am not sure of what is more absurd... People being pissed AARP failed to move on a policy initiative, or the fact people are upset a private business failed to do what the plurality of Americans should be doing, which is letting the Government know who they feel, and not how AARP feels.

We have become so slack jawed howl at the moon retarded that we are now resigned to being ok to the extent of letting business represent what is in our best intrest.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
I think this issue is really about priorities. Yes, we need to stop all the wars, corporate and foreign aid, and wasteful spending in general.....but I think we have a moral obligation to take care of those in need, including the elderly.

I agree with this statement. WE need to take care of those in need, no the government.

WE are the government. WE approved of these laws. WE have paid into these programs.

Government does have a responsibility to take care of the public. The government is merely an extension of the public. If it becomes corrupt, we must change the government, but not cut the programs that we pay into, that benefit us.

WE have abdicated all responsibility, from raising our children, the handicapped, the elderly, to the government.

WE need to start taking care of our own. Not passing the buck, passing the blame, passing the responsibility.

I absolutely agree. We need to not think of the 'government' as a foreign entity that will provide for us. That is indeed a trap of subservience that leads to a welfare state. But I think the way to combat this is to remember our government is BY the people, FOR the people. Social Security may have been misspent, but that shouldnt mean the seniors who paid in for 40 years should be denied it. That money didnt disappear into space. And those who now have it are pretending their broke. BULLSNIP!

That isn't fiscal conservatism. It's corporate apology.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

We have become so slack jawed howl at the moon retarded that we are now resigned to being ok to the extent of letting government represent what is in our best intrest.

thats what you meant to say ? please say so.

to the op arrp didnt cry to much when obama stole millions from medicaid and medicare to pay for obamacare

dunno i think aarp has just become too senile.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

edit on 19-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
obama stole millions from medicaid and medicare to pay for obamacare

link

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

edit on 20-6-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Business, Government - My point is we the people have allowed those groups to decide what should be best for us, while we sit by an complain about their decisions.

We have become so apathetic when it comes to government, that we have seem to forgotten the fact they answer to us and not the other way around.

To those people who are upset about AARP and its lack of action, where exactly were you at when you saw this coming down the pipeline? I didnt seen a million geriatric march, protesting these actions. Instead, we see people complaining about AARPs action.

misplaced anger on part of the older folks.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join