It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Princess of whales: How a naked female scientist tries to tame belugas in the freezing Arctic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Princess of whales: How a naked female scientist tries to tame belugas in the freezing Arctic

www.dailymail.co.uk

Braving sub-zero temperatures, she has thrown caution — and her clothes — to the wind to tame two beluga whales in a unique and controversial experiment. Natalia Avseenko, 36, was persuaded to strip naked as marine experts believe belugas do not like to be touched by artificial materials such as diving suits. The skilled Russian diver took the plunge as the water temperature hit minus 1.5 degrees Centigrade. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 19-6-2011 by aRogue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Can someone please explain why these threads are dissapearing? An explantion from staff would suffice...

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
This article isn't completely passing the credibility test for me. She holds her breath for ten minutes and 40 seconds underwater in temperatures that would kill the average person in five???

I don't know of anyone who can hold her breath that long under ideal circumstances, much less in below-freezing water.

Not to mention, the whole point of what she's doing is to "tame" the wild whales so they can be taken to zoos.

edit on 19-6-2011 by Schkeptick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
...and the fact she was quite fit had nothing to do with it..honest. lol

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I agree, anything Zoo related i'm against.

But what she's doing here hasn't really been done before (the being naked part)...

And isn't holding your breath for 8mins in any temps pretty common these days amongst professional deep sea divers?

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
You have to comment, give a direction to the thread. Elaborate a little more and it won't disappear.

More related to the subject, in cold water it is possible to hold longer because the heart slows down after the initial shock. Try it in a pool at 85F and 55F and you'll notice it yourself.

About echo-location, it is possible that the material of a diving suit acts like the paint on a F-117.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Pictures or gtfo.
Nevermind...you can't post those pictures.
She's rather attractive too.

I don't see the point of this unless its actually a valid article.
That or the actual "use" of taming a beluga whale.
Seeing as the water is entirely too cold for humans to swim, let alone for 10 minutes.
Phew!

That's an extreme job.
I'd like to be one of the helpers.

edit on 19-6-2011 by havok because: Added info

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Seawater/saltwater can remain liquid below freezing, and so can fresh water under pressure, like deep lakes, and under the Antarctic ice cap. I don't think its common for divers of most any discipline to hold their breath for 10 minutes. Though the cold can slow the bodily function requiring less oxygen circulation but this story is very extreme. Mammalian Reflex?

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by aRogue

And isn't holding your breath for 8mins in any temps pretty common these days amongst professional deep sea divers?

Doubt it.

The current world record for holding breath under water stands at eight minutes and 58 seconds.

David Blaine had tried to break the record back in 2006. news.bbc.co.uk...

Now, the article states that:

However, Natalia is a yoga expert and used meditation techniques to hold her breath and stay under water for an incredible ten minutes and 40 seconds.

I don't buy that for a second. And if that wasn't enough, she's naked in sub zero water ??

Surviving in sub zero water needs one heck of a will power, it's something Wim Hof could do, so not impossible but holding her breath for that long...nah...

en.wikipedia.org...

But I did enjoy the naked pics !!

This looks like a marketing push...very much so.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

Pictures or gtfo. Nevermind...you can't post those pictures. She's rather attractive too.

You telling me that it's ok for the mainstream media (The Daily Mail is a conservative news organisation) to print those pictures but they are censored here? thats poor.

edit on 19-6-2011 by PheonixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
The pictures were really beautiful! I never knew these Beluga whales had a wide range of facial expressions similar to humans. Very interesting. And it says that she uses Yoga to survive the temperatures and hold her breath. I wonder if that is the norm for people doing that kind of work??

I wonder what they mean by 'taming them' though. It sounds a bit depressing, especially if they are going off to the zoo now.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
This is either fake or she is not human. You take your pick.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Oh man! awesome! I think this guy that made the comment on the website speaks my thoughts on this.

Yeah RIGHT!! And, the other "scientists" get to see her NAKED!!! The jokes on her! They probably had a bet going..."what can we say to get her out of her clothes? Hmmmm? "I know...tell her the Whales don't like skin diving outfits...yeah, that's it! She's gullible as hell...she'll buy it...trust me! I bet you $20. she'll be in there naked in 20 minutes! You're on...it's a bet!.....20 minutes later...PAY UP, SUCKER! Hey, get the camera...I'm puttin' this on youtube! LOL
- rick, Allentown, PA, U.S.A., 19/6/2011 03:05

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by PheonixOD

Too many fantastic aspects of this story. I will say, a wonderful job of PR work, can't be topped!

I suspect this story sorta is a take off on a story of a few years ago of a female that "co-mingled" with male dolphins. Even to the extent of handling one to an exciting, climatic experience, all in the interest of science, of course.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun
reply to post by PheonixOD

I suspect this story sorta is a take off on a story of a few years ago of a female that "co-mingled" with male dolphins. Even to the extent of handling one to an exciting, climatic experience, all in the interest of science, of course.
Uhm, link plox??? sauce?

top topics

join