It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Germany: Facebook-posted party turns into riot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Facebook-posted party turns into riot

A huge party in the western town of Wuppertal organized anonymously via Facebook resulted in a riot on Friday night, leaving 16 people injured and three charged with public order offences.

Police said an unknown user sent out invitations to the party through the social networking site, eliciting around 1,500 replies from people saying they would come.

An estimated 800 people were there at its the party's height.

Police said they decided to intervene when bottles and fireworks began to be thrown from the crowd. One person was taken to hospital during the fight, one police officer was treated for pepper spray injuries, while a total of 41 people were detained, three of whom were charged with bodily harm and breaching the peace.

The incident follows an incident in Hamburg two weeks ago, when a teenager accidentally sent an invitation for her 16th birthday party to the entire Facebook network.

Around 1,400 young people turned up to that event, and police struggled to control the crowd. Eleven people were arrested.

Earlier this week, a German police union said Facebook users who put party invitations online and then have to call the police could be landed with a bill to pay for the law and order.

edit on 19-6-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
This is something we have all learned at one point or another as teenagers and your parents are trusting enough to leave you at home alone. Kids throw parties, and they can easily get out of control. If you are dumb enough to post it on facebook and invite everyone and their pets.. this is what happens.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
The police made sure it turned into a riot. Leave us alone

Police said they decided to intervene

This inspires me to organize myself a Facebook party.

edit on 19-6-2011 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by TribeOfManyColours

I aspire to be just like you, teach me. They probably intervened when things started to get ugly, I'm sure you, your parents or your neighbors would hate having this sort of...out of control? party in the neighborhood, let alone the street. You can have a good time without throwing bottles and flares...

As for the police, most are level-headed, wanting to keep people like you safe, even if you go out of your way to wreak havoc. Most have kids, wives and friends that they also want to keep safe. Cut them some slack.
edit on 19-6-2011 by Sounds_of_Silence because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join