It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm thinking about writing a book.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I've never seriously considered writing a novel mainly because my life is boring and I'm afraid it would turn out feeling unemotive and uninspired. But I think I can get away with writing a novel based on the conspiracy theories I've conjured up. People would start reading in anticipation of a good mind# and nothing else- and I'm confident I could provide at least that.

I'd probably start the story off with an unrecognized Metal band (because I'd be familiar with this) approaching a record company with very little hope of getting signed. To the band's surprise, they get a deal and reach semi-mainstream success. The vocalist/lead guitarist starts having meetings with the record label guy(?) that the other band members are unaware of. He naively complies with the odd requests of the record label guy and the rest of the band accuses him of wanting to "sell out". From there, he witnesses all kinds of strange, paranormal events and bizarre occurrences. He transforms from a complete skeptic to a zealot before getting some kind of "accidental" hint of the Illuminati/New World Order. At this point, he undergoes a major paradigm shift. He has to perceive the apocalyptic events from a unique point of view to comprehend what is happening, though it is rather obvious once you have a tiny, key bit of knowledge. The rest of the plot would involve further mind#ing; possibly integrating TWO Illuminati-like secret organizations trying to counteract each other.

I definitely want the reader to make blind assumptions at the beginning of the story that turn out to be utterly false later on in the book. I want to make the audience feel vulnerable. There should be plenty of ways to do this.

Do you guys think I should spend more time planning this out before ever picking up a pencil or should I just start writing and see where it goes?

Thanks

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Start writing. Every first draft is terrible - so just expect that, and fix it in the edits.

There is a saying that (paraphrase) - "no story is so bad that a good writer can't make it interesting, and no story is so good that a bad writer can't ruin it".

So get after it. And good luck.

ETA: absolutewrite.com...
edit on 19-6-2011 by Schkeptick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Just start writing and re-writing what you have wrote sooner or later something will pop out. Keep a notebook handy no matter where you go, and jot down thoughts. A useful thing I have learned is make a chronological list of what you want to do, and then create your characters. It seems to help flesh out any thoughts you maybe having, doesn't mean you have to use everything you jot down, but helps flesh it out. Hope that helps and good luck in your adventure into writing.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Thanks, guys. You both brought up some good points. I leave for a week-long camping trip tomorrow so that would be a perfect time for me to start writing. I'm sure I'll be posting updates on these forums once I start writing.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by BirdOfillOmen

every writer is different. Personally I like to plan it all out before I write it, but then again, I don't really write fiction. If I was to undertake a project like yours, then I'd probably start writing bits and parts of the personal dialog (not necessarily in chronological order to the story, but just as inspiration hit me). At the same time, though I'd be doing very real research into the subject matter in order to pepper it with enough 'Truth' to make people feel as if the book is truly some sort of revelation of some of the darker, and more mysterious conspiracies around us. I'd use The Da Vinci Code as a bit of a Model...not in subject matter, but I'd try to copy the way it mixes very real (and by real, I mean, based on real research...not necessarily true) conspiracies, with a fictional story. Of course hopefully you can do this without resorting to stealing the research of others outright (The Da Vinci Code was based almost entirely on the very real research done by Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh) and you can base it on your own research.

I think the important thing with a book like this, is to make the reader believe that they themselves are uncovering very real conspiracies, from the real world, as they read your fictional story. I've seen some books use the ever so slightly underhanded theme of strongly suggesting that the story is in fact true, and written by an 'insider' who could not get his story out otherwise without writing it in a fictionalized version (not suggesting you do that...just giving an example of the lengths some go to, to give their book that 'Real' feel to it).

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
I like the concept. And an answer to your question, just start writing. Any ideas you have write them down, bring a pad and pen everywhere you go so you don't forget anything.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
I'm writing a book myself, mostly it's a tale of conspiracies, madness, sex.,and pain.
In the end. It's a sheer emotional strain to write. I have basically lost my mind to these sites. Dude, try not to loose it writing it. I make the mistake of emotionally connecting myself to the characters, without making Mary Sues. That is by the grace of god itself. Well peace out dude., enjoy yourself.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
My advice would be to start writing, just as others have suggested. Nothing gets done until you actually start to do it. If you sit around all the time thinking about what you will do, then you'll never begin to do it because you'll always come up with a better way that it could be done if you were to do it.

Just start writing, and if you lose interest writing one portion but have an idea for another, stop and move on. You can write while jumping back and forth with various ideas so long as you keep your notes and your drafts organized. Doing things in this manner will sometimes also yield a very different and much better story in the end.

I would only make one suggestion though. You may want to do at least a little research into how to properly format your draft before you begin so that you are writing using that format the entire time. It will save you a lot of work later on.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
I'm writing a book myself, mostly it's a tale of conspiracies, madness, sex.,and pain.
In the end. It's a sheer emotional strain to write. I have basically lost my mind to these sites. Dude, try not to loose it writing it. I make the mistake of emotionally connecting myself to the characters, without making Mary Sues. That is by the grace of god itself. Well peace out dude., enjoy yourself.

yup, just enjoy yourself.

new topics

top topics

join