It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cattle Are Dying From Starvation and Dehydration Poisoning In Japan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Poor animals, all i can say.

Situation is out of control
edit on 19-6-2011 by grinitagi because: correct link

Mod edit: Changed title to properly reflect the reality of this video.
edit on 21-6-2011 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Lets just hope none of that comes over here and ends up on our grocers shelves .

Second line because i don't know what else to say ...

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Those cattle are inside the no go zone

Look closely at them...you will see why they are dying...hint: you won't get alot of good steaks out of them.

ok, no hints...they are dropping due to starvation.
from their website:

LIVES UNSEEN IN NUCLEAR GHOST TOWNS
Starving. Scared. Waiting. Animals are trapped in evacuated cities inside a 20km (soon to expand) radius around Fukushima’s shattered nuclear power plant. Since a 9.0 earthquake and tsunami (3/11/11) crushed over 400 miles of northeastern Japan coast, the damaged plant continues to emit inivisible rays. Residents are gone. But life is evident in these ghost towns. Some 4,000 cows, 31,000 pigs, 630,000 chickens, 100 horses — along with 5,800 registered dogs and an unknown number of cats — live unseen. They are without food, water, care or comfort.

Not to say that this somehow makes it better...and I guess indirectly the radiation is the cause of their death (aka, nobody is going in the radiation zone to do your typical farming duties).

link   
That is enough to make me sick. What is wrong with the Japanese and this obsession the authorities seem to have with trying to 'salvage' the area directly effected here?? If the animals are dropping, then NONE of them are safe for anything related to what livestock would be kept alive for. Someone over there needs to have some compassion and simply put these animals down. It's brutal and it will be ugly for the people doing it, but it's a mercy to the animals. That goes for Cattle, Dogs, Cats and anything else still running around in the areas that are obviously heavily contaminated.

In the case of the animals turning feral, it's also a very serious public health and safety issue. Even the family pet can range surprisingly long distances...They just don't seem to be thinking anything through over there at any level. It was just last month they were still babbling about somehow salvaging farmland in Fuku Prefecture. Umm.. Reality Check....Damage control, not salvage is the ONLY approach until the reactors are cold or encased in concrete at a bare minimum for time.

link   
Where is the evidence that these cows are dying from radiation???

Radiation sickness in animals is pretty noticeable, such as hair falling out, weight loss, vomiting, etc...

What I see is a bunch of dead cows and a sign in a language that looks Japanese or Chinese, but nothing at all that relates it to what is happening at the nuclear site.

How far is this location from the reactors?

Sorry, but this could have been filmed just about anywhere...

While the situation in Japan is horrific, I don't think this is related until I see other evidence.

TO ADD: A few people on the youtube comments are saying it's not the radiation that is killing the cows, it's the starvation and dehydration because no people are around to take care of them and there is no food and water being brought in. OP should fact check before blaming this directly on the radiation.

~Namaste
edit on 19-6-2011 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Incidently, that reminds me

in any SHTF senario, please take a half moment and open up cages before you run away..let the animals at least have a fighting chance in the wild verses starve or thirst to death in some cage somewhere...sure, the fish may be up the creek without a paddle (ok, not literally, they would welcome a creek), but the rest of the furries, from cats to cows, can potentially carve out an existance.

Always annoyed me about post apoc movies...doors always closed when they know full well they are not coming back.

pet stores, zoo's, farms, etc...

link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

True on how generic the footage appears, but the official statements coming from the Prefecture government and the central Government in Tokyo make this video very easy for me to accept as coming from where they claim it did. The road and sign set up is also the same I've been watching on various videos from daring folks who have gone in and out of the exclusion zone since this began. A lot of brave people over there risking their own health just to get videos and record what is actually happening, beyond the official line of bull.

link   
Why am I getting the impression these animals have been abandoned? I hear them calling for food!

I certainly wish there was some sort of explanation other than a title to go on; if an animal is not fed and watered it will die!

I am not discounting the situation, but if they are abandoned why doesn't the person filming open the corrals and let them find something to eat, if they are going to die by exposure at least let them have water and food!

This is very disturbing to me! I think about this often as we all may face the day when we are told to leave and to abandon animals. I would never let them stay confined without! Never!

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by grinitagi

They actually have a radiation hotline that is free to call. It lets you know the background radiation if you tell them your zip code or postal code. The number is 1-985-655-2500.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
That is enough to make me sick. What is wrong with the Japanese and this obsession the authorities seem to have with trying to 'salvage' the area directly effected here?? If the animals are dropping, then NONE of them are safe for anything related to what livestock would be kept alive for. Someone over there needs to have some compassion and simply put these animals down. It's brutal and it will be ugly for the people doing it, but it's a mercy to the animals.

I suspect that is what is about to happen...some people to go in and simply slaughter the starving animals that will not be used...but keep in mind, not everyone wants to travel inside a no go zone just to put a bullet in a starving cow that will die soon anyhow from...well, starvation

Would you risk cancer to kill a starving goat?

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
Where is the evidence that these cows are dying from radiation???

On ATS, you dont need evidence to make a scary misleading thread title.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

(since the thread actually is about abandoned animals moreso than radioactive cows)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

No, I certainly wouldn't personally enter the exclusion zone just to put down animals. I would imagine they have teams moving across the zone for assessments and measurements fairly regularly though. Perhaps the Japanese can temporarily suspend their almost fanatic hatred for firearms and let those folks who are there already, carry one and do the job that needs done. Just a thought on how to accomplish it without risking people specifically for the task.

I'd say they could poison them from the air....but that's kinda redundant isn't it? If letting them die slow from poison is acceptable, well, they are going that way before long anyway. What a health issue though. I wonder what the actual threats are in relation to everything from dogs to birds freely moving in and out of both a radioactive disaster zone but additionally, a growing health nightmare with who knows how many carcases laying around and festering. So many different issues with this and each would be a crisis in it's own right in any other circumstance.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
here is the actual Source of the video

Earlier this April we made our way to Fukushima to do some investigative reporting of the current conditions in the five- to ten-kilometer area around the Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Power Plant. This is the first in a series of articles where we will report our findings from our time on the ground in Fukushima.

The location for our first story is a ranch in Namie, a town located 10 kilometers from the nuclear plant. Here, instead of the lively sounds of farmers going about their daily work, the air is filled with the desperate cries of abandoned cattle. Going to the barn to investigate, we found that over half the cattle in every pen were dead, and the rest were letting out heartbreaking cries for help as they stood among the corpses.

Its sad of course...them cows should be barbecued on muh plate and in muh belly!
But I digress...seeing an animal starve to death is just damn depressing...more depressing are the countless videos of dogs and cats suffering the same fate.

It is sort of amusing though to see the pack animals wandering around the streets though that are doing alright...they seem..well, happy in a way...call back to nature or whatnot.

Perhaps the OP or mod can alter the title to fit what the video is actually showing? aka, animals are dying from starvation...

Not to say they don't also suffer from radiation sickness of course being so close to the meltdown, but...well, you know...accuracy and such.
edit on 19-6-2011 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   

They are dieing because they haven't been fed.

Are you serious?
edit on 19-6-2011 by Miraj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

They are dieing because they haven't been fed.

Are you serious?
edit on 19-6-2011 by Miraj because: (no reason given)

Dont come down hard on the op. someone from youtube took a rocketnews piece, relabelled it, and put it out there just to amp up the worries for whatever reason (youtube hits no doubt). I mean, ultimately, its not too hard to believe that cattle will be suffering close to the powerplant...but ya, they will starve out long before they start dying from radiation sickness

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
This is going to sound bad but I have more compassion and empathy towards animals, then human beings.

I would risk my life to try to help them but that's just me.

Of course, there are people I would die for and care about deeply. But just seeing the horror and destruction we as a species are capable of, disgusts me.

Not all of us are of this nature and we are capable of great things. I wish they would have the compassion to help or do what was neccessary to help those poor animals.

Leave thier body & soul for one minute, place it in theirs, and feel the pain they are suffering.

For only then will you be human!

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrismicha77
Of course, there are people I would die for and care about deeply. But just seeing the horror and destruction we as a species are capable of, disgusts me.

You know, when a lion takes over a new den (often by murdering a former lion and claiming their lioness's), if the lioness spends too much time tending to the cubs, the new lion will eat the cubs.

imagine if the lions ruled the earth

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

True but humans are capable of some of the most gruesome horrible acts upon every living thing upon this earth.

Lions do rule the world. They just look human.

edit on 19-6-2011 by chrismicha77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
well if it makes it over here for a while in teh states its really going to suck bad... this should be a wake up call

top topics

<<   2 >>

join