It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Helicopters Intercept Aircraft Near U.S. Capital

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Helicopters Intercept Aircraft Near U.S. Capital

news.discovery.com

Coast Guard helicopters intercepted a small aircraft that entered restricted air space near the US capital on Saturday, military officials said.

The North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) said it ordered the action after the "small general aviation aircraft" approached the capital region without authorization at about 11:50 am (1550 GMT).

"Upon being intercepted, the civilian aircraft was diverted to Annapolis (in Maryland) where the pilot was to meet with local law enforcement," NORAD said in a statement.

It did not provide further details on the pilot, the aircraft, it
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
The article mentions this happened two other time in the past week. Is this a common occurrence, or something new?

There really isnt much to the story yet, but it sounds interesting none the less.

thoughts? IS this a new trend? IS it just because of more air traffic these days, or is it a weakness in our air defense?

news.discovery.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Wow, NORAD seems to be Johnny-on-the-Spot these days to intercept planes. Too bad they didn't have the same punctuality on the day four hijacked planes ran amok and killed thousands of people in America. Just another one of those unfortunate coincidences of 9/11, I guess.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Intriguing NORAD only Stands Down during False Flags, errr...Alleged 'Terrorist Attacks'

The World We Dwell In

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy
Wow, NORAD seems to be Johnny-on-the-Spot these days to intercept planes. Too bad they didn't have the same punctuality on the day four hijacked planes ran amok and killed thousands of people in America. Just another one of those unfortunate coincidences of 9/11, I guess.

I don't believe it was the job of NORAD to monitor air traffic within the country prior to 9/11. Their entire purpose was to monitor the air space outside in the event the Russians or somebody else tries to invade. They also monitored planes suspected of drug trafficking at other such craft. Their primary purpose as since been redefined obviously since 9/11.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Its safe to say some poor schmuck flying that plane probably had to change his underwear afterwards. Being corraled for two F-15 fighter jets is probably horrifying from the cockpit of a tiny single engine.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
This happens several times a year. It's usually some idiot that gets lost and deviates from his flight path. U.S. Capital, and White House, air space is HUGE. A pilot may not even be able to see either of them out his window and still be considered "over" them.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   

you pose some interesting thoughts.

maybe 9/11 is not what we are told....

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by zarlaan

I don't believe it was the job of NORAD to monitor air traffic within the country prior to 9/11. Their entire purpose was to monitor the air space outside in the event the Russians or somebody else tries to invade. They also monitored planes suspected of drug trafficking at other such craft. Their primary purpose as since been redefined obviously since 9/11.

You do know that NORAD was conducting a drill for intercepting hijacked airplanes during the events of September 11, 2001, right? It's well documented and the people involved in the drill didn't even realize what was going on was actually happening.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Well documented amongst the same conspiracy websites you mean? Most of that information is the same untrue speculation being regurgitated amongst the sites with each adding their own hyperbole.

My point still stands. It was not the purpose of NORAD at that time to really monitor the air space within North American borders. At that time NORAD still had to contact the FAA for detailed information regarding commercial craft.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by zarlaan
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Well documented amongst the same conspiracy websites you mean? Most of that information is the same untrue speculation being regurgitated amongst the sites with each adding their own hyperbole.

My point still stands. It was not the purpose of NORAD at that time to really monitor the air space within North American borders. At that time NORAD still had to contact the FAA for detailed information regarding commercial craft.

Check out these pages:

en.wikipedia.org...

www.usatoday.com...

It most certainly is well documented by conspiracy sites. I don't really like using them for sources. However, I remember this information from a long time ago.

In fact one of the key things to realize here is that officially, due to these wargames during the 9/11 events, NORAD issued the stand-down for intercepting these planes because they thought it was just part of a simulation. If I remember correctly, it was actually Dick Cheney himself that ordered the stand down. The same Dick Cheney that signed PNAC. The same PNAC that dictates that America needed to experience another "pearl-harbour" like attack in order to justify using force in the Middle East. Hmmm

top topics

join