It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please - If You Know ColoradoJens - Pay Attention! - The best band from Canada You Don't Know - Sta

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
So I learned of this band about two years ago - they've been around for a lot longer time than that - I bought tix to see them at the Bluebird off Colfax here in Denver but for the first time in their history, they had to cancel the show due to weather - this is a Canadian band. If you like blues, rock, country, new wave, Amy Millan kicks apples...I am in love with her because of her writing, playing and singing. The rest of the band ain't bad....give it up for Stars and Amy Milan....

And Amy: He Brings Out the Whiskey in Me: Please Listen and understand her:

Window Bird Stars - wait until the end - awesome jam!

campfire style:

Fixed:

Now on Jimmy Fallon:

Their most popular vids. Now the good stuff:

Take Me to the Riot:

Undertow:

My fav: The Night Starts Here:

The one I heard after my divorce to my gal of twenty years...made me sad as sad can be...

I hope you enjoy and explore more: They have like twenty amazing songs - these are just my favs...

CJ
edit on 19-6-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

I found this song a while ago; when it first was released. You might want to listen its somewhat similar to the music you posted!>

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by TheUniverse

I am listening right now - very cool - awesome fast time response! Thanks - I'll explore more...I like her voice - where are these guys from? Canada? Best music scene out there...

CJ

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

I'm not sure where they hail from, sorry sorta busy! I just found the music somewhat relative or similar!

-Peace!

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TheUniverse

All good, liked the style!

CJ

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I absolutely love "one more night". This style of music is what I I like. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I love Stars. I have seen them many times in clubs and opening for a few bigger bands. Most of the members are also in Broken Social Scene. If you like Stars and haven't heard of BSS, have a listen. If you like them, they are heading your way in September..

Both great Canadian bands.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

These are just opinions. I know it's nice to have your friends support you, but.... The music industry is like the movie industry, people don't act anymore, the audience is generally distracted by effects and so it is in the music industry, it's all make believe, especially the hype and actual popularity. The Junos are a good example, they "pushed" Bieberface like a bad drug that nobody wanted, so they cranked up the canned screaming and clapping for all the sheep at home watching the show, it's called market steering.

If an A/R guy came to me looking for a job and as a reference said he signed this group, I'd show him the door. It sounds like bad karaoke. Her voice is weak, in many cases off-key and the band in most of the videos wasn't even close to tight, actually they sound like they haven't even practiced together.

That being said, the band might want to practice a lot more together, so they become anticipatory of their team members playing styles, timing and moves. The singer might want to get a pair of ear buds and an Antares Autotune and use it in real-time (but they'll need a programmer to make her voice follow the right notes). I could tell you the names of a few of the major singers that use the Antares machine on stage and in the studio, but no point. Do I have experience in the music industry, oh yeah.

I honestly don't understand how this type of band gets anywhere. Hopefully they will get better and actually warrant real attention.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

You work in the industry? Cool. And thank you for your level headed response. I do find it interesting however, as Amy Millan is very famous, and Stars have 13 albums/cds...they tour the world with amazing success, play all the dave letterman, jimy fallon shows, headlined at cochella with broken social scene (another band Amy plays in)...and you would turn them away? Perhaps your ear isn't what you think? I could understand not liking the music, but to say they sound like they don't practice and are off key, well, I guess yo would know - but you would have been fired by your boss who wanted to make a lot of money off real musicians. IMHO. They have been around since the late 90's btw: here's where you would have been looking at the tv screen and saying, well, my trained ear said they don't know how to play, and now look:

Awards

Juno nominations

The Juno Awards are presented by the Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. Stars has received two nominations.[6][7]

Heart

Alternative Album of the Year

Nominated

Set Yourself on Fire

Alternative Album of the Year

Nominated

[edit] Polaris Music Prizes

The Polaris Music Prize is awarded annually to the best full-length Canadian album based on artistic merit. Stars has received one nomination.[8]

In Our Bedroom After the War

Polaris Music Prize

Nominated

[edit] TV appearances
Live! At the Rehearsal Hall
Late Night with Conan O'Brien[9]
Late Night With Jimmy Fallon

But yeah, they should probably practice more...

CJ

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

GAOTU - yes, Broken Social Scene is great! I am a little ashamed I only discovered Feist, B.S.S. Stars, etc in the last few years. I think one of the reasons I like it is they play songs that never sound the same...there is a lot of variety, good beats, clever hooks, and Amy's voice - you either love it or hate it - well, I fell in love with it the moment I heard it. I also love the fact that Broken Social Scene looks like a carnival on stage - how many people are in that band?

I was bummed I missed Stars in Jan. I will not miss Broken Social Scene. Thanks again!

ColoradoJens

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tinker9917

Thanks tinker9917 - One More Night was the first song by Stars I ever heard - a week after my wife divorced me!
Needless to say, it was a song I listened to for a while; still kinda bums me to hear but I love it - it's just a hard tune to swallow...thanks again!

CJ

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
the only type of canadian music that is even remotely good anymore comes out of the quebec metal scene.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

I was at the Juno's in 2011, sorry, I only sat beside Neil Young and babbled with Meagan Smith's partner, go figure. Did you know Johnny Reid was wearing ear buds in both ears (shades of an Antares Autotune muw haha) and used a 6 foot karaoke screen, to remember his words I guess.. shrug. It's all make believe, trust me ;-)

It's funny actually that you mention Stars is soooo popular. So is Justine Beiber apparently, but while I was sitting there at the Juno's with the real artists and they announced Beiber's "prize" it was rather comical to note that there were only two little girls screaming in the coral, not the cacophony piped over sound system via canned sound effects. I also only saw a couple of dozen people actually clapping from my vantage point just ahead of the left stage however I did see a few hundred face-palms. But Beiber is popular, right? And so it can be said for any artist these days, it's all about the marketing make believe and promotion, get them sheep to succumb to peer pressure and we'll make a wack-'o-cash, huh?

It's a sad sad world.... It's even sadder the sheep look up on cue.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Cool. It sounds like you have been listening to too much Bieber. Stars has nothing to do with dance moves and fake music. They are a band, who is technically sound; you might not like the singer, again, that's opinion. I love neil young, but I know a lot of people who can't stand his voice. Same with dylan...horrifying if you don't like the voice...anyhoo...

CJ

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

Cool. It sounds like you have been listening to too much Bieber. Stars has nothing to do with dance moves and fake music. They are a band, who is technically sound; you might not like the singer, again, that's opinion. I love neil young, but I know a lot of people who can't stand his voice. Same with dylan...horrifying if you don't like the voice...anyhoo...

CJ

Everyone's has their tastes, if we didn't like different things it would be a pretty boring world ;-) And it's the differences and the details make life interesting. BTW, Bieberface sucks, you couldn't pay me to listen to that crap, I could only see it being used to torture and psychologically impair judgment. Oh wait, that's already its use.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 6/29.2011 by bobs_uruncle because: oops

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

CJ

Everyone's has their tastes, if we didn't like different things it would be a pretty boring world ;-) And it's the differences and the details make life interesting. BTW, Bieberface sucks, you couldn't pay me to listen to that crap, I could only see it being used to torture and psychologically impair judgment. Oh wait, that's already its use.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 6/29.2011 by bobs_uruncle because: oops

I can't tell you my music pedigree other than that I know a lot of music. I guarentee you know more. I enjoy all music, except some bieberish and misogoniytic or uber violent rap - you mentioned one of my all time favs, Niel Young. Here is a vid with one of my other favs; many hate them. I believe they have withstood the test of time - you?

Niel Does...peace...

CJ

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
They remind me of the collection of artists that made up the sound track to the Movie "Garden State"
I'll bet you own that soundtrack, am I right?
They would have fit right in, very nice stuff Cjens.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
They remind me of the collection of artists that made up the sound track to the Movie "Garden State"
I'll bet you own that soundtrack, am I right?
They would have fit right in, very nice stuff Cjens.

I don't buy soundtracks in general, and I don't have Garden State, but it may be one I'd get, so I guess you have me pegged there...how about this?

I have no explination and somehow none is needed....

CJ

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Excellent, but you know they aren't from Canada...

Had a college roomate that was a Bruce Fanatic.
Had the haircut...Belted out a screaming Bruce bomb whenever he felt like it.
And played those LPs and CDs all the time..I grew to love it though.
edit on 2-7-2011 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt

Excellent, but you know they aren't from Canada...

Had a college roomate that was a Bruce Fanatic.
Had the haircut...Belted out a screaming Bruce bomb whenever he felt like it.
And played those LPs and CDs all the time..I grew to love it though.
edit on 2-7-2011 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

Ah, one of the wonders of the college experience, roomates...mine were two friends from Santa Clara CA who listened to nothing but the Ramones, of all bands. This was in the early 90's remind you. They were classic!
And yes, Maiden is not from Canada, but I thought I'd throw it out for an example within the thread that yes, you can like a melodic woman lead vocal band like Stars and you can like monkey-men draggin knuckles heavy metal too...throw in some Devo and you are almost covered. Here are a couple more on the playlist now that may give you an idea of the fleeting nature of my music tastes...please toss a few up yourself if so inclined...

and then you have this...

Ahem. Maybe that last one was downloaded a little too quickly after some late night imbibing...

CJ

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join