It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Last Men of the Revolution: Photographs of Revolutionary War Soldiers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
To those that endeavor to bring history to life we salute you! What a great OP. Found it in your sig.
Bumptious.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I Can Not Thank You Enough For Posting These 'Photos'. reply to post by The Old American

I Did Not Even Know that pictures existed of the Men of the Rev. These are fantastic examples of the dawn of Photography. To gaze upon these men is truly a gift...thank you again, You truly have given me a gift. - Malcolm Johnson- Torrington, Ct. Litchfield County.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
And they say the life expectancy wasn't that great back then. These photos simply prove otherwise. Unless those dudes are like 60.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
reply to post by Misoir

The point of this thread is not the American Revolution per se. While we can, 230 years later and sitting at our computer desk drinking Dr. Thunder, think it was just, good, self-serving, or greedy, all of that is irrelevant. The tone of your post can be compared to the treatment of soldiers returning from Vietnam. The Vietnam war was self-serving and evil. But the soldiers were following orders. Even men returning that had never fired a shot were called "baby killer" and "warmonger". People couldn't separate the man from the war.

But the men that fought in the Revolution thought it was worth leaving their family and homesteads to fight for. The men themselves should be held up as examples of ultimate sacrifice. They either win independence from tyrannical rule, or die. There was no middle ground here, they knew it, and stood in the fire anyway. These men can be held above the cause. Their motive was not greed, fame, or personal prosperity. Every man that took up arms against England in that greatest of wars did it for nothing more than an idea, an idea of a new nation not ruled by a tyrant, but ruled by man and law. And, in gaining that, earning freedom and liberty.

How many Americans today are taking up arms against a tyrant? Myself, ashamedly included, have not stepped forth to "water the tree of liberty". These men did, and they are heroes for it.

/TOA

Here we go again. An American stating that Britain had a "Tyrannical" rule over the 13 Colonies. That is total rubbish.It's a "Myth" taught in American schools. Here is the truth and it comes from an American :-

www.gilderlehrman.org...

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
I do not want to come off as the cold cynic here but unfortunately that is what I must. While these men deserve the utmost respect for fighting ferociously towards a cause they believed was just, moral, and righteous and since I would never dream of trying to take anything away from heroes of war please do not let my following post be categorized as any sort of attack on these men personally.

For all those here who look back on the American Revolution in awe as though it was the ultimate triumph of good over evil there is something you really must see. While most of us (I hope) had read at least most of the Declaration of Independence only a handful of us actually read the counter-argument provided by the Governor of Massachusetts during this period. He witnessed the Revolution as he lived through it and did not have positive things to say. In his attack on the Declaration of Independence he pointed out step-by-step what he saw as the absolute hypocrisy, deceit, and power-grab by these men who met in Philadelphia.

I’m only going to give you the information and let you decide for yourself how to interpret it.

oll.libertyfund.org...

To give equal validity to the opinion of a fomer Governor of Massachusetts that the the British Prime Minister, Lord North, blamed for the Revolution, without explaining that the opinion was very self-serving, does nothing for your credibility.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Wow,, what a great group of pictures to honor those of the First Revolution!!

I am proud to say I have couple of ancestors who where there,,, Direct descendant of William Cody Richmond who went on to settle in the then frontier of WV (Virginia at the time)

Love the visual History,,, great job
edit on 5/20/2012 by EarthCitizen23 because: insert Have

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Nice pictures! (:

I read the rebuttal of the Declaration of Independence posted by Misoir, and I must say, I am glad he posted it.

I find this part to be most impacting, considering the time it was written:

I should therefore be impertinent, if I attempted to shew... in what sense all men are created equal; or how far life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness may be said to be unalienable; only I could wish to ask the Delegates of Maryland, Virginia, and the Carolinas, how their Constituents justify the depriving more than an hundred thousand Africans of their rights to liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, and in some degree to their lives, if these rights are so absolutely unalienable...

He makes an excellent point that actually adds validity to his entire letter...

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Thanks for the post, OP. This is by far the most interesting - and possibly best post I've seen on the internet. Ever.
Loved it.

posted on Aug, 17 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
blah blah blah blah..... righteous war....unrighteous war...... noble intentions.....corrupt intentions.....

All that is really irrelevant to me. Thanks for this post, it is absolutely amazing. This is a part of history and a fascinating one at that. These pictures captivate me not because of the happenings (not that it doesn't add to the awe) of the time, but because you can see the stories in these men's eyes, you can feel them in their demeanor and the way they carry themselves. Truly a marvel to gaze upon those who were alive in the 18th century. These men lived in a time when seeking knowledge required more than the click of a button, a time when you had to live your ideas to convey their meaning and for that alone i give them my respect.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Found the thread, in your Sig.

Just an awesome look into our History. We need a few of these men around here NOW.

S&F
edit on 4-11-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join