It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please, Recommend to Me a Book!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Anything by John Taylor Gatto. His books involve the education system and are very eye opening.

Try:

Dumbing Us Down

The Underground History of American Education can be read from his website.
www.johntaylorgatto.com...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Yes, John Taylor Gatto. You can find some of his videos on Youtube.com He talks about how we are made into morons through education according to a plan that Carroll Quigley wrote about in Tragedy and Hope or the Anglo-American Establishment. God Save the Queen!!!!

posted on Jul, 10 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
If you are really into the fiction of intrigue, I would suggest getting books by Eric Ambler, Len Deighton, Julian Symons or for the true heir to Chandler in the hard boiled detective genre, Ross McDonald.

All of these people have written more than one good book and are worth reading through chronologically, if you are of scholarly mind, but here are some suggestions:

Eric Ambler, A Coffin for Dimitrios, Len Deighton, The Ipcress File (an astonishingly good first novel), Julian Symons, The Blackheath Poisonings (he's a great "whodunnit" writer) and Ross McDonald, The Blue Hammer (like Deighton, at times, wonderful moments of truly great literature in his poetical descriptions and turns of phrase).

I'll throw in another one for good measure. Lemons Never Lie by Donald Westlake, a very realistic account of an adventure in the life of what would be called a "rounder" in Toronto. A rounder is an independant criminal, who could work for someone else or himself as circumstances dictate.

Reading Eric Ambler from beginning to end is a real treat. His early books are classics of the novel of international intrigue, set in the 1930's, like The Dark Frontier, but his later books are really quite hip, particularly the two featuring half British, half Egyptian cab driver, Arthur Abdul Simpson, the son of an Egyptian belly dancer and a jaded cynical British Army sargeant. The Light of Day was made into the movie, Topkapi, starring Peter Ustinov as Simpson.

Ambler is just a complete joy to read. His protagonists are usually neophytes with whom the reader identifies easily. His oeuvre amounts to a first class course on how to write a popular novel.

There's a great moment in A Coffin for Dimitrios when the protagonist, a professional mystery writer himself, meets a fan who wants to present him with a great idea for a mystery novel. The fan really idolizes the writer who is gracious about receiving the adulation and consents to meet this fan at his office to look at his "ideas".

The ideas are completely ridiculous cliches and the author is wondering how to let the fan down gently, especially since he is none other than Colonel Haki, the head of the Turkish Secret Police, whom he met at a cocktail party.

The wonderful moment occurs when an aid brings a file folder in for the Colonel's signature and the writer sees the face of the man, whom he took for a buffoon, transform, almost imperceptibly into a still point of professional concentration.

After a minute or so of turning over pages, the Colonel pauses before looking at the writer and asking, "Are you interested in real murder . . ?" And the tale begins.

The people I recommended are all first class writers. If you haven't read them already you are in for a treat.
edit on 10-7-2011 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I though Chris Carter's The Executioner and Crucifix Killer were amazing

Also Jeffrey Deaver's books are great

The Skin Gods by Richard Montanari is also pretty good

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join