It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: ESA Plans Astronaut Hibernation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
The European Space Agency is funding research into the possibility of putting humans into suspended animation for long journeys into space. They hope to have the technology active in time for a planned 2033 manned mission to Mars.

www.telegraph.co.uk
Scientists at the agency hope to create a hibernation system in time for a planned manned mission to Mars in 2033.

They are drawing up plans for "sleep pods" that, according Mark Ayre, a research fellow for the agency's Advanced Concepts Team, resemble the pods in Alien and will be part of the astronauts' bedrooms.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If we can't get to or go beyond light speed then I suppose this is the way to do it. They talk of hibernation periods of six months; that opens up a lot of psychological factors. I expect NASA�s doing the same, though they reportedly don't put too much stock in the idea. I imagine though, they've probably both been at least thinking about it for a lot longer than this announcement suggests.

Related News Links:
www.esa.int

[edit on 8-8-2004 by Valhall]

[edit on 8-8-2004 by kegs]

[edit on 8-8-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Very feasible, but wait a bit longer and no need. Artificial
intelligence to replace the organic human intelligence, with
or not cross loading of human "mind" into the new containers
should be realized before the 22nd Century. After that what
sane person would submit their children to the limited
organic existence we experience? Such designs would have an
"off" switch where the entity could easily "sleep" millions
of years in the depths of space if required. In any event
the need to prevent organic planetary life forms from being
contaminated by the organic products of human metabolism
mandate that humans never land on the surface of other
planets, including Mars. Containment of contamination is
insured by remaining in space. Anything that falls into the
gravity well of a planet with an atmosphere should be
designed to be sterilized be the heat of atmospheric
friction before it impacts.

[edit on 8-8-2004 by mockan]

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Well, that's an interesting idea. I'm not sure how many people would go for that though.

The purpose of the suspended animation is so that we can eventually live on mars. I think the contamination issue is only an issue at the moment because of search for life. If we were to live there, I don't think they'd be bothered too much about contamination.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
That's fascinating. But I don't understand how this suspended animation would work? How would it prevent a person from aging?

Oh and Mockan, like we'll ever make it to the 22nd century...
Hopefully the future will brighten up though.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   

By gm0n3y
How would it prevent a person from aging?

I'm not sure if it would. I think its more to do with having to take less supplies and the psychological factors of being stuck in a cramped tin can for six months.

posted on Aug, 8 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by gm0n3y
That's fascinating. But I don't understand how this suspended animation would work? How would it prevent a person from aging?

Oh and Mockan, like we'll ever make it to the 22nd century...
Hopefully the future will brighten up though.

If you go to this link at my web site all your questions will be answered.
www.angelfire.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Ummmmmm ok, first off MOCKAN stay off the drugs.

We won't be worring about contamination. Because once were done proving that there is currently no living life one Mars, we will start moving in and it will then become OUR Planet.

I would prefer if these people would take that money being spent on suspended animation and use it to develop a faster way to get to Mars.

I would be satisfied if we could get to Mars in 3 months.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I think it's really a longer-term issue. OK we can get to Mars in months, but the next nearest star system (Alpha Centauri) would take years or even dozens of years, depending on what propulsion technology we could use.

It's a whole new can of worms of course; very long space journeys. How many people would agree to set off on a mission at say age 25 knowing they'd be an old man if they ever got back?

However if suspended animation was a proven technology then Ok presumably their bodies haven't aged too much but what about their life back on earth? things would have moved on e.g. their families would have aged a lot (maybe the astronauts grandchildren would effectively be older than they were! assuming they'd had kids in the first place of course). One or two things to consider there, I think. Maybe these kind of journeys are gonna have to be one-way.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Currently we have the tech to get
to mars in 2 months its called nuclear thermal propultion
but NASA isnt using it because of political reasons.People these
days are scared of the "n" word(nuclear) automaticly asocciating it
to things like nukes etc.
But the tech is here ... but sadly every politician is to pussy to
use it. Fu*king retards!

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 06:23 AM
link   
It's retarded to fear the realistic scenario that on the way up to the space, this nuclear material could explode in the higher atmosphere?

It's not political it is common sense.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
During the long period of hibernation with the body at ambient temperature, what happens to the immune system? I assume it shuts (slows) down like the rest of the system. What keeps latent infections from blooming during the six month trip? What happens to muscle mass, tone, cooerdination ...?

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by dubiousone
During the long period of hibernation with the body at ambient temperature, what happens to the immune system? I assume it shuts (slows) down like the rest of the system. What keeps latent infections from blooming during the six month trip? What happens to muscle mass, tone, cooerdination ...?

The cooling process slows down the evolution of bacteria etc as well so this is under control. You are correct referring to the muscle mass which is a serious problem.

At the moment scientists are investigating(I think it was) some kind of bear. They noticed that his muscles stay vital even during winter sleep - this process is watched now and they will try to adopt it for humans.
Fascinating, for sure!

new topics

top topics

join