It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. in peace talks with Taliban, Karzai says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

U.S. in peace talks with Taliban, Karzai says

KABUL — Afghan President Hamid Karzai confirmed Saturday for the first time that the Afghan and U.S. governments have begun peace discussions with Taliban insurgents, saying that the talks “have started already” and are “going well,” according to news accounts. He said foreign military forces, “especially the United States,” are “going ahead with these negotiations.”

At the same time, however, Karzai blasted the international governments and forces that have been assisting and defending his government over the past decade.

Well here we go....

We have increased attack by the Taliban, Karzi is talking about supposed peace talks taking place between the US and Taliban while the Obama administration is neither confirming nor denying.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Personally I believe it to be a very cynical way to "win" a war we lost by saying "Hey look, we brought you peace"

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
This topic has been posted on ATS multiple times. Not sure about the video but the issue is being discussed.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Yes, I know I've posted a few threads on the topic over the years.
This is the latest update.
So should the US/West declare victory and just pull out?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Yes, I know I've posted a few threads on the topic over the years.
This is the latest update.
So should the US/West declare victory and just pull out?

They should and probably will. I think they are going to start focusing on other countries in the middle east now.

Sudan and Iran primarily in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Hey thanks. i appreciate the feedback

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Yeah, how is this supposed to work in the real world? Are we going to be flying choppers off the Embassy roof in a last dash for the borders (again)? Or are we going to formally hand over facilities to enemy commanders this time?

If Obama cannot fight to win, I agree we must leave and last year wouldn't have been soon enough once we stopped fighting like we cared about the outcome. However, do we need to completely dump all over the troops and their sacrifices by actually negotiating with the same people who have been ordering attacks against them? In some cases...this may involve Taliban who directly ordered individual operations to kill Americans.

This whole thing makes me sick. Blow the bases, spike the equipment in place and see just how long it REALLY takes to get our troops out with little more than personal gear and their own rifles. I'm betting a matter of DAYS if we simply decide that taking anything with us that can't fit on a transport plane just isn't going to happen.

Let Karzai negotiate with these people when no Americans can be found to so much as offer personal security, let alone give him a stick to negotiate with.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Yeah, how is this supposed to work in the real world? Are we going to be flying choppers off the Embassy roof in a last dash for the borders (again)? Or are we going to formally hand over facilities to enemy commanders this time?

If Obama cannot fight to win, I agree we must leave and last year wouldn't have been soon enough once we stopped fighting like we cared about the outcome. However, do we need to completely dump all over the troops and their sacrifices by actually negotiating with the same people who have been ordering attacks against them? In some cases...this may involve Taliban who directly ordered individual operations to kill Americans.

This whole thing makes me sick. Blow the bases, spike the equipment in place and see just how long it REALLY takes to get our troops out with little more than personal gear and their own rifles. I'm betting a matter of DAYS if we simply decide that taking anything with us that can't fit on a transport plane just isn't going to happen.

Let Karzai negotiate with these people when no Americans can be found to so much as offer personal security, let alone give him a stick to negotiate with.

edit on 18-6-2011 by angelchanneller because: I do not how this happened if it supprors Wrabbit2000 it stands as an edt...seriously. He is a brave warrior,. If it does not because I am my usual self.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It is the 21st of June and still I have no decent reply to you Wrabbit...my apologies. I have been so focused on Syria of late...so many broken promises there, words cannot express. Jr. thinking he can get away with things just cause Papa is gone.

You must have thought me a whack job with the last edit. Truthfully, I was writing and re-writing responses to your post, none of which were really comprehensive enough. I think the reason is this...you have said it all.

To Slayer, with respect...war cannot bring peace I do not think. But it can bring the change that can bring peace. Now you may think I playing word games with you, but the Bolsheviks brought war and no peace. It looked like peace, but it was hell. It brought the constriction of a beautiful peoples intuitive, art, brilliance, genius....well, you get my gist.

So, no, we can leave...but I am with Patraeus (and I think Wrabbit)...we can leave, but that is all we will be doing.

As for the Taliban, they fight to cover their shame. That is all I can say, but they know that we know what they have brought on their people. If they had any courage, these old leaders would step down, lay down their arms and send their new guard to the peace table.

top topics

join