It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RT news: Media ignores public outrage while protesters camp out in NYC

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
rt.com...

Dozens of people have been camping outside City Hall in New York to protest budget cuts that could lead to thousands of jobs lost.
Meanwhile, the mainstream media is busy covering sex scandals and murder trials, and ignoring the voice of the people. Why?
This summer the US media is buzzing with these burning-hot stories. The masterminds of big TV networks are knee-deep in this “historic” news coverage. Sexy tweets of a congressman are being stretched to the likes of the Lewinski scandal, and every detail is getting sucked out of a child’s murder case. Meanwhile, New York City has seen a small town of its own pop up a few blocks away from Wall Street in Mayor Bloomberg’s backyard.

A loud “no” to Bloomberg-proposed budget cuts that would throw more jobs out the window. 

“End the wars, tax the rich, how we fix the deficit," they chanted. 

“The banks are sitting on trillions of dollars of our money and we’re going to stay here till we get it,” said activist Tony Murphy. 

“We want to make sure we are all prepared, so here we actually have pillows,” one activist showed RT.

This resistance is inspired by global outbursts of protests over the last year.

Here's a quick thread I made about recent world wide protests, www.abovetopsecret.com...

NYC Union Workers Camp at 'Bloombergville' to Protest Budget Cuts
newyork.cbslocal.com...

NEW YORK (CBS 2) — Union workers expressed their opposition to potentially devastating budget cuts by camping out overnight in the shadow of City Hall, Jay Dow reports.

They’re trying to save thousands of jobs. District 37 Union members and their supporters called the encampment “Bloombergville.”

“We need more money, we need contracts, we need everything,” said union member Sylvia Williams.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Sensored due in part because it is hard to throw around Democracy in every sect of the world when the truth be told your own house is not in order

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Here's the video:

S+F

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Every state has these sorts of problems and if you aren't in that particular state / city it's really not relevant news to you.. Personally I'm kinda happy that my local station is carrying the budget problems in my state rather than carrying Bloomberg's woes.

I've noticed something about RT they tend to blow up issues that we already know about and sensationalize them. Or... make a problem that is really about a particular area and claim it's a national issue.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
oh and here i was posting in another thread that i see no protests happening in the u.s. regarding the economic issues.

Now people as i posted, organize yourselves gather 500,000 or 1,000,000 people and send a distant hello to the greeks in athens, i mean its not as if they are going to arrest hundreds of thousands of people for that would require new jails to be built real fast and the obvious outcry from nations around the world would definitely send the foreign media outlets to cover the story. You do need internal media to make your problem known.

They have been there for 25 days and forced the government to restructure but the voice of the people voted that the re structure was nothing but the hand changing under the puppet so the protest continues. Tomorrow is another day of protest, well its a pan european protest day so stay tuned to the news links and before i forget, someone needs to set up a web cam over your end so people across the world can view and hear what is going on. I guess its your turn to step up to the plate and play ball.
edit on 18-6-2011 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

They have jails waiting to be filled, a lot of them!

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
The story will pick up traction when some "name" people start to camp out. Where are Ed Asner, Martin Sheen, Lady GaGa, Bruce!, when you really need them. Unions used to be the backbone of America's middle-class, so this encampment is as American as you can get.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by vkey08
Every state has these sorts of problems and if you aren't in that particular state / city it's really not relevant news to you.. Personally I'm kinda happy that my local station is carrying the budget problems in my state rather than carrying Bloomberg's woes.

I've noticed something about RT they tend to blow up issues that we already know about and sensationalize them. Or... make a problem that is really about a particular area and claim it's a national issue.

Does RT news blow things out of proportion? Perhaps, but what MSM or any other news outlet couldnt be accused of the same thing? RT is reporting on what I've been saying & most of you & the world about the MSM, they focus on non issues while ignoring the important news. Hell, I've seem at least 2 threads on ATS about Obama ordering a news black out about the Nebraska nuclear plant.

So when I see another MSM accusing US MSM of this, I applaud them. You rock RT
edit on 18-6-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by JJDoggie84
reply to post by cerebralassassins

They have jails waiting to be filled, a lot of them!

Regardless of what you think, you cannot and the government will not jail 1,000,000 million citizens.

Lets see now, how many live in N.Y. about 10 million out that how many would actually get of their fat ass and become active about something they obviously feel is beneficial to them ? but before anyone could do anything like sheep they need to be organized, this is why nothing is happening, one must organize them.

oh wow, i just realized the thread was moved...or did i miss something.
edit on 18-6-2011 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Haha, Media Warfare.

ReptilianToday versus. Mox News

---

End result: Real news gets leaked out from time to time.

Great little video right there. Glad to see people standing up for what they don't believe in.

I am also glad to see people are getting tired of complete and utter distractions such as Mr. Weiner.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

Does RT news blow things out of proportion? Perhaps, but what MSM or any other news outlet couldnt be accused of the same thing? RT is reporting on what I've been saying & most of you & the world about the MSM, they focus on non issues while ignoring the important news. Hell, I've seem at least 2 threads on ATS about Obama ordering a news black out about the Nebraska nuclear plant.

Something like the Nebraska Nuke situation is totally different (and I for the life of me cannot understand why they aren't covering it other than to not cause a panic) than local people protesting their local government over taxes/not dealing with local economics. Where I am all our news is about is the complete and utter failure of our governor to fix our budget and his lame brained plan to retro-tax people back to January. However I hardly think that what's happening here is of any interest to someone in Hawaii as National News.

Comparing the two just doesn't work.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Something like the Nebraska Nuke situation is totally different (and I for the life of me cannot understand why they aren't covering it other than to not cause a panic) than local people protesting their local government over taxes/not dealing with local economics. Where I am all our news is about is the complete and utter failure of our governor to fix our budget and his lame brained plan to retro-tax people back to January. However I hardly think that what's happening here is of any interest to someone in Hawaii as National News.

Comparing the two just doesn't work.

No they absolutely do work and can be compared. People have a Right to know. I'm sick of the excuse because it will cause a panic. Sure you can say it will cause a panic & to a point it's absolutely true. The peoe who live there will be filled with panic. So instead of informing the people & looking to resolve the situation with everyone awards, they'll just keep it hidden instead. Japanese people seem to not lose themselves to panic. But if youd like we can drop the Nebraska story & turn on Fox, CNN, etc & take a look at the non issues they love to report, which in turn infests the world wide media. It's amazing that the Weiner case is in India, Russia, etc

Oh & whoever asked before, this thread wasn't moved

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I am sure that Russian media is reporting every case were there are dozens of demonstrators. The news begin in 6:00, long list of thousands of cities is read ,ending in 12:00.
Good that Russia Today ,paid by Russian tax payer, is there to enlighten Americans about dozens of people protesting in NYC.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

i think so too, in a way.

isn't news reporting mainly a profit oriented operation ? informing us is not their business - only selling what sells.

isn't it a chainreaction ? since we don't believe their selling-stories anyway, why should they not stick to what those who buy still want. the rest in need of in-dept news look elsewhere.

isn't it similar here on ATS ? because we gather here to read on exactly what we want, ATS is able to host huge advertisers...... make a profit....... and all interested benefit ?

just an idea, no offence

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by bestintentions
reply to post by Aleister

i think so too, in a way.

isn't news reporting mainly a profit oriented operation ? informing us is not their business - only selling what sells.

isn't it a chainreaction ? since we don't believe their selling-stories anyway, why should they not stick to what those who buy still want. the rest in need of in-dept news look elsewhere.

isn't it similar here on ATS ? because we gather here to read on exactly what we want, ATS is able to host huge advertisers...... make a profit....... and all interested benefit ?

just an idea, no offence

Absolutely true! They are of course out to make money. That's how our world works. But, just because they are there to make a profit does that mean they're off the hook for responsible jouralism?

Fox news: Fair and balanced
You picking up what I'm putting down?
edit on 18-6-2011 by Swills because: Posting on iPhone is fun!

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

fore sure they are not off the hook, that is my honest opinion also. but who is it who has expectations on them to change ?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

So, you dont like sensationalism when it comes from US sources, but you feel it is justified when coming from RT?

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

However I hardly think that what's happening here is of any interest to someone in Hawaii as National News.

Curious that the national news has been all over the protests in the Middle East. Seems like that would be even less interesting/relevant to someone in Hawaii. Just sayin...

*shrug*

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

So, you dont like sensationalism when it comes from US sources, but you feel it is justified when coming from RT?

Oh no, I like it from all sources just fine

I guess we, the world, (actually I live in NY), you the world, shouldn't care?

District 37 is New York City’s largest public employees union. Members said City Hall’s proposed budget, which calls for laying off 4,100 city workers

Thousands Rally in Protest of FDNY Closures

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Something has to give. We can't have our cake & eat it, too. The government is collapsing under its own weight at all levels.

So if you don't want these things cut, come up with a better idea! I'm really serious. What should be cut instead???
edit on 19-6-2011 by Schkeptick because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join