It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our country's culture is going down the crapper.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by crmanager
I can't wait to see the abuse I will get for this but ... here I go.

My father told me a long time ago that America gives you one thing you have that few to no other country offers.

The chance to make a mistake and start over fresh.

Our culture is based on a consumerism that is a double edege sword. It ia at once ugly and wonderful.

That was the smartest thing i ever heard.
I revel in what U.S. culture is.

Chinatown in Chicago.
Fishtown in Leeland Michigan.
The hood in downtown L.A.
Miles of FRIGGIN CORN in Iowa.

And everything in between. Come to America and live how you want. Mexicans, Laotians, FRENCH, hell... Kruschev's son is a U.S. citizen.

Can anyone on this site count how many "Golden Chopstick" chinese restaurants ther are in your town? And they all taste the same! But we love um.

Man, that is American. That is America.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by qwzxas

Originally posted by crmanager
I can't wait to see the abuse I will get for this but ... here I go.

My father told me a long time ago that America gives you one thing you have that few to no other country offers.

The chance to make a mistake and start over fresh.

Our culture is based on a consumerism that is a double edege sword. It ia at once ugly and wonderful.

That was the smartest thing i ever heard.
I revel in what U.S. culture is.

Chinatown in Chicago.
Fishtown in Leeland Michigan.
The hood in downtown L.A.
Miles of FRIGGIN CORN in Iowa.

And everything in between. Come to America and live how you want. Mexicans, Laotians, FRENCH, hell... Kruschev's son is a U.S. citizen.

Can anyone on this site count how many "Golden Chopstick" chinese restaurants ther are in your town? And they all taste the same! But we love um.

Man, that is American. That is America.

that was the smartest thing i heard

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

Originally posted by Tr33stump
The american standard of living is unquestionably the best on earth.

My apologies to the author for going no further. This glib statement stopped me in my tracks.

The "American standard of living" currently rates 7th on the scale that is most generous to the American standard of living. Read all about it at ATS.

Get another source

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThunderCloud

Originally posted by tututkamen
On the other hand there is the light at the end of the tunnel...

"I can see the light at the end of the tunnel; I just hope that it's not a gorilla with a flashlight." - Lou Holtz

www.democraticunderground.com...

It's a gorilla with a flashlight. This site boasts 30,000+ registered.
Look at what they are saying needs to be done for their side to
win the election. This is insane. The generations coming into age
now think they can win by illegal and anarchist ways, and that the
end justifies the means.

Truth is something that can't be found, or at best is laughed at
as antiquated.

Our countries culture IS going down the crapper, as the title says.
It's going down FAST. That's my opinion.

posted on Aug, 13 2004 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by ThunderCloud

Originally posted by tututkamen
On the other hand there is the light at the end of the tunnel...

"I can see the light at the end of the tunnel; I just hope that it's not a gorilla with a flashlight." - Lou Holtz

www.democraticunderground.com...

It's a gorilla with a flashlight. This site boasts 30,000+ registered.
Look at what they are saying needs to be done for their side to
win the election. This is insane. The generations coming into age
now think they can win by illegal and anarchist ways, and that the
end justifies the means.

Truth is something that can't be found, or at best is laughed at
as antiquated.

Our countries culture IS going down the crapper, as the title says.
It's going down FAST. That's my opinion.

okay, we are not alone, look at France, theit president was suppos to go for trial for some crime he commited, thos countires have abortion, etc......

Even though its hard to believe the US is the most conservative in religious nation.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   

okay, we are not alone, look at France, theit president was suppos to go for trial for some crime he commited, thos countires have abortion, etc......

Its not the leaders of our nation commiting crimes that is the problem ( tho that such a good example their setting for their citizens ) or even somthing like abortion( im pro choice myself ). Its the people that we praise on the media. The people who are entertaining the youth of America. The fact that people would rather watch soap operas or Mtv than read a book. You turn on the telivision and there is nothing but mindless garbage. Even the news shows dont show anything uplifting most of the time. Its because violence and fear grab our attention and they know it. It just dont seem like there is any more good in the world.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Some of this stuff was already covered by people, but oh well.

I'll start of by saying that we are to an extent a plastic, consumer driven society interested in the bottom line. Other then perhaps some indeginous tribes, name one society or nation that wasn't or currently not, driven by money. We just happen to have a lot more of it then the rest. "Americanization" wouldn't be happening if no one wanted our stuff. I'm sure the people on this thread that aren't Americans own plenty of things, or eat food, or watch movies, or read books, or listen to music that are American in origin and think nothing of it. "But dammit they're greedy and I"m not gonna take it." It gets old.

I don't mean this to sound arrogant or anything, but can anyone really say that America has no culture and really know what culture is? We may not have a Taj Mahal or Buckingham Palace; but if you stand on the Washington Mall and look one direction and see the Capitol, look the other and see the Washington Monument, it's pretty awe inspiring. Not to mention you're surrounded by the Smithsonian buildings. Take a walk through those and tell me we have no culture. Every city in America has museums, libraries, symphonies, and theatres. We have colleges and universities that are world class, and in fact, are educating a lot of the worlds brightest, often times on our own tax dollar. Jazz music, the father of a lot of our modern music came out of America. The cinema arts have been greatly influenced by Americans. And I'm not talking about garbage like "Dude, Where's My Car" and the like. Broadway is the epicenter of the theatre world. I could go on and on...

If you have no way of seeing our culture beyond what's in your various countries news outlets and the TV shows and movies you might be seeing, you have no real way of knowing anything of our culture. Foreign media outlets spin what life in America is like just as much as our media spins things. That goes for a lot of Americans too, there's so much out there to see and do. Most museums are free or nearly so.

You can't lump nearly 300 million people into a group and say they have no culture.

posted on Aug, 15 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   

I don't mean this to sound arrogant or anything, but can anyone really say that America has no culture and really know what culture is? We may not have a Taj Mahal or Buckingham Palace; but if you stand on the Washington Mall and look one direction and see the Capitol, look the other and see the Washington Monument, it's pretty awe inspiring. Not to mention you're surrounded by the Smithsonian buildings. Take a walk through those and tell me we have no culture. Every city in America has museums, libraries, symphonies, and theatres. We have colleges and universities that are world class, and in fact, are educating a lot of the worlds brightest, often times on our own tax dollar. Jazz music, the father of a lot of our modern music came out of America. The cinema arts have been greatly influenced by Americans. And I'm not talking about garbage like "Dude, Where's My Car" and the like. Broadway is the epicenter of the theatre world. I could go on and on...

Well put my friend.

posted on Aug, 16 2004 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Believe it or not, Arnold, to my surprise, is actually doing a pretty damn good job as governor, probably one of the best in the history of California if he keeps going like he is. Seriously, read up on him, he's doing very well and I really wouldn't mind voting him for president. I think he would do a lot better than either Kerry or Bush LMAO.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join