It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I was born in America but English was not my first Language... English was forced upon me

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Dembow

Unfortunately for you it's inevitable. Only about 10% of Puerto Ricans want independence so by default statehood wins since the UN Decolonization Committee has mandated that we integrate the 5 US territories directly into the United States as states of the union; this obviously rules out the status quo part colony, part state "Commonwealth"/"Associated Free State" option.

The 5 US territories and 14 British overseas territories are the last remaining colonies on Earth and UN's goal to to have all of them directly integrated into the US and UK proper by 2015. The British Parliament recently announced that British overseas territories will be electing members to the House of Commons for the first time in history starting in 2016.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Thankyou. This was far more than a story to this man. He went from fighting mad to crying in an instant and absolutely nothing I said pryor to that made a dent I am only familiar with the White Mountain Apache and The San Carlos Apache. Together they have over 2 million acres of the most beautiful land in az ranging from11000 ft to desert.Apparently they fought so badly when they put them on the same reservation that they had to be separated .I think the Apaches received one of the most beautiful reservations in the states second in size to the Navajos but far more beautiful. A nd just to set the record straight when it came to diseases the whites or invaders gave smallpox to the I ndians and the Indians gave them syphilis.How many Apache Tribes are There?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Great post...while I do not believe in the punishment portion, and I am sorry that happened to you, I think that ultimately this forcing on English onto you, was a good thing for you - maybe not then...but in the overall scope.

I would love to speak and understand another language. I forgot who said it, but I heard that a person that speaks two languages is worth two people...so you are ahead of the game!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Of course things are different when you have a common enemy...
Take a look at what happened in the Long Walk
Navajos and Apache forced off their tribal lands and made to march to a settlement camp... Oh you bet there was trouble ... Apache and Navajo were not known to be the best of friends....Still thanks to oppression they learned to put aside their differences, worked together and yes once they had enough of the white mans hospitality... simply walked back to where they came from... permission to return was given only after everyone had split BTW

I make an effort to understand, and I see there are no easy answers. First Nations were screwed differently in Canada...but screwed nonetheless. I know that the clock can't be turned back, but it seems to me that the keys to success lie in education, health care and leadership. Governments need not spend more...but spend smarter.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I agree. I enjoyed hearing your personal story, because it echoes the text book definitions of poorly managed schooling for Amerindian peoples in every country in the western hemisphere.

Canadian Boarding schools were the worst when it came to punishment for speakers of languages other than French or English. You discussed how you were given corporal punishment - wraps on the knuckles - which is exactly what happened, and worse, to many native youth throughout the system.

It is unfortunate that the one dimensional notions of education in the 19th century did not do more to incorporate and respect native languages.

**** I don't throw the "MA" thing around to toot my own horn. You don't need a college education to respect people's heritage when it comes to culture and language. I use it to combat the misinformed who post on here as though they know everything there is to know about X subject. I can run with their opinions on other topics, but when it comes to bilingual education, I know what's what. I hope I didn't come off as elitist. Some people know how to fix a car, weave a basket or solve complex physics equations. Those things are not my area and I would respect their knowledge on it. But I know what I know and someone has to put in some facts to confront the stereotypes and opinions.

In closing, I suggest the following read: geibtechforlearning.org/lvu/resources/WindwolfPlea.pdf

It's a PDF. It's a real letter by a Native American father to his son's teacher, explaining why his son may be perceived as doing poorly when compared to his White American fellow students. It succinctly explains how and why language and culture affect perception and ability.

It also exemplifies the OP when he says that he understood his teacher's question - which is common in non-native speakers of a language - but was unable to answer in the language.

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Great post, Gunny. It's easy for me to take for granted things like that, since I didn't have to go through them my self (being born in time to miss the boarding schools and majority of "for your own good" legislation meant to "civilize" the natives).

posted on Jul, 17 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I just think that its halarious that alot of people in here find Natives all mystical and sh!te. Like they are some type of special race of humans. i live in New Mexico and they come a dime a dozen.
edit on 17-7-2011 by Frankenchrist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

Hey now... I'll have you know I was born there in New Mexico and I consider myself mystical...
that is to say, come Superbowl time its a real mystery how fast I can down a bag of pork-rinds and cold beers

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Reply to post by DaddyBare

I was born in an area where hundreds of years ago my ancestors were forced to capitulate to the invaders. Maybe even thousands of years ago. The only difference is my heritage was able to hold on and pass down their traditions without crying about how they were wrong. My children are successful without abandoning their heritage, like the majority of decent people.

Cry and whine about the past, hold on to the ignorant delusions of others and fully submit to the future of separatism. Or embrace the concept of oneness without giving up your ancestral (but ignorantly barbaric) heritage. If done right...the future of a single population will celebrate and represent the humane and best aspects of each civilization instead of the differences that make ua want to kill each other.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by HisMajesty

Pigeon English is probably the best move for you

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by councilglasses
reply to post by HisMajesty

Pigeon English is probably the best move for you

Perhaps you mean 'pidgin'?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
English is my third language and I don't mind. I find it incredibly convenient when I travel. I might feel differently about that if Americans had invaded my country and turned it into their own, forcing us to speak their language. But,... there comes a time when we have to face the facts and just let go. Speak your language and keep it alive at home and with friends. Blend into society but keep your unique culture in your home, heart and mind. What the English, Spanish, French and Dutch did to the natives of this continent is brutality at it's worst... but..... I bet you that the majority of their descendants abhor their actions and wish it had never happened. Humans have been invading each others territories for thousands upon thousands of years. Who knows what your tribe has done to other tribes in the area. Native tribes fought with each other over land as well. One day perhaps America will no longer exist and everyone will be forced to speak Swedish. To this day I wonder what this continent would look like if the English, Spanish or French had never colonized it. Hmm...

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
lights a candle

Plays violin

<< 10  11  12   >>

join