It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Flat" Earth of the Bible? (MAP)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
One that comes to mind is where the devil tries to tempt Jesus christ by taking him to a very high place where he can see the whole world, and saying that "all this could be yours". Unless one takes this passage in a metaphorical sense, it would definitely imply some sort of flatness.

Here is the text:

8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory. 9 And he said to him, “All these I will give you, if you will fall down and worship me.” 10 Then Jesus said to him, “Be gone, Satan! For it is written, “‘You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.’” 11 Then the devil left him, and behold, angels came and were ministering to him.

Matthew 4 (ESV)

At the time of the writing, the "kingdoms" could have been limited to the area around modern-day Israel. I'm not saying people did not live all over the earth at that point, but the kingdoms may have been visible from high up. However, it is most likely metaphorical.

Something comes to mind every time I read this passage: The Lion King. The kingdom was wherever the light shined. A little off topic. Oh well.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
And there is some really wonderful reading in Job 38-40.

1 Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind and said: 2 “Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge? 3 Dress for action like a man; I will question you, and you make it known to me. 4 “Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell me, if you have understanding. 5 Who determined its measurements—surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it? 6 On what were its bases sunk, or who laid its cornerstone, 7 when the morning stars sang together and all wthe sons of God shouted for joy? 8 “Or who shut in the sea with doors when it burst out from the womb, 9 when I made clouds its garment and thick darkness its swaddling band, 10 and prescribed limits for it and set bars and doors, 11 and said, ‘Thus far shall you come, and no farther, and here shall your proud waves be stayed’?

I think this may provide some insight into the earth, but doesn't specifically talk about whether it was flat or round. I'm not exactly sure what "stretched the line upon it" means, but it is interesting.

edit on 6/21/2011 by Fury1984 because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join