It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Flat" Earth of the Bible? (MAP)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Reading my local newspapers website today I found an article about a man donating a very unique map to the Library of Congress. Made in 1893 by Professor Orlando Ferguson, this map portrays the Earth as not flat, but square and stationary.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dade918c7dcc.jpg[/atsimg]

Link to Full-res map

It will take much more than this map to convince me that we are not all seated on a globe hurtling around a much larger, fiery, globe. But this is an interesting map to look at it, and a unique perspective, which I always like to see. Hope you find it interesting as I did!

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Maybe we're all inside a turtle's shell.

Edit: Praise the cosmic world-turtle.
edit on 18-6-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

I would like to see a list of the biblical passages he is talking about. Considering I have read the bible cover to cover several times. And I know of no passages which "condemn" the earth as being a globe. If anything, it would be quite the opposite.

Historically, a flat earth was not common teaching in Judaism or christianity. Not even in the middle ages. Though references have been made, they are more obscure meanderings and theories than anything widely accepted.

S&F OP. Thanks for posting this.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

I would like to see those passages as well. I have a found a few:

1 Chronicles 16:30: “He has fixed the earth firm, immovable.”

Psalm 93:1: “Thou hast fixed the earth immovable and firm ...”

Psalm 96:10: “He has fixed the earth firm, immovable ...”

Psalm 104:5: “Thou didst fix the earth on its foundation so that it never can be shaken.”

Isaiah 45:18: “...who made the earth and fashioned it, and himself fixed it fast...”

But nowhere near the 400 he claims...I'm sure with a whole lot of digging, and various versions, many many more could be found.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

Agreed. And even these few say nothing of its shape, but rather speak of fixing it in place. As in fixing its orbit in our system possibly. Nothing that says flat.

In fact, I'm thinking there are verses that insinuate the earths roundness. Now if I can just think of where they are. I'll see if I can find them.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   

The first one that came to my mind was Job 26:7-- "God stretches the northern sky over empty space and hangs the earth on nothing."

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Here is another: Isaiah 40:22

22 He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth,
and its people are like grasshoppers.
He stretches out the heavens like a canopy,
and spreads them out like a tent to live in.

With this it depends whether one interprets circle as globe or sphere.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by kalunom

I'm pretty sure ancient Hebrew had no specific word for "sphere", so it's certainly in the semantic range. But I'll check the LXX and see what word they used, BRB...

Greek word is γῦρον, circle. There is an interesting article here.
edit on 18-6-2011 by SaberTruth because: added link, info

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Ecclesiastes 1:6 says "The wind goes toward the south and turns around to the north; the wind whirls about continually, and comes again on its circuit."

I thought it was relevant?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

The world is consistently described as a flat circle in the Bible...a place having boundaries. It's never explicitly stated...but it's also never explicitly stated that the sky is blue. All language referring to the shape of the Earth is that of a disc, not a sphere or rounded object of any sort. All the language used to describe the Earth's creation is that of it being spread out, something which is only possible with a flat object.

I can cite specific passages if you'd like, but right now I'm only posting in little interludes when I have a chance during my hectic week.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SaberTruth

Well...the Earth is thought to have foundations in Judaism, not to be hung...that passage sort of makes sense in the case of a flat, circular Earth with a domed, solid sky that has little lights in it and two big lights that cycle in and out passing through it.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by SaberTruth

Hebrew did have a word for 'ball' which evolved into the modern Hebrew word relating to anything spherical...so it's not hard to speculate the the Hebrews were able to describe a spherical object with a different word.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by natters

...I can make something go along a 2D circuit, it's called a race track. Doesn't really speak to whether the Earth is spherical or circular.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

There are approximately 900 verses in the KJV bible that refer to the earth. Of those, the bible is surpisingly non-committal as to its shape. Although there are hints such as those already mentioned.

There are approximately 250 verses that refer to the world. Of those, I find the same lack of reference to shape.

In all fairness though, if one wanted to ignore the fanciful analogies and poetic prose to structural foundations used in several of those verses, you could make a very circumstantial case for a stationary and flat earth in scripture. But this would really be pushing it, since it is obvious that poetic license is being used in these.

Take it for what you will. But having looked through all 1150 verses this morning, I don't see a case for a biblical flat earth. By the same token, there isn't a strong case for a round one either. But everything I have researched points to a consensus that christianity and judaism has never taught a flat earth.

ETA: In fact, they have conspicuously (IMO) taught neither. Which is curious all by itself. To which, I must say, I'm glad you brought this up madness. Now I have something else to ponder.

But I'm always open to new evidence.

edit on 6/18/2011 by Klassified because: redaction

edit on 6/18/2011 by Klassified because: spelling

edit on 6/18/2011 by Klassified because: ETA

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
One that comes to mind is where the devil tries to tempt Jesus christ by taking him to a very high place where he can see the whole world, and saying that "all this could be yours". Unless one takes this passage in a metaphorical sense, it would definitely imply some sort of flatness.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Im by no means a scholar of the bible but doesnt it say in revelations that four angels will come to each corner of the earth? that would lead me to believe that this theory could be true?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

It is believed by most, AFAIK, to refer to the four compass points, not corners as we define them today. If the expression isn't found in a context clearly about directions it typically is a figure of speech for "the whole world" or "the whole country".

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
The bible clearly reflects what the goons of old who wrote it thought about the earth long ago.

If it was "inspired" by "god", then these verses that CLEARLY portray the world as flat would NOT be in there.

Silly deluded folks will still believe it anyways regardless of that nonsense as well as the nonsense of talking donkeys and talking snakes and the other fairy-tale nonsense.

Silly adults.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
One that comes to mind is where the devil tries to tempt Jesus christ by taking him to a very high place where he can see the whole world, and saying that "all this could be yours". Unless one takes this passage in a metaphorical sense, it would definitely imply some sort of flatness.

Well of course it's metaphorical! How could it be literal?

(All it needs is a bit of common sense, to work out which is which.. Sanctified common sense, that is.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi

This is one of those passages that is clearly not literal. How could it be?
It's easy enough to tell what's literal and what's not, all it takes is sanctified common sense...
Vicky
So that's how double posts happen (my connection crashed.)

edit on 19/6/11 by Vicky32 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join