It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sega follows Sony as latest hack victim, as LulzSec plead innocence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Sega follows Sony as latest hack victim, as LulzSec plead innocence

www.metro.co.uk

The gaming company has sent a warning email to its customers advising that the Sega Pass service has been compromised and that user data - including passwords, though not in plain text format - could have been stolen by hackers.

It is not yet known who carried out the attack though LulzSec, who hacked the Sony Playstation network recently, have ruled themselves out.

A message on the group’s Twitter account said: ‘@Sega - contact us. We want to help you destroy the hackers that attacked you.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
More controversy about LulzSec, and another gaming console goes offline.

I received the warning email from Sega yesterday, they claim the password database was encrypted when it was stolen yet the news source claims otherwise.

I've added the email below.

Dear TheSam,

As you may be aware, the SEGA Pass system has been offline since yesterday, Thursday 16 June.

Over the last 24 hours we have identified that unauthorised entry was gained to our SEGA Pass database.

We immediately took the appropriate action to protect our consumers’ data and isolate the location of the breach. We have launched an investigation into the extent of the breach of our public systems.

We have identified that a subset of SEGA Pass members emails addresses, dates of birth and encrypted passwords were obtained. To stress, none of the passwords obtained were stored in plain text.

Please note that no personal payment information was stored by SEGA as we use external payment providers, meaning your payment details were not at risk from this intrusion.

If you use the same login information for other websites and/or services as you do for SEGA Pass, you should change that information immediately.

We have also reset your password and all access to SEGA Pass has been temporarily suspended.

Additionally we recommend you please take extra caution if you should receive suspicious emails that ask for personal or sensitive information.

Therefore please do not attempt to login to SEGA Pass at present, we will communicate when the service becomes available.

We sincerely apologise for this incident and regret any inconvenience caused.

We are contacting all our members with these recommendations.

If you have any further questions please contact SEGA customer support on [email protected]

www.metro.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I've been breached, I received an email from Sega today to inform me

Changed all passwords just to beef up security

edit on 18-6-2011 by Pockets because: To add Con-tent!

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
At least unlike Sony they had all the information encrypted. Im sure someone out there has already de-coded it though. I wonder if someone is messing with all these game companys cause they will have free games for everyone like sony did the first time.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Dang I sure hope Blizzard has better defenses, it seems like these gaming companies are getting dropped like dominos. Gamers don't hurt nobody go back to hacking the CIA.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Some day we can vote. Instead of theorize. Please read this:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Ok, I now realize that your every day hackers are not behind this.
Because everyday hackers love video games.

This is done by hackers either forced to do it, or getting paid large sums of money.

If I were a hacker and I played sega, sony games, or video games in general, I would not be biting the hand that feeds my addiction.

These attacks are from something that does not like our addictions to my gaming way of life.

Who would want to ruin my gaming/ entertainment way of life?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
oooooooooooooohhhww.. SEGA has been hacked? wew.. and also SONY last time? PlayStation Games are part of SONY right? wew

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
hackers are really intelligent
i wanna be like them

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaycen420
At least unlike Sony they had all the information encrypted. Im sure someone out there has already de-coded it though. I wonder if someone is messing with all these game companys cause they will have free games for everyone like sony did the first time.

Why damage on of the best game publishers in Sega(lived genesis and dreamcast) and one of the most influential video game console venders in Sony? Why? They must hate gaming. Attack an innocent video game company with 0 political ties?

What does Sega or Sony have to do with the bailouts or the subprime mess? None. nothing. This is stupid.

I am a game designer and I am disgusted. I want to sell my game application on PSN or Xboxlive but with these asstards ruining it for the small guys I have to change the way I sell my game software in the future.(better security)

They are hurting the video games industry.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
How do you know.. All of a sudden they want to help? Or are they upset they didn't beat a copycat to the punch? Someone is distributing this php injection underground, or explaining how to write one.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
These people need to be put in jail..
They are criminals.
edit on 19-6-2011 by TheLogicalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
i think sadly attacking gaming companies is just a starter too whats going to become something huge over the next few years.
first it's gaming companies,whats next ? the pentagon ? area 51 ?. as much as i would love to have some huge alien tech be revealed or some earth shattering news about 9/11 i don't think hacking into things is the answer,once caught these people should be put away for life,or given a job somewhere because they are obviously very very smart.

This is just the beginning of something evil i fear

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Since Sony and Sega are now branch partnerships.. I really hope Micro$h1T gets hacked next. If they don't... you can bet your buns on who is doing these attacks. Windows operating systems account for approximately 80% of all computer systems in the world and I can guarantee that both of thee companies are using Microsoft operating systems for personal computing and for their server systems. (SOURCE at bottom). And you can bet the rest of the buns you saved from the first bet, that Microsoft employees know how to hack their systems easier, faster, and quieter than any other hacker in the entire world. Maybe this is a gimmick from MS to say "Oh look... We haven't ever been hacked.. BUY OUR PRODUCTS". But who knows
. I just hope we find out out Microsoft did it, WE NEED MORE UNIX SYSTEMS. Also, if it is any single, non-affiliated to MS or US gov't hacking group, I hope we don't find out who it is. These people are doing the right thing in showing the world that WE NEED better security.

Source From Wikipedia

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by chunghwa
How do you know.. All of a sudden they want to help? Or are they upset they didn't beat a copycat to the punch? Someone is distributing this php injection underground, or explaining how to write one.

How do you tell if a person is guilty given the nature of the crimes taken place? How do you know beyond a reasonable doubt that said persons are the ones doing/condoning/replicating these attacks?

How do can you prove this?

They are obviously attacking certain set of targets. But why? Whats the significance?

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by lokdog
Dang I sure hope Blizzard has better defenses, it seems like these gaming companies are getting dropped like dominos. Gamers don't hurt nobody go back to hacking the CIA.

Don't worry, I'm sure these hackers are FAR to addicted to WOW to hack blizzard. Unless they hack them to steal other people's accounts, which already happens.

Anyway,

Lulzsec doesn't seem to really care about their reputation, as they have already made it obvious that they aren't doing anything for righteous or political reasons, so if they said they didn't attack Sega, then I see no reason no to believe them.

Perhaps it was someone with ties to Anon that attacked Sega, and seeing as the two are in a tizzy at the moment Lulzsec doesn't want to be associate with it.

This is all really becoming too much of an internet soap opera.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
now I am 100% sure this is the goverment and RIAA. wouldn't be surprised if music and television services get it next. it's all BS. people are gonna turn on the good hackers (the warez groups), and entrust the government to take care of this. congress will draft horrendous net bills that are gonna be influenced by mass media publishing.

new topics

top topics

join