It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Hole Eats Star, Creates Brightest Gamma-Ray Flash Ever Seen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Black Hole Eats Star, Creates Brightest Gamma-Ray Flash Ever Seen

www.inquisitr.com

Astronomers surmise that the black hole wasn’t doing much until the sun-like star wandered by, causing a tidal disruption so violent it produced energy at never-before-seen gamma-ray levels.

According to Bloom, this event is so rare that it probably only happens “once in 100 million years in any given galaxy”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Reading news like this make ever so apparent how insignificant we all are and how we waste our time trying to find solutions to the economic disaster everyone has been hearing or waging wars in the undisclosed title of energy when one simple act of the cosmos can wipe us out as a species and we can do absolutely nothing about it.

www.inquisitr.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 18-6-2011 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Gamma ray bursts normally are milliseconds this one has been going for months....so yeah its a PRETTY huge event.
Brilliant thx for the link.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
Gamma ray bursts normally are milliseconds this one has been going for months....so yeah its a PRETTY huge event.
Brilliant thx for the link.

Although i am not that fluent with planet orientated knowledge but the mere fact as you and the article pointed out that they last only milliseconds and this has been going on for months blew my mind, not to mention that this event as mentioned happens once in every one-hundred million years, it is as if every day we discover what the cosmos should not be doing but is doing right before our eyes.

Viewing the video and imagining the size of the sun undergoing this process is mind blowing. Oh how ridiculously small we humans are.

If anyone want to view and compare planet size as the picture i embedded in here then here is the link.
www.sciencenetlinks.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
If you dont assume its a black hole as your starting point, it looks awfully like the discharge resulting from a high-energy z-pinch. Just like in the labs, but on a bigger scale.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by zvezdar
If you dont assume its a black hole as your starting point, it looks awfully like the discharge resulting from a high-energy z-pinch. Just like in the labs, but on a bigger scale.

Hi, i am no planet genius, honestly i would rather it be explained to me than act as if i know what i am talking about. The mere fact that the article stated the strength of it all made me sit back and think how lucky we really are. Any feedback or knowledge regarding planets has always fascinated me as far as i can remember, it is simply something i feel public should be exposed to on a daily basis rather than dancing shows or talent shows that obviously waste time and energy.

By the way a video i enjoyed looking at when it was released.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Hope im not swaying to much of topic, but given that only two members have replied i feel its safe for me to embed the following video. I honestly enjoyed this video and recommend it to anyone who enjoy's such topics.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
There has always been the cosmos to keep me humble. Living like giants just to get knocked down by space. Whatever happened to our young generations wanting to learn and explore our universe.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by bputman
There has always been the cosmos to keep me humble. Living like giants just to get knocked down by space. Whatever happened to our young generations wanting to learn and explore our universe.

I assume they are to busy twittering or playing some facebook game or uploading music to myspace, but yes, it is sad that what once was on the lips and minds of every living person on earth has now become like i a car. Nice and shiny in the beginning but later taken to the recycled lot. But as always, the cosmos and not nature always has a surprise for the human race and it does not necessarily mean that we will come out of it alive let alone remain as a species.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
ANOM NOM NOM NOM!

This is really cool! The universe is a beautiful place and awe inspiring.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
While I wouldn't ever attach a number to the rarity of this event like they did, I think it's humbling. All the universe could be a flat surface on the surface of a black hole or something? Who knows. But reality is so big and incomprehensible that I think anything is possible. Astronomy is always amazing to me.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Black Hole is created by Enigma. A power of Darkness who eats and swallow everything to the darkness. >.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
too bad we are still here

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
bad that we're still on earth?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
seems the thread was attacked but i also see that its been dealt with.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

Yea we should just all go home and kill ourselves because everything we do and ever will do is pointless!.......

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I love science, but am by no means very knowledgable on the subject. However I still find things like this fascinating even if these events are usually quite hard to understand and even comprehend just due to the immense scale.

This was in the paper today.....about a 30 word tiny little article. One of the main stories was that there was a small fight at the Ascot Horse races on the weekend, not a huge brawl/semi riot like last year just 5 guys who were friends drunkenly fighting.

It really makes me mad that something so spectacular is going on in our universe, something that is so rare it maybe happends just once every 100million years, but the media feel that people would rather read this rubbish about a fight that in itself as fights go was boring and insignificant (no arrests even made) Still it makes the main pages and this wasnt even a tabloid newspaper! The sad thing is that this amazing story probably wouldnt sell as many papers as the stupid 'fight at Ascot races' story.

O well more interesting REAL news for us I suppose, the suckers can have their boring drivel!
edit on 02/02/1987 by clintdelicious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Amazing and yet somehow I feel very sad ...

I always do when I look at things like this, I always do when I look up at the night sky. What a shame that I'll never be able to be up there ...

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

Well the universe better be quick in dealing with us because we will spread far and wide within the next 300 years.

Once we get a colony in Mars, it's game over for the universe. Nothing will stop us. And the universe better wish we don't find out the secrets of space travel.
Then it is really f*****...

And we are not insignificant. We are a species that is able to achieve anything it proposes. That is not to be underestimated. Believe me. If we want to end or create a black hole. We WILL do it.

new topics

top topics

join