It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOJ, the AG and the Pentagon told Obama : Libyan war must end, Obama overruled them

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
LIBYA BOMBSHELL: Obama Overruled Two Top Lawyers, Who Told Him War Must Be Terminated

The White House response: We don't need Congressional approval because this is not technically a hostile action (because we don't have ground troops in Libya).

Tonight the NYT has a major bombshell: Two top lawyers -- Jeh C. Johnson, the Pentagon general counsel, and Caroline D. Krass, acting head of the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel -- told The White House otherwise.

Even Attorney General Eric Holder sided with Krass.

But Rather than heed their advice, he instead went with two lawyers with views more favorable to him: Bob Bauer (who is internal at The White House), and State Department advisor Harold Koh.

IMPEACH HIM ALREADY. But of course that won't happen since the congress and the senate are sellouts... and they really love war when they say otherwise.
edit on 18-6-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I mean if Obama can order the assassination of innocent Americans, then he is obviously above the law. Can someone tell me what Obama can't do.

I'm hoping at least now they realize that US is not a Democracy, that all this fancy technical codes they have placed is for show, it is nothing but a hoax, an illusion. One part of constitution protects your freedom of speech, then we see reports of people being killed for their speech, or wanted dead for their speech. Another part of the constitution is suppose to protect your privacy, then we see spying on Americans in mass scale outside the law.

I mean Americans are aware of this, but why do they still want to believe the illusion?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
We need to get out of Libya.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by confreak

Sure, I can tell you what President Obama can't do. Unerstand the concept of a representative republic! Being a constitutional lawyer, he also can't understand the concept of what the constitution is for. Apparently, he's under the delusion that the constitution is some kind of "living" document, that should evolve. It isn't. It's not supposed to. It only has one purpose, to define the extent of the power of the government of the federal government of the United States of America. All by itself, the constitution can't even keep your french fries dry! It has nothing to do with protection. It's probably the least understood document in the history of the United States of America, and the one that is the most abused !!! But regardless of what all the demon lawyers on the planet might say, he DOESN'T have the authority to do what he wants to in Libya, and the real crime is there is a little thing called the legislative branch of the federal government that has fallen down on the job, again! Also, it's a complete waste of taxpayer dollars on a country the US really has no interest in, period. But they do have oil!

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
That reminds me... Where is congress on PAKISTAN and YEMEN bombings? Nothing of that was approved.

Yet again, the White House takes more executive power and congress let it happen.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
From day ONE I knew this guy was wrong for this country.
His Presidency came with a Surgeon Generals Warning that nobody
wanted to read.
Well, I read it.
And I am glad I did. Im glad I didnt trust a word he said. Im glad I went with logic and not ignorance.

Nothing worse than someone who cant leave an Abusive Relationship. Just keep taking it and taking it.
"no, he only hit me cause I asked for it, hes not normally like this".

sorry to tell you...Hes done you so dirty, that you dont even have enough pride to walk away from him.

sad.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

The White House response: We don't need Congressional approval because this is not technically a hostile action (because we don't have ground troops in Libya).

It's not hostilities because we're not shooting at them. We're just dropping bombs on them. They're gonna LOVE us when this is over! You'll see!

Obama is disgusting. I hope his anti-freedom agents are on ATS reading this:

Up yours, you subhuman piece of [snip].

/TOA

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

How sensationalistic of you to title it this way and cherry pick your quotes to support it. This was not the Department of Justice, or the Pentagon speaking as whole bodies, they are Jeh C. Johnson, the Pentagon general counsel, and Caroline D. Krass, the acting head of the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel.

Also...

Presidents have the legal authority to override the legal conclusions of the Office of Legal Counsel and to act in a manner that is contrary to its advice, but it is extraordinarily rare for that to happen. Under normal circumstances, the office’s interpretation of the law is legally binding on the executive branch.

But Mr. Obama decided instead to adopt the legal analysis of several other senior members of his legal team — including the White House counsel, Robert Bauer, and the State Department legal adviser, Harold H. Koh — who argued that the United States military’s activities fell short of “hostilities.” Under that view, Mr. Obama needed no permission from Congress to continue the mission unchanged.

A senior administration official, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to talk about the internal deliberations, said the process was “legitimate” because “everyone knew at the end of the day this was a decision the president had to make” and the competing views were given a full airing before Mr. Obama.

The administration has also emphasized that there are no troops on the ground, that Libyan forces are unable to fire at them meaningfully and that the military mission is constrained from escalating by a United Nations Security Council resolution.

Matthew Miller, a Justice Department spokesman, said, “Our views were heard, as were other views, and the president then made the decision as was appropriate for him to do.”

New York Times
This NYT article was the source within your linked source.

You guys can keep spinning the legalities, the WPA, the Congress etc...until you are blue in the face, probably more an Alex Jones shade of red to be honest, but it will never be true. Keep yourselves distracted with non-sense though, you're serving your purpose well.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
The way i see this is:
1) Congress has only one choice and impeach this president
2) Congress goes home as they have absolutely no power any longer

Time to nut up or shut up Congress

Nothing further to say as this purse and sword is more closely related to an open ended credit card and a butter knife

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Kali, I can curb-stomp a 6 year old that digs holes in my yard. Should I, just because I can?

/TOA

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Of course not, nor is it within your legal right to do so. Can you not see the sensationalism here? Can you not see that President has done nothing illegal or unconstitutional? You have, as anyone else has every right to disagree with Obama's actions. Disagreement however does not make anything he is doing illegal. Can you not see that by making these types of statements credibility is lost, voice gets drowned out laughter and facts?

Maybe not on this forum, where the minority becomes the majority in the hating of Obama, but where it really counts. Much as Kucinich, Paul and cronies are about to be laughed out of court, and Boehner is about to be knocked on his ass, had they gone about things in the legal way that they are empowered to they may get somewhere, but instead by posturing this way they are dooming themselves.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74

Of course not, nor is it within your legal right to do so. Can you not see the sensationalism here? Can you not see that President has done nothing illegal or unconstitutional? You have, as anyone else has every right to disagree with Obama's actions. Disagreement however does not make anything he is doing illegal. Can you not see that by making these types of statements credibility is lost, voice gets drowned out laughter and facts?

So, it's right to drop bombs on human beings because it's legal? That is your supporting argument for what he is doing? I know you don't believe that. If you think he's the greatest President we've ever had, that's fine. That is okee dokee. But you can truly support his bombing of Libya because it's legal? Because the War Powers Act told him it's OK?

For anyone else, even Ron Paul, it could be, likely is even, sensationalism. But legal != right in this case. Whether you believe they are bringing a suit against him because of a right-wing agenda, or because of law, or humanitarian reasons, the end result is the same as far as this situation goes: he has to stop.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

Originally posted by Kali74

So, it's right to drop bombs on human beings because it's legal? That is your supporting argument for what he is doing? I know you don't believe that. If you think he's the greatest President we've ever had, that's fine. That is okee dokee. But you can truly support his bombing of Libya because it's legal? Because the War Powers Act told him it's OK?

For anyone else, even Ron Paul, it could be, likely is even, sensationalism. But legal != right in this case. Whether you believe they are bringing a suit against him because of a right-wing agenda, or because of law, or humanitarian reasons, the end result is the same as far as this situation goes: he has to stop.

/TOA

Right and legal are two very different things and this is my whole point. You can get a lot further by saying this isn't right than you can by falsely saying it is illegal. You know my stance on the rest. Do I support unjustified war? No and I do not believe this to be the case here.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Whew. I thought you had taken complete leave.

The whole point here, at least as I read it, is that many people keep telling him that he needs to pull out of Libya. Not just because they feel it's illegal, but because it's wrong.

Hell, let's say it's legal. The problem here is that he has authorized an attack on a country that has not attacked us. And he gets his back up about it every time someone says we need to leave them alone. He can't seem to admit that while he feels he had authorization to do it, he should never have done it in the first place.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Obama must have ordered the assassination of a foreign head of a foreign country, Kadafi.

The problem arose when DOD failed and the bunker buster only killed Kadafi's grankids and sons, Kadafi made it out alive.

This leaves Obama liable for something everyone else is running away from.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
reply to post by Kali74

Whew. I thought you had taken complete leave.

The whole point here, at least as I read it, is that many people keep telling him that he needs to pull out of Libya. Not just because they feel it's illegal, but because it's wrong.

Hell, let's say it's legal. The problem here is that he has authorized an attack on a country that has not attacked us. And he gets his back up about it every time someone says we need to leave them alone. He can't seem to admit that while he feels he had authorization to do it, he should never have done it in the first place.

/TOA

My take on it is, "people" who have something to gain by taking a stance against the President keep telling him he needs to pull out of Libya.

Why does it keep seemingly to be forgotten that this is a NATO mission, that we were asked for help by the UN based on Ghaddafi's actions of slaughtering Libyans because they want him to step down? This was not some random attack on a leader or a nation just because Obama felt like it.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
It can't be the same Nobel Peace Prizing winner named Obama, could it?
Btw, where have all the war protestors gone?
They all probably hibernate during any Liberal administration.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

www.paulmcguire.org... is some news.....

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by confreak

I mean if Obama can order the assassination of innocent Americans, then he is obviously above the law. Can someone tell me what Obama can't do.

I'm hoping at least now they realize that US is not a Democracy, that all this fancy technical codes they have placed is for show, it is nothing but a hoax, an illusion. One part of constitution protects your freedom of speech, then we see reports of people being killed for their speech, or wanted dead for their speech. Another part of the constitution is suppose to protect your privacy, then we see spying on Americans in mass scale outside the law.

I mean Americans are aware of this, but why do they still want to believe the illusion?

You are wrong on every single point you've made.

There is enough actually wrong in the world without over dramatizing everything.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Killing people with drones is not a hostile action?

War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.

edit on 18-6-2011 by EmVeeFF because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join