It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So you think you're advanced?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Technology is surpassing humanity.

We're creating more advanced systems of our own demise.

We are all about "hooray for me and snip you---> in the end."

Humans thrive when they work toward the greater good--->together.

Cavemen surviving their environments should be a testament to today's failures.

They worked toward the advancement of humanity--->survival as a species.

Today's technology forsakes our survivability.

"Make love not war"

multiply and prosper has been derailed onto a path of cull the useless eaters
edit on (6/18/1111 by loveguy because:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
nice topic, got me thinking

On the other hand,
when I was a kid I dreamed about going to the USA one day, I'd only seen America on television and I had never met an American before. My best friends father had been to the US and he was our hero for just being able to step on a plain and fly off... America was so far out of our reach (same for Africa, China, Australia)

Now, all it takes is one click of a mouse and I can have a converstion with everyone around the world, sharing pictures have video conferences, etc...

Remember, back when we where kids and we saw a phone on tv that had a little television on it... they could actually SEE the people they where talking to! wow! imagine that! That would never happen!
lol
I think when it comes to technology we are good on our way to become an advanced species and it already helps us out so much every day.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Technological innovation has outpaced logical and spiritual development while greed and fear rule collective consciousness.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

I'm kinda in 2 minds about this thread.

One part of me wants to point out things (as others have already done) space travel, internet, and the fact we now live nearly 3 times longer than the average guy 2000 years ago did. yeah I realise we're still eating flesh and plants, and living in stone wood shelters. But if it ain't broke, why fix it?

The other part of me agrees that most humans operate on a level not to much higher than any other animal, its just that we can do it in much more comfort.

I guess the real question is what, sbctinfantry, do you think is the call mark of an advanced society? Is it technological innovation, or something else? Apart from pointing out the fact that we just live a slightly longer, polished version of life 2000 years ago you haven't really given any indicators of what you think would make us more advanced.

Or is this simply an 'I'm angry at the world and all the sheep that live in it' rant.......

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1littlewolf

I guess the real question is what, sbctinfantry, do you think is the call mark of an advanced society? Is it technological innovation, or something else? Apart from pointing out the fact that we just live a slightly longer, polished version of life 2000 years ago you haven't really given any indicators of what you think would make us more advanced.

Simply put, Love.

More complicated would be to say that instead of formulating a whole society structured on profit and commercial gain, a society based on love of equal technological stature would be far superior in many ways.

The majority of the wealth of the world wouldn't be monetary, nor would it be pumped toward wars.

The majority of advancement would be to benefit humanity, not bank accounts and shareholders.

I am basically saying that we have some evolving to do before we can ever really ebmrace the stars. I don't see any real solutions during our lifetimes, and I believe that the gap between the present is going to be a long and hard one.

In the end, I hope love prevails and we become a race worth seeding the stars with. What is the point of doing it with our current ideals and standards for society?

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to sbctinfantry

Over simplification, while it sometimes has it's place, can make anything sound bad.
Especially where there are condescending undertones implied.
Over simplification of the human condition might be stated as such:
Humans are nothing more than sacks of meat surrounding a bunch of bones.
While it's true, that statement conveys the sarcastic feeling one might have towards humanity.
We are not simple creatures.
Evolution or Creationism, (pick your method) has made us more complex.
Now for the gist of this reply.
I've read a lot of complaining, but nothing offered as a solution.
I'm not talking about ideals, or notions, as have already been put forth.
What I do mean is, What are your ideas for a solution to our apparent humanity problem?
Do you have any idea what it would take to convert humanity to a spiritual and resource based economy?
How do we change, when for most of human history, it's all been about greed and corruption?
How do we sway those that would keep us as serfs, into treating us like equals?
How do we convince those that would destroy the world to keep their power to be more human?
You've hinted at a few things, but how much are you willing to get into something to make changes?

The point is, NO ONE has all the answers, and anyone that says they do, is arrogant and misinformed.

My suggestion would be to live your own life as best as you can and try to share that with the people around you.
Live up to your own standards and try to be a better person. Hopefully it will rub off on everyone you encounter.
Be proactive and don't just complain.
Complaining only makes one bitter, and frankly, no one wants to hear it.
We're all busy trying to find our own ways.
Offer solutions.
Try them out, and if they don't work change it up.

I don't have all the answers, never claimed to, but I give things my best and that's how I roll.

edit on 6/26/2011 by reticledc because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/26/2011 by reticledc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by reticledc
reply to sbctinfantry
I don't have all the answers, never claimed to, but I give things my best and that's how I roll.

Humans learn from others, experience, and epiphany. I was more or less conveying an epiphany to the general population of ATS. I believe that much is to be done to change our current path as a species. I wanted to point out that even the right people can become arrogant, or assume that they know all the facts.

In reality, my very foundations were shaken when I simply sat down at a restaraunt and figured out what I wanted to eat.

The menu was a wonderful metaphor for what is wrong with society. I am going to reiterate that I am conveying a metaphor for humanity, not a plan for sociological change. I personally don't care if the world changes, I changed the minute I decided to be a free thinker. I became free and the only person that can take away my love for humanity, and my sense of freedom is me. No amount of abuse, neglect, or punishment could change those views, I can see that now.

However, when you look at a menu, think about evertyhing that goes into putting that dish in front of you, what it's really made out of, and the intentions behind it.

I cook for enjoyment, a restaraunt cooks to make money.

I choose fresh ingredients to create my dishes for my family, a restaraunt does the most with the least and hopes the customers don't complain too much.

If you want to find any solution in my thought process, then I firmly believe that the solution is an individual choice. The majority of the species will live in whatever world they are told, under whatever conditions they are told, within a set of parameters they find acceptable.

The goal of our current society is to push those parameters as far back as possible while still maintaining the illusion of progress.

The illusion has become our reality.

It's time to wake up and smell the processed meat product staring you in the face. No matter how you season it, that egg loaf is still a loaf of egg.

There are more stars than grains of sand on all the beaches of our planet, and we are fighting over profit margins, religion, technology, and resources.

Love.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by sbctinfantry

Simply put, Love.

More complicated would be to say that instead of formulating a whole society structured on profit and commercial gain, a society based on love of equal technological stature would be far superior in many ways.

The majority of the wealth of the world wouldn't be monetary, nor would it be pumped toward wars.

The majority of advancement would be to benefit humanity, not bank accounts and shareholders.

I am basically saying that we have some evolving to do before we can ever really ebmrace the stars. I don't see any real solutions during our lifetimes, and I believe that the gap between the present is going to be a long and hard one.

In the end, I hope love prevails and we become a race worth seeding the stars with. What is the point of doing it with our current ideals and standards for society?

1 Corinthians 13
1 If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Great answer and I totally agree. What I disagree with is the general pessimism that seems to pervade a lot of peoples answers when they talk about the present or future state of the world. I believe humanity as an entity in itself is moving towards something. What that something is I do not know (global conciousness....?) however I have faith enough that it will be good. And whatever it is we are moving towards it at an ever increasing pace. The world is more connected than ever, the rate of technological innovation is growing faster and faster.....

What you see now are the teething pains of humanity as it gets used to the fact that for the 1st time since the evolution of man 200,000 years ago, we have gotten to a point where our actions as humanity can actually effect things globally. This began happening around the time of the industrial evolution but it has only been since the 80's that we as humans have actually recognised the the global ramifications of our actions. And only now (20 years later) are we even attempting to fix it. Humans have been doing whatever they want for so long and getting away with it, it is very difficult to break out of that thought pattern.

There is always a lag time between technology and learning how to use it responsibly. But if you do believe in a higher power or a universal destiny then you also have to admit that there is a reason the world is currently in the state it is in. We as humans now have so much power to implement change, yet the majority of people still operate on a very baseline, reactionary level of thinking. They are still only taking care of number 1, without realising what they do can now have a massive ripple effect. Or their thinking is influenced by very outdated religious ideals, or its not how their mother used to do it back in the 70's, or they are simply so caught up in the material world they fail to see the bigger picture

But things are slowly changing within the consiousness of the world. Possibly only because all the mistakes we've been making are finally starting to effect people and governments financially. But they are changing.

The something I alluded to earlier may be a NWO, a change in global consiousness, possibly even a further innovation in the field of renewable energy. I have very serious doubts that it will have anything to do with reptilians, the rapture or the illuminati but whatever it is we are moving towards it at an ever increasing rate.

And I think it will be a good thing. Why? Because the world is big enough and ugly enough to take care of herself, and we are all part of that world. Sounds a little wishy washy new age-ish i know. But things are much simpler than most people suspect.

I consider myself very fortunate to live during this period where global consciousness has begun en masse to slowly shift. The reason all of us currently live in this time period is because we are meant to exist at this time. The mark each of us are destined to leave upon this world was due to begin when each of us were born, and is due to finish when each of us die.

Amore et lux.

edit on 26/6/2011 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
With all the idiotism going on I would say the chances of humanity making the best out of themselves is like claiming an athlete to perform to his best in hangover, diarrhea and fever. Spiritually it is 'enough' to have a minority of enlightened minds. But the problem is the consumption of nature which is frightening. If people would understand to eat healthy and heal the nature, lot of things would be better.
edit on 26-6-2011 by Jonas86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
It's true that as a biological species we are pretty much at the same level of development as we were 10,000 years ago. However, our ability to use tools (technology) has been on an upward sloping exponential curve. We will soon create artificial intelligence greater than our own, ushering in a singularity-like explosion of change that will radically advance our species.

Check out the graph in this article, for an idea of how soon this could all happen (within our lifetimes)

aftercontact.org...

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Amore et lux.

edit on 26/6/2011 by 1littlewolf because: (no reason given)

Great reply, I starred it and that's uncommon for me to make the effort. I hope others will read what we've discussed instead of flying off the cuff from now on.
edit on 2011/6/26 by sbctinfantry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
lol there is no money in the *fix*
if they made homes as strong and resistent as they could it would last hundreds of years and still look good.
that costs money, not to mention the buisness a flopy house brings in, a leaky ceiling and its $5000 to fix :/
medicen no matter how you look at it is a GLOBAL BUISNESS, im sure we can creat a cure for aids,
(and just so no idiot tries to contridict me i fully understand what aids is) a imune deficienty virus witch never shows up in the same form.(laymans terms.) i mean hospitals have huge bills. whats better then milkin a dying patient?

# america as a whole could save # loads if they would use hemp instead of lumber, and it would have a positive impact on the enviorment. but that would hurt the lumber industy.
anyone seen nasa's latest space technology breakthrough??? thought not.its just buisness.

basically this world is #ed up to the point were we would rather controle large organazations in places of extreem wealth and power, (witch is completly a mental thing) and let humanity forever loop this disgusting trend.
shows how much we evolve. humans life can be valued at the #ing dime these days. and no matter how much we rant unless someone with huge amounts of power were to change things it cant be fixed. im talking some serious renegade trillionare #. the greatest and fastest technological developments happens during time of civil unrest and war. ww1 brought alot of good inovations. ww2 aeronomics got a #ing jesus bumb. cold war started us on space travel i meen to me humanity just looks like a bunch of primates hording different kinds of food eachother, and only get serious about inovation when one sides desides to take the others power :\

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join