It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctica Mysteries Ice free?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Dear Phage

Yes that is exactly what I meant and thanks for the explanation.

So all in all there is nothing to all of this then.

Google Earth (mapping effect)

Snow & Ice free area (simply natural and visited by many boffins even if the work is not know by many)

However

Operation Highjump : (at the time was a real big deal with many men and ships put together very quickly and then cut short) just to look for mineral deposits I suppose? Which although there they seam to have done nothing about. So rush down find them and then?

The missing 3 hours of flight : (certainly there is the question of fuel which I have not found an answer too) I would not fancy gliding a C47 too far over that area.

The Nazi interest before WW2 : (we know they were out and about looking for many things, from that point of view I think Hitler would have been interesting to speak too)

What is your opinion? Is there something that needs to be looked at or is it all BS put together over the years.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

There were a number of reasons for the expedition. Not the least of which was preparation for warfare under arctic conditions (for a possible conflict with the Soviet Union).

Chief of naval operations, Chester W. Nimitz, code named the project Operation Highjump. Instructions were for twelve ships and several thousand men to make their way to the Antarctic rim to (1) train personnel and test material in the frigid zones; (2) consolidate and extend American sovereignty over the largest practical area of the Antarctic continent; (3) determine the feasibility of establishing and maintaining bases in the Antarctic and to investigate possible base sites; (4) develop techniques for establishing and maintaining air bases on the ice, with particular attention to the later applicability of such techniques to operations in interior Greenland, where, it was claimed, physical and climatic conditions resembled those in Antarctica, and (5) amplify existing knowledge of hydrographic, geographic, geological, meteorological and electromagnetic conditions in the area.

www.south-pole.com...
The expedition was not "cut short".

What missing three hours? Can you provide a credible source for that claim?

The Germans' interest in Antarctica was scientific (like other countries), economic (they were interested in establishing a whaling station), and military (scouting for a naval base).

I think that Byrd's "secret diary" is fiction.

edit on 6/21/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by MAC269

There were a number of reasons for the expedition. Not the least of which was preparation for warfare under arctic conditions (for a possible conflict with the Soviet Union).

Chief of naval operations, Chester W. Nimitz, code named the project Operation Highjump. Instructions were for twelve ships and several thousand men to make their way to the Antarctic rim to (1) train personnel and test material in the frigid zones; (2) consolidate and extend American sovereignty over the largest practical area of the Antarctic continent; (3) determine the feasibility of establishing and maintaining bases in the Antarctic and to investigate possible base sites; (4) develop techniques for establishing and maintaining air bases on the ice, with particular attention to the later applicability of such techniques to operations in interior Greenland, where, it was claimed, physical and climatic conditions resembled those in Antarctica, and (5) amplify existing knowledge of hydrographic, geographic, geological, meteorological and electromagnetic conditions in the area.

www.south-pole.com...
The expedition was not "cut short".

What missing three hours? Can you provide a credible source for that claim?

The Germans' interest in Antarctica was scientific (like other countries), economic (they were interested in establishing a whaling station), and military (scouting for a naval base).

I think that Byrd's "secret diary" is fiction.

Dear Phage

Well credible you tell me but it is in the last section of the US navy documentary Secret Land,

video.google.com...#

If the dairies are fake as you say they are based on this.

Note that these extra 3 hours of flying time only happen after Byrd has been told that ½ the fuel is gone and he has ordered a return to base.

Now it does not give there position at the time, so they may have had the fuel required for the extra 3 hours? However if they where on a straight out and back route they would not have made it, even allowing for a reserve.

The Germans where after all sorts including the Ark of the Covenant. In fact the whole story of the lost ark is just about right if you take Harrison Ford out of the picture. They where digging in Tanis at that time.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

I didn't see anything in the film about the flight being 3 hours late, just that he landed three hours after the other planes. Byrd wanted to extend the last flight as long as possible. With fuel half gone it means it's time to return to base. The range of an R4D (C47) is at least 1,600 miles. Half of that is 800 miles. At a cruising speed of 160mph that's 5 hours flight time. What's the problem?

Can you provide evidence that the Nazis were looking for the Ark? Can you explain what it has to do with Antarctica?

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Dear Phage

I think it was a National Geographic documentary that was tracing the known where abouts of the Ark of the convent in which they heavily mentioned the Nazi search for it in Tanis. It would seam that it is relatively common knowledge that the Nazis where looking for many such items before and even during WW2.

I will have to watch the documentary again for the 3 hours.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Dear Phage

So he is beyond the pole from Little America on a triangular route when told fuel ½ gone. The one engine fails and the other is losing power. They have to through out anything not essential. The base is on emergency alert. They where all ready at the maximum range so where do the 3 hours come from. Only one engine burning fuel but no doubt that one would have been at full throttle.

You are right there is no proof but interesting none the less.

Also it would seam that in an interview with a South American news paper he mentions that he is concerned about aircraft that can fly from pole to pole at extreme speed and the possibility of attack.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by MAC269

On a triangular flight path they are not at "maximum" range at 1/2 fuel. Maximum range would be 800 miles from the base straight out from the base. Two sides of a triangle are always longer than the third side, the run back to base is shorter than the two other legs. The three hours come from the difference in when the planes started their return to base, obviously. Were the planes all flying together? Don't disregard the intentional use of drama in the film, there is no shortage of it.

Also it would seam that in an interview with a South American news paper he mentions that he is concerned about aircraft that can fly from pole to pole at extreme speed and the possibility of attack.

I wish you would provide your source when you say things like that. The context and actual quote are important.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Here you go:
www.bibliotecapleyades.net...
Translation:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 21-6-2011 by Regenstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Regenstorm

Thanks.

QUOTE: "Admiral Richard E Byrd warned today of the need for the United States to adopt protective measures against the possibility of invasion of the country by hostile aircraft proceeding from the polar regions. 'I don't want to scare anybody but the bitter reality is that in the event of a new war the United States will be attacked by aircraft flying in from one or both poles."

It sounds to me like he's talking about polar (great circle) routes (or possibly an Antarctic base). Certainly not "aircraft that can fly from pole to pole at extreme speed".

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

A base?
This base perhaps...
May 06, 1941, New York Times

NAZI BASE REPORTED IN ANTARCTIC AREA; Repair Shop at Deception Bay, 500 Miles From South America, Is Blown Up BYRD MAKES DISCLOSURE Admiral at Boston Greets Ship Returning With Members of United States Expedition BOSTON, May 5 -- The establishment of a German naval repair shop at Deception Bay, only 500 miles from South America, was revealed today as the motorship North Star docked at the army base with thirty-six scientists and explorers home from Little America.

select.nytimes.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Doubtful. A "German naval repair shop" doesn't sound much like an airbase. It sounds more like a repair shed for ships.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Well, the point is that up to this day the German government explicitly denies that the Nazis have ever build a base in the Antarctic region. And this one got discovered, perhaps there are/were more of them, which in my opinion is very likely. Germany also claimed the region they explored during "die Neu Schwabenland Expedition" and the Reich (not the Federal Republic of Germany) is still at war with the rest of the world.

Cigar shaped UFOs---> converted submarines of which more than a 100 were missing after WW2.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by MAC269
reply to post by youallcrazy

So all that says to me that this is real and it is being hidden. But WHY?

in b4 hollow earth,

sorry lol

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
UPDATE

USGS got back to me again and it looks like the image google maps/Earth uses is not a LIMA photo

The image you see is most likely came from the University of Minnesota's Polar Geospatial Center. They have been funded to gather and host commercial satellite data on their web site. That imagery is much smaller pixel size than LIMA's 15 meters.
Their URL is:

www.agic.umn.edu...

I hope this answers your question.

still trying to find where the Google image comes from, it has such high resolution not sure which satellite took it.
also from the above site might be of interest repository.agic.umn.edu... google Earth interface of all of the aerial photography of antarctica
edit on 21-6-2011 by youallcrazy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by youallcrazy

According to the copyright caption on Google Earth, the images come from Digital Globe

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

ah that makes sense, the resolution was too high for gov't satellite

Most of the high resolution satellite imagery is already at 60 - 100 cm resolution
for Digital Global satellite

limited to releasing images for commercial use at no higher than 50 cm resolution by government restrictions.
Guess that means no way to get at the original images.

and duh, didnt even notice the copyright info for the photo. was taken Feb. 22 2006 summer
edit on 21-6-2011 by youallcrazy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Not likely.

From your link, I think this statement is most revealing.

www.south-pole.com...

"Objectives" included "Consolidating and extending United States sovereignty over the largest practicable area of the Antarctic continent". Perhaps the Departments of State and Navy had wished for major territorial claims, but the fact of the matter is that no formal claims were made by the men of OPERATION HIGHJUMP. It was not launched in a scramble for Antarctica's natural resources nor was it launched for the chief purpose of territorial expansion. According to news releases of Admiral Byrd's November 12 press conference announcing OPERATION HIGHJUMP, "The Navy strongly discounted reports that the voyage will be primarily a lap in the race for uranium. 'When this expedition was first talked about, uranium wasn't even mentioned. The statement that this is a uranium race for atomic energy is not correct', Admiral Byrd was quoted as saying. However, the basic objectives were not diplomatic, scientific or economic -- they were military. OPERATION HIGHJUMP was, and to this day still is, the largest Antarctic expedition ever organized.

Especially the second to last sentence.

All military exercises are training exercises, except if it turns into a fight.

That was too large of a military operation to be written off for any of the reasons you cited. They put a lot of people at risk in treacherous seas, and odds are high that the only reason they would take such a force down there is because they felt they had good reason.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Yes, it's interesting the story didn't get more coverage, being wartime and all.

Perhaps it wasn't a Nazi repair shop at all. While there isn't anyplace called Deception Bay in Antarctica, the article is probably referring to Deception Island. Perhaps it was a whaling station which was destroyed in order to prevent Nazi's from utilizing it. Even back then the MSM could screw a story up.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I owned once a copy of Assault on Eternity
Somewhere in the book it was stated:
"It's very likely that this becomes the decisive battleground for WW3."
edit on 21-6-2011 by Regenstorm because: typosssss

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

Yes, military. As I said.

Quite likely. The Navy trains "in treacherous seas" and adverse conditions constantly. That's what training is about. What's the point of motoring around in nice calm tropical seas when you have the Soviet Union pacing outside your door? Training for arctic warfare makes more sense.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join