It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horn of Africa - NEW Rift or Mountain from Nabro through Shibiris

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by observe50

As far as I know; they are there on Pirate Patrol; A little south and East of this is where the Somali pirates are hijacking ships for ransom. They make very good money out of that too.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Painterz
Thank you Mods, I'd hate to see another thread derailed about a topic that has already been thrashed to death elsewhere.

And back on topic, I wonder why we haven't seen much footage of these volcanoes, I assume the region is very very remote and difficult for news teams to get into? Particularly for something as generally 'common' as a volcanic eruption?

As I did explain before; there are a few reasons why Main Stream Media (MSM) are absent.

1) Remoteness:

This North African region could just as well be on the moon. If one starts off from say London to go to say Shimbiris in Somaliland; you need a visa. There are no visa services anywhere else in the world except Djibouti and Addis Ababa. Thus you will need to fly to either of the two cities. On top of that, even if you have a visa you anyway have to fly the same route. On arrival you have to apply for the visa, then they will need to correspond via main pouch with Hargeisa. Usually one day flight in, next day to process; offices are closed Thursday and Friday, Saturday and Sunday is half holiday too. Thus, next working day after processing visa, it is taken back to wherever you are on next flight. Day after that - again if it is not Thursday or Friday - you can go to get your visa. Off course it all depends on the responsible people - at least 7 of them are all in office waiting for your form. Generally you will wait between 5 and 9 days for your visa. Now, that is Somaliland.

As for Eritrea; you better hope they have a consul in your own country. Notoriously Eritrea can take 14 days up to 30 days to have first refusal, then another 14 days (and extra payments) to eventually get a visa. Problem for Eritrea, any visa only allows you passing through the airport into city of Asmera. If you want to travel anywhere else you need to get a special travel permit; one which has a typical processing time of about 4 working days. A permit to buy extra fuel in tanks, a permit to rent a guide, a permit to carry a camera. permits, permits, permits. . .

If you are a day dreamer you would think your trouble is over now; big mistake. Now you have to find transport. Unless you know lots of people or have a big bag of cash - it will be very difficult. Once you overcame that; you need to find fuel and a group of guides who are willing to go outside of the city - not easy. THEN only can you start planning your trip. Now you have to get food, water and first aid.

Generally you NEVER travel in this regions with one vehicle - that is stupid compared to driving bicycle with no reflectors in middle of German Autobahn around midnight. At least two vehicles, usually three and at least 5 able people.

Now you are ready? Not yet, you still need to get armed protection; this remote areas are full of armed bandits who loves to grab foreigners and demand ransoms.

Early morning Breakfast and shower at the local hotel - in this case Somaliland. The other 'bundles' you see all over are the late sleepers. Oh - we are sleeping on the side of the highway of the remote countryside - River Bed. Somebody always have to stay awake, watching and listening because flash floods are a well known risk. But then - this is the only soft beds you can get around there. The tent was my only real luxury, Hassan thought I gave him a part of heaven when I left.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/73c9524a46f8.jpg[/atsimg]

2) Local people:
Ok, so why don't you see pictures taken by local people?
They are very fearful and superstitious people; can make war, can fight and can make love - but with nature they do not play games. You would find it very difficult to get people going near such a natural force. The other issue is with camera's. Many of this folk in country side still believe a camera takes your soul - they just do not have many cameras. Oh and communications - THAT is a nightmare in this region where the millennia telegraph is more effective. You will know the news long before anybody can travel that distance; but you can't get photos and videos.

As for local people - The third biggest city in Eritrea is Assab near Nabro; about 25,000 people. Assab is about 190 km by road from Nabro - I would estimate travel time about two days.

Money for camera's use of computers - well this area of the world has them - in the main cities only. Not in the country side. For a normal citizen of Somaliland to travel to Shimbiris will cost the equivalent of two to four months of income; just very basic travel. That they can't afford because not only the expense but also the aspect of being away from making income during that time.

3) News Worthy:
Should this area really have a major volcanic eruption and it destroys say the unlikely 25 km radius in seconds; the total number of deaths would unlikely exceed 20,000. So, who would even care about a volcano that is just blowing smoke? Or a mere crack on the surface of the Earth. News media needs to have content that can impress their followers; not something relatively low on the visual WOW scale.

If anybody read this whole post, you need my personal medalion for 'Tenacity' or reward for 'Curiosity' Let me know

edit on 18/6/2011 by Aromaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
So, having read the post and the impossibilities facing anyone trying to get there - we just have to rely on good 'ol you to keep us up to date with anything you can muster ....the sat photos are always interesting.

By the way - did I read elsewhere at the beginning of this new eruption when you said some geologists may be en route but we can expect to wait at least two weeks for any real news ? I think you mentioned some people near ish who were en route ?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
oh NO!

The world is coming to and end!

Lift me up rapture style!

more fear mongering

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
not to get off topic or anything but you mentioned the gulf of Aden in your opening post, and i rememebred a few moons ago there was a few thread on here regarding an international military build up. If you believed the story behind the official story that it was to curb piracy and that the real reason was because stargates were opening up there and the military wanted it secure.

so im just throwing it out there. i know i know. where are the facts? look just spit balling here i know its ludicrous but i just thought i would mention it in case anybody else had more information on it.

god i cant believe im saying this, star gates couldnt possible cause earth quakes could they? extremes in elector magnetic disturbances?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Very nice man! Not a mention in the media, but then again those are very rural areas. The fact you were able to find these using a live SAT is what makes this thread cool!!!! S+F

I have a question tho. Would the outlined areas your showed be filled in with water? Could this area become a giant sink hole? Or is it growing upwards due to the forces of tectonic plates?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

Frankly - we do not know exactly what is happening.

SOME BACKGROUND:
There are two items in play here: Tectonic plate movement and Continental drift. People often think it is the same thing. Use Google to get some better understanding in details. In short simple words:

Continental: This is the upper most layer on Earth - the dry land you see (Continental Crust) and the thinner sea floor (Oceanic Crust). This is semi attached onto but not always as sometimes it can move independent from the Tectonic plates.

Tectonic plates are usually under the crust still solid 'rock' but broken in sections or plates. Thickness is estimated between 50 and 300 km. These plates are also moving, as the original OP Alfred Wegner in 1915 compared it to Arctic Ice floating on the Sea.

Below the Tectonic plates we start getting molten magma. The weight of the continental shelf and tectonic plates - to which you can also add the movement pressure from the plates; are now causing pressure on the magma. Compare this to you standing on an orange. Some or other time the orange will give in and burst.

BACK TO THE HORN
The reason this is of great interest to me, and many other geologists that actually walked there is the controversial geophysics.

Normally you will find the tectonic plates are moving apart AND the crust follows the same, so you get magma flowing to the surface through those cracks forcing them more open, more magma, wider open . . . Then comes into play the various other big words like Divergence, Convergence, Slipping and Subduction - Google these words for more background. Somewhere, some distant away the plate will have to give in and dive under another - subduction.

This is what I suspect here:
Once upon a time, long long ago . . . the tectonic plates moved apart and Arabia broke off from Africa, so everything was peaceful with magma flowing through the crack to the surface and widening the gap while still filling the space up.

Then quite recently (Geologically speaking) something happened and the tectonic plates started moving closer together - closing the gap. Nothing strange there but what seems to be - my theory now - is that the normal subduction is not taking place. Now the magma is building up pressure, there is nowhere to go along the old rift anymore; but somewhere they have to get out.

This is what I THINK is happening now - the magma is forcing through the continental crust to the surface. That is causing a 'block of crust'; mountain ridge to lift up. Hence I stated it is building not cracking; a mountain ridge rather than rift.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ae820c3337fd.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by slidingdoor
So, having read the post and the impossibilities facing anyone trying to get there - we just have to rely on good 'ol you to keep us up to date with anything you can muster ....the sat photos are always interesting.

By the way - did I read elsewhere at the beginning of this new eruption when you said some geologists may be en route but we can expect to wait at least two weeks for any real news ? I think you mentioned some people near ish who were en route ?

Nope, you do not have to rely on me at all. There are a number of other posts/reports/observations on the internet.
I am posting here out of own interest and for those few who might find it interesting.

Yes, at least three of the people you see in my photo (sleeping on the river bed in Somaliland) are on the way.
Two others I know from Saudi Arabia as well. The Somaliland blokes had difficulty in Eritrea 'Too Dangerous to go there, no permits" so they are now approaching from Ethiopian side. Most lilkely they are near or even at Nabro but reluctant to return to the civilized world of Ofices, phones and paperwork reports.

As for Somliland itself; nobody (geologist) there to go there at present they are at or near Nabro; most likely does not even know something is happening in Somaliland.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZforZionism
oh NO!

more fear mongering

You are out of place, silly and 99% blind or dislectic.

Where did you see 'fear mongering' or 'rapture' or 'World is coming to an end' here?

This is purely about the interesting natural everyday phenomena called GeoPhysics.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aromaz

Originally posted by ZforZionism
oh NO!

more fear mongering

You are out of place, silly and 99% blind or dislectic.

Where did you see 'fear mongering' or 'rapture' or 'World is coming to an end' here?

This is purely about the interesting natural everyday phenomena called GeoPhysics.

I know man, that guy was seriously blowing hot air in the wrong thread. Almost like a skeptical robot that had a slight malfunction.

Interesting information, thanks very much. sf4u

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iluna
This has been known for years - here is an article from 2006:

Africa's New Ocean: A Continent Splits Apart

Normally new rivers, seas and mountains are born in slow motion. The Afar Triangle near the Horn of Africa is another story. A new ocean is forming there with staggering speed -- at least by geological standards. Africa will eventually lose its horn.

Africa's New Ocean

THAT is exacly which I differ on! It is not a new ocean forming, it is filling up and forming new mountains.
The Der Spiegel article is a very nice one; though as in every science people have different opinions and theories.
Thanks for sharing that.

The photo slide show is also very interesting - my remarks:
Look at Slide #1 & #2 = Crust movement, not tectonic.
#3 Afar region was some time UNDER sea, now it is lifting up - because of magma and tectonic fracture
#7 = Wrong. Not 'Tectonic plate' but Continental shelf. That is one big problem with most theories here, which I also underwrote for 30 years. Currently we have the Continental shelf and Tectonic plate not moving same direction. Anyway - both viewpoints are subjective theories.
#8 Crack: The area on the right is at least 10 meters higher than on the left where the people are walking.
Exact fit with my theory of block lifting / mountian forming.
#9 Crack - but on top of mountain. This is such a perfect picture for even a whole lecture. A picture speaks a thousand words! The white you see is not snow; it is SALT. Salt usually forms from brine (sea water) deposits and evaporation of water. This can only happen in a depression. Now you find the salt deposits are much higher than the shrub grown solid rocky plateau bellow. So this area clearly lifted up. Like a block. In that process part of the edge is breaking loose from the bulk and going to fall over - hence the crack. Clasical 'land slide' coming.

www.spiegel.de...

edit on 18/6/2011 by Aromaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Sorry, just a classic example of a triple junction. Many examples all throughout geologic time and from all over the world. I suggest an intro to geology class to learn how plate tectonics works and how the theory accounts for the geologic landforms in this region.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by youallcrazy
Sorry, just a classic example of a triple junction. Many examples all throughout geologic time and from all over the world. I suggest an intro to geology class to learn how plate tectonics works and how the theory accounts for the geologic landforms in this region.

You are absolutely right. Did you see something like this happen in our lifetime?
Can't remember seeing in this thread there was a statement of Mystery or Secret.
Are you sugesting I need an 'Intro to geology' or are you refering to someone/somehting else?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Aromaz

Yes I was replying to you. Sorry to be a jerk, but your OP and pretty much every one of your posts after has been riddled with inaccuracies, misconceptions and a general lack of understanding of geology. Maybe its a language barrier, but you imply that you are a geologist and that the things you are posting are facts...nope, sorry. I admire your enthusiasm but your understanding of the subject needs much work.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Aromaz

need more proof that earth wasnt built in seven days?

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by youallcrazy

So, then I presume you are a geologist?

A very short 37 years ago I had a Professor Van Der Merwe at UNISA. He had quite a particular description for certain people; and you never dare to get that stamped on your papers.

4 TRACK TAPE: The implications are that the best you can do is to play back the magnetic distortions of sound made by someone or something else. 4 Track were those old small tape cassettes with a 6 mm wide magnetic tape and a very short lifetime. They never have the ability to understand any of the recordings that were made on them.

I thank God for a Prof like that; he taught us more than following 'text books' that were written by Baboons. I wonder if you would know the difference between a Baboon and a Money and a Ape?

I fail to see any of your creations other than a P . . . P . . . P here or there; a few proving you do not even have a clue how Satellites work or why portions of Antarctica is not covered in snow. I am not hiding my face nor my name; it is on my posts; my details are there and any person can find lots of info about/from/to me on the interent. I wonder what that would implicate?

At least I can proof a number of my achiefments; not by or in my own writings. I fail to even find your name?

Thus Mr. 4 Track Tape; go play a sound.

"No-Over" and OUT.

edit on 19/6/2011 by Aromaz because: Foolishness

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Aromaz

I wouldn't even reply to this kind of wild conjecture thread, but the fact that you imply you are a geologist

The reason this is of great interest to me, and many other geologists that actually walked there is the controversial geophysics.
is very misleading to people reading this thread and thinking that anything you say has any basis in reality. Yes I am a geologist (PhD and Masters in geosciences) but I don't claim I'm a medical doctor because I've read a few Web MD articles.

I don't want to even deal with your wild conjecture on vulcanism in the "Horn of Africa" but your misunderstanding of the basics on plate tectonics hurts your conclusions. If you want to make some extreme theories using the basics of plate tectonics...fine, but you need to have the basics down before you can even begin to "free-style" on the causes of volcanoes in Eritrea.

Your post www.abovetopsecret.com... if filled with mistakes.

Tectonic plates are usually under the crust still solid 'rock' but broken in sections or plates.

Tectonic plates refers to the Lithosphere of the Earth. They are not under the crust, they are comprised of all of the crust and the uppermost, solid mantle. They move as a distinct unit.

Below the Tectonic plates we start getting molten magma. The weight of the continental shelf and tectonic plates - to which you can also add the movement pressure from the plates; are now causing pressure on the magma. Compare this to you standing on an orange. Some or other time the orange will give in and burst.

The asthenosphere beneath the lithosphere (the tectonic plate) is not a big body of molten rock as above statement and your diagrams imply. It is a SOLID that because of heat and pressure deforms plastically over geologic time (silly putty is a good analogue as to its behavior over seconds). This hot ductile mantle usually only melts when you lower the pressure above it (Mid Ocean Ridges), or add water to it (subduction zones).

There are many other mistakes. Mistakes are how we learn, but I take issue with you representing yourself as a geologist instead of an enthusiastic amateur. But again if that was just my misinterpreting your statement

because of language barrier, I apologize.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Aromaz

I read it al :O

What did I win ?

Unfortunately you are right about the news people. What is wrong with them peoples ? What's up with all the burocracy ?

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by youallcrazy

I could not resit yet another answer, sorry folks, last one I promise.

Ahh, that is good to know Dr. "YouAllCrazy".
In that case we would surely appreciate you teaching us old fools;

Would like to see your take on all of this North East Africa geology Dr. "YouAllCrazy"
- and no '4 Track tape'
Can only guess how students will play with such a name

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Aromaz

Your argument of 4-track take while true in some respects is false in others. Like all science, geology uses the current paradigms to evaluate data and come up with theories on why things happen like they do. Of course I use modern plate tectonic theory when I evaluate large scale Earth processes as does every other geologist. You are doing the same thing, except I am saying that you dont know the basics of the theory well enough to put your theories within the plate tectonic framework in a logical manner.

If you think plate tectonics is wrong and want to break out of the 4-track tape of plate tectonics then you need to know plate tectonics backwards and forwards in order to say why it is wrong.

People who make paradigm shifts know the old paradigm so well that they can see the way forward and revolutionize science. Am I a paradigm shifter? hell no, I'm part of the clean up crew like 99.9% of the scientist alive today.

But I do agree with you that scientists can definitely become complacent and only think what they are taught.

As to the Red Sea/East African rift system. I've never done research there so I have to rely on the work of others and evaluate whether I agree with it or not. The articles that are accesible to anyone (without a sciencedirect account etc) that I've been reading are

www.earthscrust.org... Seismology and crustal structure of the region - technical but not too bad.

www.ees.rochester.edu... how the rift system evolved over the last 30 million years, very technical.

www.mantleplumes.org... technical but with some very interesting graphs and diagrams...This one I think you will like. About a pretty controversial geology subject - mantle plumes. mantleplumes.org has a lot of papers both for and against the existence of mantle plumes. This paper talks about the theory on how a hot plume of SOLID (but squishy) rock from the deep mantle caused the start of rifting and in this area as well as causing huge volumes of basalts to be erupted from fissures.

No conclusions on my part yet, but I've always liked idea and evidence for mantle plumes initiating rifting and then triple junction being the best way to relieve the resulting tensional stresses in the egg-shell shaped lithosphere.

whatever the causes of geology in this area of world, I agree with you that it is an amazing place and needs more study, more money and more attention.
edit on 20-6-2011 by youallcrazy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join