It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WTF Did I Just See

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Ok I just saw an object traveling diagonally over the western sky. It seemed to be traveling SW to NW, though I cant be sure. I've seen satellites before and their flares, where they look like small moving stars and then increase in luminosity many times over for at most 10 seconds. This thing I just saw looked like a faint moving star, and I figured it was just a satellite when it flashed like a camera once. Then after 10 seconds it flashed twice, with maybe a second between each flash. Every ten seconds it flash either once or twice, randomly, for about 2 minutes. It was random in its flashing. then it just disappeared as it reached the horizon. I feel if it was a satellite it would become like a larger moving star as it reached the horizon given the sunlight, but it just vanished.

Do satellites do this? I've heard that dead satellites sometimes look like they are strobing, but I figure they would be more orderly and sequenced than this thing.

Thoughts?
edit on 17-6-2011 by SubPop79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
HMMMM probably a UFO. But I doubt you'll figure it out and asking us is just not going to help too much either. (no video or pics)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
yes satellites can be very variable in appearance and depending on orbit can appear or disappear near or far from horizon.

go to www.heavens-above.com... and try and match it up with known satellite
edit on 17-6-2011 by youallcrazy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by RainboStar
HMMMM probably a UFO. But I doubt you'll figure it out and asking us is just not going to help too much either. (no video or pics)

Believe me, I know. I mean, I just gotta ask somebody else to keep myself from thinking it was some vague UFO. I love the mystery, but I can't just keep it to myself. I'm only human, and I realize sometimes I, like everyone else, will keep a bias and almost make myself believe I saw something that it wasn't. Get what I'm saying?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by youallcrazy
yes satellites can be very variable in appearance and depending on orbit can appear or disappear near or far from horizon.

go to www.heavens-above.com... and try and match it up with known satellite

I did. Nothing. Stellarium was my first hit, and there was no major satellite in that area of the sky. I know they can be variable, but damn, THAT variable? How many dead satellites ARE there?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Iridium flare possibly?

www.skyandtelescope.com...
edit on 17-6-2011 by SeekerLou because: correction

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SubPop79

upload.wikimedia.org...

Space debris populations seen from outside geosynchronous orbit (GEO). Note the two primary debris fields, the ring of objects in GEO, and the cloud of objects in low earth orbit (LEO).

quite a bit lmao

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SubPop79

It would have been more interesting if it had changed direction or speed.
I personally think this is some sort of satellite or similar.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Nice thread, often discussed but I don't remember reading a proper solution. I've been wondering about this, and the flashing - why it's random or sometimes in a pattern - for some time. You don't always see the faint glow of the satellite itself, just flashes moving across the night sky. Anyway, your thread made me Google it, and I found a decent explanation - tumbling satellites:

Many satellites do not have a constant brightness, they give off flashes at (usually) regular times. This flashing behavior is caused by the rotation of the satellite around its rotation axis. The satellite's metallic surfaces act as mirrors for the sun (specular reflection).

Objects with a diffusely reflecting surface will also show varying brightness since the observer will see a changing amount of light reflecting area of the rocket as it tumbles about in its orbit.

Regular observations of the flash period can shed light on the rotational behavior of satellites. Very little research has been done on the rotational behavior of satellites, and especially the accelerations prove to be very puzzling.

See for yourself - www.satobs.org...

new topics

join