OMG PagPag is GagGag - Get me a Vomit BagBag

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by eldard

This is your opinion, yes? How were they better off?? and the question remains, if you have it good, why leave for something akin to a nightmare? Because they want to? Your logic is too simple. People do not choose to live in poverty.

CJ

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by eldard
reply to post by ColoradoJens

You have to understand the Filipino mindset why this country can't seem to get off the ground. And how do I get through to your dense head that they were better off were they came from than where they are now?

I kind of have to agree with eldard on this point. The reason being is that on several occasions that I know of, the government supplied these people or at least large groups of them with free houses and what may constitute better living environments. On all occasions the majority of the people either complained that the houses weren't up to their standards (even though they were free) and most returned to the city to live in the streets and squatter areas again.
The reason being is that it is easier to scavenge for waste and other trash than to actually cultivate open land and farm your food.This was the excuse given on multiple occasions.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

The perception and often the reality of third world living can be broken down into this view. I say that almost every third world nation has this same attitude. If you are told you are something for centuries, then you become that. Humans are fallible. Humans make excuses. Humans become overwhelmed and give up hope. Those of us fortunate enough to be able to help should. Excuses be dammed.

CJ

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Sorry for the one line post but..........Agreed!

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Thanks snowen20 - I too have conflicted feelings about how to make people realize what they can do to better their lives. I cannot force anyone to do anything. But I can show simple compassion and I see that is where you are coming from too...I admit, when living in South America, I often said disparaging things about the seeming total lack of brainpower of the locals...at first...I still think they are nuts: Example: I worked at an importer/exporter and needed re-bar for a construction job. I go to the factory and say, "I'll take everything you have." The foreman smiles at me and shakes his head..."If I give it to you, what will I have to sell to others who want it?" I settled for half of it...ingrained ignorance that can only be taken away with time...

CJ

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

LOL Exactly!
I think everyone who travels to 3rd world countries is in for a shock. I have told everyone that they need to at least once in their life see the real world, not the safe haven of a 1st world nation.
I too felt the same when I came to this country, I assumed I was obviously more clever and had something to offer, I was an idiot with my own problems, and I have since learned better.
These people DON'T need me, but if I have something to offer I will surely offer it, take it or leave it.
While I may have issues with certain attitude portrayed by the alien humans around me I will not tolerate ignorance portrayed by people who have no experience with living outside their comfort zone; a people that seem to abound in places Like the US and Canada.
Im glad to meet someone on here who really knows what I'm talking about for a change. It really is an experience that I would not have traded for anything.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

The perception and often the reality of third world living can be broken down into this view. I say that almost every third world nation has this same attitude. If you are told you are something for centuries, then you become that. Humans are fallible. Humans make excuses. Humans become overwhelmed and give up hope. Those of us fortunate enough to be able to help should. Excuses be dammed.

CJ

Yes like the 5 monkeys experiment....

Someone close to me thinks she can not improve because they are a certain race and its just how they are....

i have made big changes when at one time i would use the excuses because it is easier.

Behavior is passed on from generation to generation.....education is the key. But sadly most of these ones will never get that education and continue the cycle of dysfunction.

I live here too, you have to become numb to it because there is nothing you can do. Who do you give to and who not...

but the other night when i was enjoying a few sticks of pork an open air BBQ three filthy hungry looking kids standing outside begged me as i went in. I ignored as usual with my shell at full strength. One Poor man eating a broth soup and a cup of rice invited one of the boys to his table...sat him down and gave him his meal and talked and joked with the boy...the other boys stayed outside knowing not to encroach on their friends good fortune.

I sat there with my small family and put my face in my hands and sobbed for about a minute. The shell had broke in a big way and not due to shame....after buying the boys a round of bananas...i put the shell back on to face the rest of the poverty i see every day.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by The Great Day

Thank you for posting this. This is more the reality I see. I am like you and my shell is strong. I have to make these same choices daily; often I choose to ignore. Strangely, there is something in all of us that breaks occasionally - something that night hit you and you felt the pangs of human desperation...I am currently writing on a message board - not the most effective way of helping people...I do not think we must simply turn our lives to helping strangers...our families come first, no matter what...but we do what we can, when we can, and a simple thought now and then of our good fortune can go a long way. Your story resonated with me. Thank you.

CJ
edit on 18-6-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Better off that their children don't have to go hungry since they can get food from the backyard garden or the nearby woods? And it's proper sustenance, too.

Poor people are generally happy and content. It's only when they see how others live that they realize how bad they have it.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Whaaa, your point about Americans being one paycheck away from disaster is, sadly, true. I would say amongst my married friends, if one or the other bread winner goes down for whatever reason, they will be in deep doodoo within a month ie: selling the house, the car etc...disgusting.

CJ
edit on 18-6-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Great Day
Behavior is passed on from generation to generation.....education is the key. But sadly most of these ones will never get that education and continue the cycle of dysfunction.

Not in this country. We produce a lot of college graduates. But they are mostly nurses, seaman, HRM, etc. And a great percentage don't pass. Now many of them face joblessness because other nations stopped absorbing them.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by eldard

I am not disparaging these people for eating. If I were in their shoes, I would eat this too, and be happy or whatever. It is flat out wrong and the potential for massive health issues is exacerbated. No reason for this to be happening. None. I'd eat rocks if I was starving but it ain't gonna help.

CJ

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I think instead of people throwing their uneaten bits away, some sort of program could be set up to at least have a proper and more hygenic way of processing uneaten food.

Like maybe if someone has some food and doesn't eat it, or just takes a bite out of it, there could be containers set up somehow to put this food in. The food could be used right away and it might be a bit more hygenic.

I have gone out to eat many times and get a big plate of stuff and sometimes I can't eat it all. Sometimes I just take a few bites of one entree or dish. If I could scoop this up for another person, who would sell it or eat it right away, it would at least be a little less nasty.

The problem I have is with it being in the garbage and sitting around to go bad.

There are mall people, I have heard of them, they literally go into shopping malls and they wait for someone to order food. Then when the person is done, they go and eat the rest of their food.

Sometimes a person may order french fries or a hamburger or something and they don't eat it all, then they just walk off or they throw the food away.

Then someone goes to retrieve it and they eat it. It is nasty, but some people are hungry and homeless and this is how they get some food. I can't imagine doing this, but I have heard of people even in the United States doing this.

I also know that stores sometimes have food that is out of date and has to be thrown away. It may not be much out of date or 'that bad'. It might still be edible.

You or I might not think it fit for consumption, but a starving person would eat it. They might feel a bit ill but if it doesn't kill them, they live another day.

We are so quick to judge people but they are starving. I might become a mall person myself if I ever was out of money and no one would help me and I couldn't get any government help.

I have seen homeless people eating from the trash in the United States. Once when I visited Washington D.C. I was in line for the White House and I just bought a drink. As I was about to go in I was told I could not take the drink in. A homeless man was retrieving drinks this way. Some people were buying drinks and being told they could not take them in, so they didn't even get much to drink from the cup. The homeless people knew they could retrieve at least a bit more hygenic food or drink by being around landmarks such as this where food can not be taken in. At least it was a bit more hygenic because it could be retrieved right away and didn't have a chance to spoil.

In another country where food is reused, I think there should be better ways to retrieve uneaten food so it would not have to be retrieved from the garbage. I feel sorry for people who have to eat this way, but it doesn't seem to be killing anyone. There should be way for people to get together with even some sort of simple way to contain the recently discarded food.

If all the venders got together, they could potentially work to make it better. Obviously everyone takes a chance eating after another person, but starving people can't be too choosy. But there should be a way to at least have a way to contain the food so it is used right away before it has a chance to mix with trash or be spoiled.

Before anyone judges, I think we might actually see this in the United States one day. It should never happen but what if people are starving and there are no jobs and people have to eat? Rather than have riots or chaos, the Government should allow people to reused uneaten food or expired food or even food that has bites taken out of it. Starving people already retireve this food anyway. If they have nothing to loose and want to take a chance on it, then it should not be illegal.

I hope it never comes to that, but it could. But if it does there should be containers for paying customers to dump uneaten food so it can be stored to use to feed the hungry. It should be quickly so it can not spoil. Those who chose to eat it will be agreeing under a nonverbal contract or unwritten contract, they the take all risks involved with eating it.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

But unlike Mother Teresa, I prefer to acknowledge the root causes of poverty instead of just tackling it on the surface.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by eldard

Perhaps it's a little "se me salto?" Conditioned within the Spanish language to take away fault from the person?

When you drop a really really expensive vase on the floor infront of a group of terrified on lookers - you say,

"Hey! It jumped from me!" not the best way of saying, "I dropped it. Sorry"...I always wondered about that idea, but upon further introspection, all languages have a way of creating apathy towards one's own actions....just thoughts...

CJ

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by eldard

Couldn't agree more.

CJ

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by eldard

Originally posted by The Great Day

Not in this country. We produce a lot of college graduates. But they are mostly nurses, seaman, HRM, etc. And a great percentage don't pass. Now many of them face joblessness because other nations stopped absorbing them.

Yes i know that, i am talking about the ones that grow up in the slums and can not afford college, and you can not tell me that your average baranguy school can provide a decent level of education.

Dont take this personal amigo we are not picking on your people or country, yes you and many Pinoy have much to be proud of. Every country has its poverty...some more than other.
edit on 18-6-2011 by The Great Day because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

CJ,
I agree with you, but out of curiosity can you elaborate n specifically what health issues you are referring to?
The reason I ask is not as obtuse as it may seem. You see, I have noticed that most of the people who actually get ill, and or develop acute diseases are not those who forgive the term but "wallow" in filth. On the contrary it is the people who maintain a far cleaner environment. This is another amazing thing about the resilience of human life.

Take a look at the people in India who bathe and wash and even brush their teeth and drink from the Ganges river, one of the most polluted rivers in the world. If I or you were to take a di in it with in the next day or so we would probably develop several cases of sickness, not limited to tonsillitis,parasitic infection or whatever the case may be, yet natives thrive with in it.

So with that being said, can you explain the health issues beyond the obvious, which is of course that it is unsanitary?
edit on 18-6-2011 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by The Great Day

No worries. You wouldn't believe how I rag on my own country and my people. I keep getting banned from forums because I tell it like it is. And I really know how to be both really insulting while being really funny at the same time.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Snowen; In my experience, disease in the poor is rampant. A lot of it is not the kill you right away stuff; instead a lot of skin disease, teeth issues, intestinal worms, etc. I think a look at mortality rates within the most impoverished nations proves that over time, this just flat out kills you...

Also, the manifestation of disease pathogens can only be helped when you live in waste. Airborne diseases such as malaria are helped by the lack of any sanitation within the slums...hepatitis is passed by fecal encrusted hands passing you a plate of pagpag, etc. Typhoid fever is one brush of the hand on a door nob away...herpes? Don't need to have sex to get that; all of these are just scratch the surface things...

CJ

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join