Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Azodicarbonamide Warning Notice: They are Poisoning Our Food!

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Dear Fellow ATS'ers:

Not sure if you are aware of this, so I wanted to alert you to Azodicarbonamide in our food. It is in nearly every product imaginable. If you are lucky, you may find something that doesn't contain this POISONOUS ingredient.
Educate yourself. This is not the only poison .

Why do they allow this ingredient? It is banned in every other country except for the U.S.
Singapore has up to a 15 year imprisonment and a $450,000 fine. How can they get away with putting poison in our food anyway?

Everyone else has to pay for their crimes! But 'they' can get away with it?
This angers me...

Wanted to call your attention to this POISON in our food..

Take care , stay safe....
and consume safely...

Section 3: Hazards Identification
Potential Acute Health Effects: Hazardous in case of skin contact (irritant), of eye contact (irritant), of ingestion, of inhalation
(lung sensitizer).
Potential Chronic Health Effects:
Slightly hazardous in case of skin contact (sensitizer). CARCINOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. MUTAGENIC EFFECTS:
Mutagenic for bacteria and/or yeast. TERATOGENIC EFFECTS: Not available. DEVELOPMENTAL TOXICITY: Not available.
The substance may be toxic to kidneys. Repeated or prolonged exposure to the substance can produce target organs damage.
Section 4: First Aid Measures
PDF on Azodicarbonamide can be downloaded here:
www.sciencelab.com...

FIRST AID MEASURES
IF IN EYES, immediately flush with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. Get medical attention.
IF ON SKIN, immediately wash with soap and plenty of water. Remove contaminated clothing and shoes.
Get medical attention. Wash clothing before reuse. Thoroughly clean shoes before reuse.
IF INHALED, remove to fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give
oxygen. Get medical attention.
IF SWALLOWED, do NOT induce vomiting. Give water to drink. Get medical attention immediately. NEVER
GIVE ANYTHING BY MOUTH TO AN UNCONSCIOUS PERSON.

www.arkema-inc.com...

This is a call for you all to start reading your labels! Be aware of what you are consuming.
edit on 17-6-2011 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)
edit on 17-6-2011 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)
edit on 17-6-2011 by SeekerLou because: corrected ingredient

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerLou

1. The MSDS for any chemical is written based on direct exposure to that chemical, not to a 45 ppm level that's being ingested. The oral LD50 is over 5g/kg body weight. That's a lot of bread...
2. If you're really interested in understanding the kinds of studies that have been performed for a particular chemical, InChem is the place to go. Here's the InChem entry for azodicarbonamide.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Uh.... am I missing it... I dont see where you are proving what food they are using this chemical substance in. Do you have an ingredients label?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by iterationzero

Hi and thanks for the link.

Here is another link for you.

Use of azodicarbonamide as a food additive is banned in Australia. In the UK, the Health and Safety Executive has identified azodicarbonamide as a respiratory sensitiser (a possible cause of asthma) and determined that products should be labeled with May cause sensitisation by inhalation [5].

webcache.googleusercontent.com...:0UpihgMoVjsJ:rinf.com/alt-news/culture/surprise-ingredients-in-fast-food/1654/+azodicarbonamide+d angers&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Check out your breads, cereals...

You'll be surprised what you find

Also see wiki's link:
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 17-6-2011 by SeekerLou because: Added wiki link

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Hi "good food" fans.

Originally posted by SeekerLou
. . .I wanted to alert you to Azodicarbonamide in our food. . .

THAT's why we switched to almost 100% BIOLOGICAL / ORGANIC food ! !

With the crazyness of food companies, and the psychopaths that work
at Monsanto, we no more dare to touch any "processed" food ! ! !

We buy BIO, and/or directly from the farmers ! !
and. . . everything tastes SOOOOOOOOOO much better ! ! B-)

Blue skies.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by C-JEAN

Hi C-Jean.
Amen and good for you!
I'm well on my way -TRYING to change my eating habits. It's such a transition from what we are used to eating.
You are right... lots of psychos are ruling up there!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Star for a voice of reason, and not more fearmongering. Worst thing you can get from food (unless it's filled with botulism or something) is a wicked bout of food poisoning.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadeWolf

IMO, I'm NOT fearmongering. Just trying to educate.

It would be more reasonable, in my book, to watch what I put into my mouth, and not poison myself!

Tell that to the victims of slow arsenic poisoning when ya get on the other side and see how that stands.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Hi and thanks for the link.

Happy to help.

Here is another link for you.

Should be interesting.

Use of azodicarbonamide as a food additive is banned in Australia. In the UK, the Health and Safety Executive has identified azodicarbonamide as a respiratory sensitiser (a possible cause of asthma) and determined that products should be labeled with May cause sensitisation by inhalation [5].

webcache.googleusercontent.com...:0UpihgMoVjsJ:rinf.com/alt-news/culture/surprise-ingredients-in-fast-food/1654/+azodicarbonamide+d angers&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

Is this from Wikipedia? Your link didn't parse correctly due to length, so I can't actually go to it myself. I Googled the text you cut and pasted to look for the reference and found very similar text on the Wiki entry for azodicarbonamide. The following appears there:

The United States allows azodicarbonamide to be added to flour at levels up to 45 ppm.[6] Use of azodicarbonamide as a food additive is banned in Australia and in Europe[7]. In Singapore, the use of azodicarbonamide can result in up to 15 years imprisonment and a fine of $450,000.[citation needed]

The reference for the US regulations is legit - it goes straight to 21 CFR 172 (direct food additives for human consumption, a set of regs that I've become very familiar with over the last few months), which does indicate that the max level to be found in the flour used in baked goods is 45ppm.

Interestingly, the EU and Australia citation links to an EU occupational health directive, which has nothing to do with its use as a food additive and doesn't apply to Australia. The EU directive is specific to its use as a blowing agent in the manufacture of plastics and the only reference to food is that the plastics may come into contact with food. The most salient point of the directive is that azodicarbonamide is an inhalation hazard for workers coming into direct contact with it. And, as you can see, the Singapore claim has a big fat "citation needed" tag.

So the EU, Australian, and Singapore claims are all unsourced and the only EU reference is for occupational exposure. I'm going to go out on a moderately sturdy limb here and say that if it has been banned in some countries it's more likely that its due to the material being an inhalation hazard than anything else.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by iterationzero

1. The MSDS for any chemical is written based on direct exposure to that chemical, not to a 45 ppm level that's being ingested. The oral LD50 is over 5g/kg body weight. That's a lot of bread...
2. If you're really interested in understanding the kinds of studies that have been performed for a particular chemical, InChem is the place to go. Here's the InChem entry for azodicarbonamide.

From your link;

9. EFFECTS ON HUMANS The effects of exposure to azodicarbonamide in humans have not been fully evaluated. There are no data detailing the effects of single exposures by any route. The most frequently reported effects of repeated exposure to azodicarbonamide are respiratory symptoms as well as, to a lesser extent, skin sensitization reactions. There are no reports relating to the potential for azodicarbonamide to produce other systemic adverse effects. The potential genotoxic, carcinogenic, and reproductive effects of azodicarbonamide in exposed humans have not been studied.

That's just as bad as telling us that marijuana is "bad" for us. But not as bad as prosecuting us for objecting their fool-hardy claims without any scientific findings to base their claims on.

Thanks for the heads-up OP.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   

IMO, I'm NOT fearmongering. Just trying to educate.

No offense meant but, if you're trying to educate, you should be presenting complete information. Let's go back to your OP:

Not sure if you are aware of this, so I wanted to alert you to Azodicarbonamide in our food. It is in nearly every product imaginable. If you are lucky, you may find something that doesn't contain this POISONOUS ingredient.

I'm going to make a brief foray into my kitchen to check on whether or not azodicarbonamide is "in nearly every product imaginable" for myself...

It's not in either of the two peanut butters (the wife likes chunky, I like creamy) sitting on my counter, it's not in my baby's formula, and it's not in my balsamic vinegar. Given that it's allowed to be in bread at 45ppm, maybe I'll go back and check my baked goods...

It's not in my pancake flour, it's not in any of my boxes of pasta, it's not in my cookies, and it's not in my tortilla chips. For a chemical that's as all-pervasive as you claim, I can't seem to find it anywhere in any of the food I have. This doesn't seem to fit the bill of it being "in nearly every product imaginable".

Why do they allow this ingredient?

Because it's an occupational hazard when you inhale it directly and you'd have to eat the bread produced with 250 lbs. of flour (assuming the 45 ppm level) in one sitting to have a chance of dying.

It is banned in every other country except for the U.S.

Citation needed.

Singapore has up to a 15 year imprisonment and a $450,000 fine.

Citation needed.

How can they get away with putting poison in our food anyway?

You mean the poison that's not really poisonous when you eat a piece of bread that contains 45ppm of it? That poison? Vitamin D has a lower toxicity threshold than azodicarbonamide.

Everyone else has to pay for their crimes! But 'they' can get away with it?
This angers me...

Your anger is misplaced.

Wanted to call your attention to this POISON in our food..

The poison that I can't find in any of my food. And then you go on to cite the MSDS for azodicarbonamide, which would relate to occupational exposure, not exposure from food. So, yeah, you kind of are fear mongering when you don't present all the facts or you misrepresent them.

It would be more reasonable, in my book, to watch what I put into my mouth, and not poison myself!

I completely agree, but understand what the real risks are based on what the data says, not based on what you want the data to say.

Tell that to the victims of slow arsenic poisoning when ya get on the other side and see how that stands.

Arsenic poisoning is hardly an apt analogy when azodicarbonamide's greatest risk is associated with inhalation and it doesn't bioaccumulate.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   

So glad I started eating organic, there are so many toxic things in the food chain.

BPA, RBGH, Mercury in corn syrup, the caramel coloring of colas,
bizarre hormones given to cattle and poultry, Ecoli poop to make aspartame, etc etc.

Cola coloring is cancer agent

Not to mention splicing viruses into GMO plants then testing
it and seeing it cause organ failure and put it in the food anyways.

edit on 18-6-2011 by Ex_MislTech because: context

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Here are a couple threads on ATS I'd like to recommend:

Food Truth: The Story about the Poison you All Eat
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Compete What is really in our food:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Hi again iterationzero,

Sorry about that link...
Maybe you can google azodicarbonamide 15 year imprisonment? Also goodle Surprise ingredients in our fast food.

DO appreciate your trying to ease my mind: It's just not going to work. I'll never be convinced that what they put or allow into our food is safe.

If you didn't find that ingredient in your stuff... good for you, It has been from my experience .. I find it hard to find things without this ingredient.

Check out EVERYthing on the label... This one ingredient is just a starting point.

Please also see the previous links posted.

edit on 18-6-2011 by SeekerLou because: to add

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

Thanks for your contribution to the thread: How true!

I hope others will see the light - see what is truly happening in our food industry .

It is a struggle, and time consuming to be reading labels at the store for me now. But THIS is VERY important... we should be aware of what goes into our bodies.
edit on 18-6-2011 by SeekerLou because: spelling correction

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

I hear ya! lol...
You are very welcome.
Thanks loveguy! Love ya! Thanks for pointing that out!
-------------------------------------------------

To add: Biurea is a byproduct of azodicarbonamide.
Check out this link. Our food additives may be allowed but that doesn't mean they are safe for us!
Think about it!

naturalingredient.blogspot.com...
edit on 18-6-2011 by SeekerLou because: To add another link.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Hi SeekerLou.

Originally posted by SeekerLou
. . .TRYING to change my eating habits. . .

You do NOT have to change your eating habits, if you where not
eating very badly.
You only have to buy the sames, but organic.

I still sometimes eat "chips" and "maple sweets" and little
"on the side" goodies, BUT they ALL are BIO/ORGANIC ! !
Soooooo no crazy chemestry ! !

Blue skies.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by C-JEAN

You are so right C-Jean...Good point! Since this is all new to me, I was wondering if you could adopt me
Am sure I could learn a whoLE LOT from you!

The organic foods are much higher in price I've found. On a budget here, so it does make things a bit more straining for us. lol and if I forget my glasses when at the store, forget it....Reading those labels... phew.. Hey but they say if ya can't pronounce it, don't eat it...

Would love to grow my own garden and will try to do so next year--that is if we won't be fined for it! Have heard "they" are trying to get folk for growing even their own tomatos. Not sure how true that is but one never knows the laws that will be passed next. It wouldn't surprise me!

Thanks again C-Jean. Appreciate ya!

Tis wise to stay away from the poisons! Organic is the only way now it seems.
It's really sad we don't have any "real" food anymore: It seems we have poisonous chemicals instead!
edit on 20-6-2011 by SeekerLou because: added line

new topics

top topics

join