It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newfound Comet Will Swing By Earth in 2013

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

A new found comet discovered by a telescope designed to hunt for dangerous asteroids will make its closest pass by Earth in 2013 and should be visible to the naked eye when it draws near, astronomers say.

Newfound Comet

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by C21H30O2I

Already posted

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Not sure If this is going to effect Us. Probably not, I'll look and
read a little more, when I find more info.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
cool thx for telling me. didnt see it. MOD close this thread plz!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
reply to post by C21H30O2I

Already posted [/quote
you got a link....

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
According to JPL's Small Body Database shows that closest approach to Earth will be only 6 days before perihelion, when it'll still be more than 1 AU from us.

Still, depending on it's size it may put on a good show anyway. We'll see...

S&F

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Well, when Elenin comes and goes, the nuts will have another comet to be scared of now.

yay

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I have just integrated the orbit of this comet through to the year 2040 on my PC (using the latest orbital elements from JPL), and these are the important dates.........

Perihelion passage (closest approach to the Sun): 2013 March 11.0 @ 0.3031 AU
Perigee (closest approach to Earth): 2013 March 5.5 @ 1.094 AU

It's worth noting that the descending node of the orbit (the point where the comet dips beneath the plane of Earth's orbit) is quite close to the orbit of Jupiter. However, Jupiter is nowhere near this point when the comet gets there. The ascending node (the point where the comet comes back up through the plane of Earth's orbit) is very close to the orbit of Mercury, but again the planet will be nowhere near that point when the comet arrives.

C/2011 L4 PANSTARRS must be a considerably larger comet than C/2010 X1 Elenin. It has been detected whilst still well beyond the orbit of Jupiter, and it is expected to brighten to naked eye visibility, even though closest approach to Earth will be greater than the distance between our planet and the Sun!

edit on 18-6-2011 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Yeah, it said the closest approach to earth is about 30 million miles, *yawn*.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Check again, mate. It states "30 million miles from the SUN"

The perigee distance is actually very similar to that of C/1995 O1 Hale-Bopp, and I think we are all aware of just how impressive that comet was in the night sky. I doubt that C/2011 L4 PANSTARRS will be anywhere near as bright as Hale-Bopp, but it would be nice if it surprised everyone!
edit on 18-6-2011 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Well, when Elenin comes and goes, the nuts will have another comet to be scared of now.

yay

Pretty much. This gives the Elenin/Nibiru/2012 doomsday crowd something else to latch onto once their precious doomsday(s) come and go (again).

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

yay

Eggs-Actly! And so on and so on.

new topics

top topics

join