It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.N. council passes gay rights resolution

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
So will they also be protecting the pedophiles as well? That will be interesting to see, I doubt it. And before anyone jumps down my throat, pedophile =/= molester, or child rapist.

So a gay person is the same as a pedophile? A pedo is a mentally ill person are you saying gays are mentally ill?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Sodomy = Satan worship

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatiOpress
Sodomy = Satan worship

Care to explain? (Without the use of any crazy religious texts)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by theUNKNOWNawaits

Nothing the UN does has any credibility what so ever. They are likely to place an Iranian or Saudi in charge of the commission. Libya was a member of the human rights council of the UN - now that made perfect sense.

Unfortunately for some, there are in fact nations around the world that are governed by religous law. They are soverign nations and have the right to the form of government they choose. They should not (and will not) abide by some edict out of the UN that their social foundations need to be altered. The same is the case for a monarchy or dictatorship. You may not like it, but that is the reality. If gays in those countrys don't like it, they should leave to the extent they can and to the extent that they are unable to leave, thats unfortunate, but there is nothing the UN can do about it.

This is just another feel good, meaningless proclamation coming out of the UN.

Before folks jump on the homophobic wagon, I am am totally supportive of absolute equal treatment of homosexuals, in every facit of society. That is my belief and I'm fortunate to live in a country where those beliefs are respected and in most cases placed into practice.

In my view this has nothing to do with gay rights. It has everything to do with the total impotence and irrelevance of the UN, which should have been disbanded decades ago. The UN can't even stop genocide in small African nations, yet it has the time to focus on this feel good nonsense? Perhaps they can send in the blue helmets to enforce equal treatment for gays in countries where gays are persecuted, since they have proven themselves unable to utilize those forces for any meaningful purpose for decades, if ever.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Garfee

Oh, please, don't be tempted to open that particular can of ugly.

Obama's position on this confuses me, somewhat.

Obama, Hillary Clinton, Cheer UN Resolution

“The United States stands proudly with those nations that are standing up to intolerance, discrimination, and homophobia,” the president said in a statement. “As the United Nations begins to codify and enshrine the promise of equality for LGBT persons, the world becomes a safer, more respectful, and more humane place for all people.”

He speaks as though the US is some bastion of equal rights when we're leap years behind Canada, S. Africa, Argentina, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, and other civilized countries. When you consider most of the states in the US are ONE step away from homosexuality being illegal, it's hardly anything to be proud of, Mr. President.

Source World Map

It pisses me off that he speaks in support of equal rights, but is doing very little (as of yet) to change things in this backward and bigoted country.

DO SOMETHING OBAMA! DO MORE!

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Of course you are right. Obama received massive support from the gay community during the election and continues to receive support, although for the reasons you state it is waning.

Now folks will defend Obama under the notion of states rights and that there is little he can do beyond the bully pulpit in this regard and in some cases they are correct. What he could do however is set a standard for legal treatment of homosexuals and deny federal funding to those states. No highway money, no earmarks (which he was to eliminate anyway), no federal contracts to firms headquartered in those states. Support states rights - the states have the right to enact laws and enforce them in the manner they choose. They should simply be denied all federal monies when they choose to not meet the standard.

Were Obama willing to do that and risk the political capital and confrontation with Congress he would go a long way to solving this issue. He is of course just another politican and does not have the stones or will to do it.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamAnt

No genius, did you actually read what I said? I do not like child molesters and rapists, but not all pedophiles will harm a child... It takes a sadistic tendancy to harm a kid. People think that pedophiles are all raping kids, when it is just an orientation. If it is true gay people are born that way, and should be protected, then why not non-offending pedophiles?

And if you wanna come get some, bring it. My AR will make short work of you internet tough guy

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
I don't need proof of either, their are signs of intelligent engineering in this universe which point to god, and the same god who is up on the throne said that homosexuality is a sin. Not to be punished by us, but by him.

Is that the same god who is going to punish the fellow in your avatar for eating pork? Let's face it...one chooses that form that their innate spirituality takes. Apparently, you chose the homophobic option. Not all of do, eh?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Garfee

But you can't deny that you still have the same right to marriage, so technically you are "equal".

Just for the record I'm not against gay marriage, it just annoys me when people say they "don't have the same rights" and "aren't equal".

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

I don't need proof of either, their are signs of intelligent engineering in this universe which point to god, and the same god who is up on the throne said that homosexuality is a sin. Not to be punished by us, but by him.

Is that the same god who is going to punish the fellow in your avatar for eating pork? Let's face it...one chooses that form that their innate spirituality takes. Apparently, you chose the homophobic option. Not all of do, eh?

And he'll punish your avatar for putting on women's clothing and hanging around in bars.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

If you formulate it as having the right to have union with those who you are sexually attracted to recognized by the state, then they are not equal.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Well we all know middle easterners in some of hte more conservatively toned nations will now have more human rights violations added to a growing list of violations in their name. So all this resolution does is simply add to the reasons we should mount a crusade to remove these regimes from power. Think about it. We've already had plenty of reasons to storm these countries to establish civil rights and freedom for their people. This is just one more step down that road. It's destiny. The countries of the world cannot stay apart indefinitely. Information technology and increasing access to energy (eventually) is going to bring us all closer. So what happens in Iran or Syria or wherever will suddenly matter like it's happening in your own neighborhood. When that day comes, regimes that insist on hanging homosexuals and/or not giving women rights and/or making children work and so on (i hope you get it), will be removed by international peacekeeping forces in hte interests of justice and policing.

Furthermore, the UN over recent years passed a resolution named RtoP (Responsbility to Protect) that was ratified a few times and gives the UN justification to thwart the ambitions of nations that commit genocide, war crimes, crimes against humanity, and ethnic cleansing through military means. When you look at all of these indicators what you see is a UN that's asserting its will and influence on the world in ways we haven't seen in preceding years. This may or may not have something to do with Iraq and the UN's intent to prevent nations from unilaterally attacking others, but my gut tells me that OIF is just one reason among many others that the UN is wanting ot establish a more dominant role in military affairs across the globe.
edit on 18-6-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

reply to post by AdamAnt

No genius, did you actually read what I said? I do not like child molesters and rapists, but not all pedophiles will harm a child... It takes a sadistic tendancy to harm a kid. People think that pedophiles are all raping kids, when it is just an orientation. If it is true gay people are born that way, and should be protected, then why not non-offending pedophiles?

And if you wanna come get some, bring it. My AR will make short work of you internet tough guy

You actually make some sense in my mind. The problem happens when real images of children are used or when the private sexual exploits of the pedophile lead to him/her also exploiting real children. If we can prove that jacking off to cartoon images of little children leads to jacking off to real images of children or molesting real children then we would have grounds to ban pedophilia as a sexual orientation. The problem with pedophilia is that it cannot actually be exercised.

Conversely, if I have a fetish for leather boots and I rape them then I'm fully expressing my sexual urges. But I could not very much do that if I were a pedophile. And tha'ts hte core problem with pedophilia and I hope they can find a way to remove the genes or circumstances that lead to it. It's a dangerous sexual impulse. That's what makes it different from others.

Similarly, what if I had a sexual fetish or orientation that could only be fully expressed by killing other people? Sure, you could line up people on death row and let me kill them, but by and large, as a sexual fetish or orientation ti's unworkable. It's a road to nowhere just like pedophilia.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by Garfee

Oh, please, don't be tempted to open that particular can of ugly.

Obama's position on this confuses me, somewhat.

Obama, Hillary Clinton, Cheer UN Resolution

“The United States stands proudly with those nations that are standing up to intolerance, discrimination, and homophobia,” the president said in a statement. “As the United Nations begins to codify and enshrine the promise of equality for LGBT persons, the world becomes a safer, more respectful, and more humane place for all people.”

He speaks as though the US is some bastion of equal rights when we're leap years behind Canada, S. Africa, Argentina, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, and other civilized countries. When you consider most of the states in the US are ONE step away from homosexuality being illegal, it's hardly anything to be proud of, Mr. President.

Source World Map

It pisses me off that he speaks in support of equal rights, but is doing very little (as of yet) to change things in this backward and bigoted country.

DO SOMETHING OBAMA! DO MORE!

He's just speaking through the corner of his mouth. All politicians do it. They do that because they want to give an aura of balanced idealism that doesn't favor one over the other. Realistically, they have their own views and may disagree in private, but the last thing they will do in the limelight is show it. Some people feel it's bold and symbolic of leadership qualities, but others see it as shallow and characteristic of politics and of disowning one's own values for personal gain.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

And he'll punish your avatar for putting on women's clothing and hanging around in bars.

...but it's all in a good Christian way, eh?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

I can't imagine how must it must suck to be a pedophile... You either got to stay in the closet your whole life, or you will be thrown in jail at best, lynch mobbed at worst. I am sure gay people from around 100 years ago can relate to that.
edit on Sat, 18 Jun 2011 10:52:06 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

reply to post by AdamAnt

I read exactly what you said Genius... You may not like child molestors and rapist, but you seem to have no problem with an adult having sexual relationships with a child, whether soft sex or hard sex, its still illegal sex with a child. Just cause you give a lil boy a back massage before you sodomize him doesn't make it right.

And, No I do not "want to come get some" I'd rather not be with in 100 miles of sexual predators,
no suprise butt-secs for me... Thanks
edit on 18/6/11 by AdamAnt because: (no reason given)

Glad you changed that creepy avatar, you were just begging for the feds to come ramage through your hard drives
edit on 18/6/11 by AdamAnt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamAnt

I read exactly what you said Genius... You may not like child molestors and rapist, but you seem to have no problem with an adult having sexual relationships with a child, whether soft sex or hard sex, its still illegal sex with a child. Just cause you give a lil boy a back massage before you sodomize him doesn't make it right.

And, No I do not "want to come get some" I'd rather not be with in 100 miles of sexual predators,
no suprise butt-secs for me... Thanks

Ummm, that would be the very definition of molestation and raping don't you think? Or do you go by a different definition? Nice personal attack BTW

Glad you changed that creepy avatar, you were just begging for the feds to come ramage through your hard drives

You thought she was creepy? I thought it was cute, oh well, can't win em all I guess.
edit on Sat, 18 Jun 2011 11:29:30 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Here is a list to see how each country voted. I am proud that my Slovakia voted for the resolution along with the rest of civilized world:

States supporting the resolution: Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Chile, Cuba, Ecuador, France, Guatemala, Hungary, Japan, Mauritius, Mexico, Norway, Poland, Republic of Korea, Slovakia, Spain, Switzerland, Ukraine, Thailand, UK, USA, Uruguay

States against the resolution: Angola, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Cameroon, Djibouti, Gabon, Ghana, Jordan, Malaysia, Maldives, Mauritania, Nigeria, Pakistan, Qatar, Moldova, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Uganda.

Abstentions: Burkina Faso, China, Zambia

Co-Sponsors of the resolution: Albania, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Honduras, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Timor-Leste, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, United States of America, and Uruguay.

www.hrw.org...

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Oh wow the U.N has spoken this will change the world.
why the hell does this matter? Will iran stop killing gays? No off course not because all the U.N does is talk. All the problems in the world right now and what did they accomplish with this. That people have equal rights. wow #ing well done.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join