It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge has harsh words for Mom before sentencing her for spanking her kid

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by romanmel

Wow.. This one is also ridiculous:

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

I agree. Too often I have seen children get spanked, then that child hits another child, then gets spanked again for hitting another child. There are more constructive ways to discipline children. It takes time and effort from the parent. Too many parents don't want to take that time. Spanking is the easier solution for them, but teaches children to equate undesirable behavior with violence.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ElizaAshdene

What is a "normal" spanking? What is "normal" about hitting a person?
"

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Now that film was a take back into the past!! My son, who was only 5 then, pulled a stunt like that in the grocery store. He was throwing everything into the grocery cart and I kept trying to put it back.
He had been doing this before and I ended up with a bunch of junk in the cart that I paid for. This time I refused to do that and he ended up screaming just like that little boy in the video.
I left the cart just like that lady did with the little girl who was hitting her. I was dragging him by the hand and he was screaming bloody murder. Finally....I got near the exit and a man stopped me and took my son by the hand and said ...Is this your Mother and are you ok?? I explained to the man what happened and he let go of my son, who then took off back into the store! I ran him down and preceded to drag him out the door again. This time the man just looked as stunned as everyone in the store did.
He got his first spanking when we got home......Long overdue !
But ..he has 7 kids now under 12 years old and have just about tore their house down. Believe me, I am not exaggerating, I wish I was!!!. There is only 3 of them that I will even consider babysitting. I have one today. He is the good one. Talking to them does nothing. Their Mother even called the social services to find out if they could spank them. They said, yes, but if there are marks on them 24 hrs later, it is abuse.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by tappy

You are saying the same things my parents said about me and my generation and their parents said about them.
Surprised you are so in the thick of things you cannot step back and see that for yourself.

These beatings you all are protecting the right to render are the first step in control.

How do you think they got so far so fast?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ellieN

Now that film was a take back into the past!! My son, who was only 5 then, pulled a stunt like that in the grocery store. He was throwing everything into the grocery cart and I kept trying to put it back.
He had been doing this before and I ended up with a bunch of junk in the cart that I paid for. This time I refused to do that and he ended up screaming just like that little boy in the video.
I left the cart just like that lady did with the little girl who was hitting her. I was dragging him by the hand and he was screaming bloody murder. Finally....I got near the exit and a man stopped me and took my son by the hand and said ...Is this your Mother and are you ok?? I explained to the man what happened and he let go of my son, who then took off back into the store! I ran him down and preceded to drag him out the door again. This time the man just looked as stunned as everyone in the store did.
He got his first spanking when we got home......Long overdue !
But ..he has 7 kids now under 12 years old and have just about tore their house down. Believe me, I am not exaggerating, I wish I was!!!. There is only 3 of them that I will even consider babysitting. I have one today. He is the good one. Talking to them does nothing. Their Mother even called the social services to find out if they could spank them. They said, yes, but if there are marks on them 24 hrs later, it is abuse.

My mother was smart and never allowed us to go into the store with her.
She did not want to be seen beating the hell out of us or screaming in front of the general public.
Some kids are not ready for public places where what you break you buy. Start giving them an allowance and let them experience that one time. Oh I have to pay for it? Problem solved.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
A child should control themselves because they see other people doing it and they want to emulate them.
They should do it because they want to "behave" and to fit in with other people all doing their own things.

Any other reason for a behavior is insincere, inherently flawed and the behavior will be short lived.

There should be some reward for GOOD behavior and that reward is social inclusion, acceptance and (the perception and presumption of) a greater love and consequently a better life.

We know this ourselves. We tend to like doing what we want. We reject doing what we don't want.
Some of us even reject getting told what NOT to do once we have got used to doing it.

Like smoking.

edit on 18-6-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Just what you need another child ripped away from their mother at such a young age, in the long run the childs probably going to have an even worse life now just because the child was spanked and the grandmother complained about it, it is ridiculous that the government can do that.

I mean if they were starving your kids and then beating them fair enough they do not have the right to have children and care for them but the fact is the child got nothing more than a yark over the arse, I think if its a feud between the mother and the grandmother the child life shouldn't be ruined over something like that.

If anyone has some time to have a little read over this www.wikispooks.org... I found it to be interesting.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ellieN

Sorry, about the grandkids.

This society is going to hell in a handbasket with their "enlightened approach to parenting", IMO.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Soldier of God

All discipline should be age appropriate. Spanking shows that it's all right to vent your anger or right a wrong by hitting people. How to control angry impulses is one of the things parents should teach their children. Spanking sabotages this teaching. To spank a child too young to understand the reason for the "wack" sends confusing messages. Also, a minor "tap" on the hands of a curious toddler, can lead to a smack on the hand, then to a harder smack on the hand. The toddler continues to grab for whatever it is he wants and gets smacked harder each time. They don't understand, and the smacks get harder and harder.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

That's right. LEARN TO RESPECT AUTHORITY.

[sarcasm]
Good catch dude, 'cause authority is always right.. ALWAYS T.T
[/sarcasm]

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ZombieJesus

And we shouldn't be spanking kids. I agree with the judge.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
reply to post by tappy

You are saying the same things my parents said about me and my generation and their parents said about them.
Surprised you are so in the thick of things you cannot step back and see that for yourself.

These beatings you all are protecting the right to render are the first step in control.

How do you think they got so far so fast?

Of course there is always the view from parents that "younger generations are worse than in my day" - it's the way of the world, it has always been that way and always will be - just like as a person gets older they realise that they like the sort of music their parents liked, music they used to hate

- but despite that, I think it's painfully obvious that over recent generations, standards of discipline and morals have severely declined to the point where things have gone way too far. I'm surprised you can't see that.

Why you keep referring to discipline as "beatings" I don't know. We are talking about simple discipline of a child in danger, or an unruly child, to either prevent harm or prevent the self-centered, spoiled brats such as the ones shown on the videos posted here. I stand by my view that there is nothing wrong with that.

Some things just were better in "the olden days" - morals and respect. Would you rather live in a world where kids do what they want, get away with anything, and cause harm and danger to others; or a world where kids know right from wrong, and grow up to teach their own kids the same? I know which one I'd choose.

Obviously you and I disagree. I have enough common sense and decency and respect to accept that your view differs from mine, without trying to change your mind. I trust you have the same.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I was spanked as a child.
My children on the other hand are not spanked,
Why?
Because it doesnt work anyway....

However I am guilty of telling them they will get one almost daily....
Do they listen? Sometimes just telling them
Im gonna whop them one gets their attention
And attention only.

I love using positive reinforcement with star stickers
And giving them check marks on the board for bad behavior.
They will literally bend over backwards to avoid getting a bad check mark.....
And the end of the month, they get something special for all their hard work and stars!

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by romanmel
reply to post by ellieN

Sorry, about the grandkids.

This society is going to hell in a handbasket with their "enlightened approach to parenting", IMO.

And it is the older methods that have brought us to where we ARE today so maybe it is time for a change in thinking.

This thread isn't about beating kids anyway. It is a political thread of the type of threads we will see more of the closer we get to 2012. This is a small chipping away and a not so subtle ploy to remove Democrats from the leadership office. That was the goal after all. Nobody is reading or doing any studies on this except maybe that judge.

Everyone knows when you break it down...republicans whip their children and the democrats don't.

Gol durned hippy FREAKS are gonna ruin this world with their free love and drugs....
Well, we'll keep the drugs.... but the rest of them and their ways has got to go!

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Snippy23

I am adamantly opposed to spanking and for reasons I posted on this topic in this forum. I want to know from where do these "spanking" parents and grandparents get their "right" or their "authority" to hit their children? Where is it stated this is ok to do? From the "Bible" perhaps? Well, the word "rod" in the Bible means different things at different times. While a "rod" could be used for hitting, it was more frequently used for guiding the wandering sheep. "Your rod and your staff, they comfort me." Psalm 23:4. They "comfort" me, they aren't hurting me. The rod in that verse is used to describe guidance and protection. "Fathers, provoke not your children to anger"....spanking provokes anger. I could go on, I know you know what I am talking about.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TheUniverse

Would you let someone slap you? Is that ok? Why or why not? Is it just the size difference? It's ok to hit a little person?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Troofseeker

Also ignoring the very real possibility of emotional pain. Everyone seems to overlook that part.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by laiguana

AMEN!!

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

I have dealt with kids, two of my own. Never spanked them. They are both professionals, one a doctor, the other an electrician.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join