It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh No! Here comes the next Elenin/Nibiru/Planet X: New Comet could be a stunner (or not)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
A newly discovered conet will soon find its place in hysterics and conspiracies as Elenin fades into memory. This one gets just as close to the sun, but won't get here until 2013:

A newly discovered comet from the farthest reaches of the solar system could become a sky spectacle in 2013, astronomers say. No guarantees, though.

Comet C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) was detected on the night of June 5-6 using the Pan-STARRS 1 telescope in Hawaii. The next night, astronomers checked it out using the Canada-France-Hawaii Telescope and confirmed that it was indeed a comet.

cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com...

Although still far out beyond Jupiter's orbit, its origins make it a prime candidate for the brown dwarf, Planet X, et c. that the fearful and astronomically ignorant will jump on to "explain" it.
Even so, it may prove spectacular precisely becaise of its remote origin.

First, the comet is coming in fresh from an unspoiled cosmic frontier, trillions of miles away — and is thus likely to be composed of the fluffy stuff from which the solar system was made. That's a golden opportunity for astronomers who are trying to piece together the grand saga of planetary formation.

Second, it could be a heck of a show.

Right now the comet is 700 million miles (1.2 billion kilometers) from the sun, well beyond the orbit of Jupiter. Its brightness is magnitude 19, which means it can be spotted only with telescopes equipped with sensitive electronic detectors. But observers expect that the comet will be visible to the naked eye when it comes closest to the sun, around March 2013. C/2011 L4 could put on a nightly show in western skies just after sun set. Some even say it has the potential to become "the brightest comet of the decade."

As one might expect, one of those astronomers following this comet inward to its confrontation with the sun, also foresees its confrontation with the hysterical responses as well.

You'll probably be hearing more doomsday talk about Planet X, Nibiru, Nemesis and other supposed denizens of the Oort Cloud due to the hype over 2012. Who knows? Maybe Comet C/2011 L4 will provide some with an excuse to whip up the doomsday talk again. But don't be misled — and whatever you do, DON'T PANIC.

cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com...

So, after Elenin reveals itself for the entirely normal, perhaps unremarkable, object it truly is, how long will it take for "PANSTARRS" to assume itrs place?

jw

edit on 17-6-2011 by jdub297 because: sp

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Good to know what the next doomsday scenario will be after this one passes. I remember back when it was y2k that was gonna end the world

I wonder who will be the first to post that there's a spaceship hidden in it that's coming to meet with the leaders of the NWO to make plans to take away our guns and then leave chemtrails as it leaves back out into space.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

parallel thread. There is already a thread about this comet in the 2012 doomsday thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
wondering if this means that people are going to freak out about this one too. my bet is that people say the mayans were off by a year

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Visionaryium
wondering if this means that people are going to freak out about this one too. my bet is that people say the mayans were off by a year

If the May "doomsday" prediction can be adjusted to September, I guess the Mayan's can be "adjusted" to March of '13.

When that and Elenin have passed, what will they have left?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
reply to post by jdub297

parallel thread. There is already a thread about this comet in the 2012 doomsday thread

Does this mean it's already started?

Maybe the mods will create a "killer comet" forum to accomodate the greater accuracy of today's telescopes combined with the increasing failure of our education systems to instill even a minor understanding of astronomy.

jw

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I don't know anything about this new comet yet, other than it has been spotted. However, comets are almost never in the plane of the ecliptic. Elenin IS. And a comet has NEVER passed directly between the Earth and the Sun. Elenin WILL. Remember, the tail always points directly away from the Sun. The Earth will be bathed in the blowtorch of the comet's tail.

Call me crazy, but I plan on being in the middle of the ocean on Sept 27, thousands of miles from any land. Might save me, might not. Call me crazy, everyone does.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Good news.
Fingers crossed this one will put on a good show. So far the signs are good for a naked eye comet.
Still at mag 19 though at the moment.
edit on 17-6-2011 by pazcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297

Originally posted by Visionaryium

If the May "doomsday" prediction can be adjusted to September, I guess the Mayan's can be "adjusted" to March of '13.

When that and Elenin have passed, what will they have left?

Saying there could be another Elenin would be like saying there would be another Elvis.

Ain't ever going to happen.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Thanx for the heads-up. I'm gonna get it overwith now if you don't mind.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/933c5b277b77.gif[/atsimg]

edit on 17-6-2011 by Tasty Canadian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

And a comet has NEVER passed directly between the Earth and the Sun. Elenin WILL. Remember, the tail always points directly away from the Sun. The Earth will be bathed in the blowtorch of the comet's tail.

2 problems none of the Elenin doomsayers never seem to accept:

it will be 22 million miles away at its closest path

its tail is made of gas, it is not dangerous; we pass through the remnants of comet tails frequently in our orbit.

Some of our best meteor showers are the long-lasting remnant of comets long since passed.

It is not by any means "a blowtorch."

An informative blog I found refers to some of the Elenin, Nibiru, Planet X "predictions" as among the "doomiest!"
Learning Curve on the Ecliptic

I'm adopting it.

jw

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmamaknows

Saying there could be another Elenin would be like saying there would be another Elvis.

Elvis is Elenin!

"Elvis is not dead; he just went home."
K

jw

new topics

top topics

join