It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sarah Palin's Emails Written At 8th Grade Level -- Better Than Some CEOs

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Sarah -- the smartest kid in the class? You betcha!

The huge cache of Sarah Palin's emails released Friday offered not only a chance to see what she was writing about during her uncompleted term as Alaska's governor, but also an opportunity to see how well she writes.

AOL Weird News brought samples to two writing analysts who independently evaluated 24,000 pages of the former governor's emails. They came back in agreement that Palin composed her messages at an eighth-grade level, an excellent score for a chief executive, they said.

"I'm a centrist Democrat, and would have loved to support my hunch that Ms. Palin is illiterate," said 2tor Chief Executive Officer John Katzman.

"However, the emails say something else. Ms. Palin writes emails on her Blackberry at a grade level of 8.5.

"If she were a student and showing me her work, I'd say 'It's fine, clear writing,'" he said, admitting that emails he wrote scored lower than Palin's on the widely used Flesch-Kincaid readability test.

"She came in as a solid communicator," said Paul J.J. Payack, president of the Global Language Monitor. The emails registered as an 8.2 on his version of the test. "That's typical for a corporate executive."

An example of Palin's strongest writing came on Jul. 17, 2007 in an email to Lieutenant Governor Sean Parnell about the controversial Gravina Island Bridge, infamously called the "Bridge to Nowhere."

"We cant afford it, the Feds won't pay for it, the general populace isn't placing it as a high priority … can you diplomatically express that?! Of course we want infrastructure -- and this is NOT a "bridge to nowhere" (that is so offensive), but as it stands today with the highest-cost bridge design selected by the Ketchikan community, we need to find a lower-cost alternative [if] a bridge will be built."

Story continues below

"She's very concise. She gives clear orders. Her sentences and punctuations are logical," Payack said. "She has much more of a disciplined mind than she's given credit for."

Palin

And then there's this from The Robbins Report:

A study by Smart Politics on the readability ratings of recent State of the Union addresses also showed Ms. Palin in good company. President George H.W. Bush's average SOTU score was 8.6. Bill Clinton came in at 9.5. Ronald Reagan, who like Ms. Palin was heavily criticized by liberals and regarded as a doddering old fool, logged an impressive 10.3 rating. And George W. Bush, who earned even more left-wing contempt than Mr. Reagan, if that's possible, edged the Great Communicator with a10.4 ranking.

Then there is President Obama, heralded as the smartest president and the most gifted orator in living memory, but whose 2008 "Yes we can!" victory speech came in at a comparatively anemic Flesch-Kincaid rating of 7.4. Some numbers just speak for themselves.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

Very interesting report..

I always thought Clinton was a far better speaker than Obama (I can't listen to the guy for 5 mins without going insane over his inability to create a complete sentence) but yet so many say Obama is the best.

But now it's only fair to judge the judge:

www.adamsherk.com...

AOL news is middle of the road average (about 8th grade level)

Bloomberg has the most advanced reading content..

And NPR, with USA today is apparently for the mentally challenged.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I honestly don't understand why people hate Palin in the first place. I'm glad I voted for her and McCain in 2008 - what was she always saying that people made fun of her for? "Drill, drill, drill!"

We know it - she knows it - there's trillions of barrels underneath US soil (inb4 citation needed) and she wanted to drill into it as soon as possible.

Why aren't we?

"Oh it would take too long to drill into it."

If we had started construction and plans when it was first requested, we'd have the oil by now, probably so abundant that we'd only be paying cents for it.

But no. Obama is change we needed.

Enjoy your $6 gas, America.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte

I honestly don't understand why people hate Palin in the first place.

I don't understand the feverish support she gets from some. She's 8th Grade equivalent? That's hardly news or a ringing endorsement. My youngest(15) can communicate better than that. Is she considered for the highest office in the west(maybe world)?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
same old leftist tune.

they get hung up on syntax and grammar and not the content of what she said.

anything to marginalize people they dont agree with attack and marginalize right out of saul alinksys playbook.

i find it hilarious when people attack palins intelligence all i have to say is two words: nancy "we have to pass the bill before we know whats in it" pelosi.

for crying outloud the same old leftist" i'm smarter than you" crap when they arent.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Interesting. This partially confirms what I've always thought: She never was an idiot anymore than a typical politician.
edit on 17-6-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
24,0000+ e-mails and all they can find to criticize is her grammar. ROFLMFAO!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Ever analyze the writing level of some of the posts around here??
I'm no genius but wow. Misspelling in thread titles. Even ATS has a marginal spell checking feature. Then there are the occasional one page paragraphs that I can't even read.

Enough said. Good for Palin's achievement. Most execs have things written for them by their admin. assts. and subordinates anyway and when they do go rogue with a message or letter without any help it's usually a disaster.

The rest of the nation is caught up in some new bizarre Texting dialect and can barely even hold a pen long enough to sign their name due to a chronic case of texting claw and carpal tunnel. Grammar and structure are being thrown out the window.
edit on 17-6-2011 by jibeho because: Just had a GD typo in a thread about writing

edit on 17-6-2011 by jibeho because: ditto

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

i find it hilarious when people attack palins intelligence all i have to say is two words: nancy "we have to pass the bill before we know whats in it" pelosi.

for crying outloud the same old leftist" i'm smarter than you" crap when they arent.

And to think..she was 2 heartbeats away from the top seat. I shudder when I think of that.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

And to think..she was 2 heartbeats away from the top seat. I shudder when I think of that.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
same old leftist tune.

they get hung up on syntax and grammar and not the content of what she said.

anything to marginalize people they dont agree with attack and marginalize right out of saul alinksys playbook.

Spot on. The leftists/liberals/progressives speak in clever jargon and catch phrases and esoteric funk. Its a jargon sandwich with nothing in the middle. No substance!!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I don't think how someone writes their email has anything to do with how intelligent they are or what reading level they are actually at. I had a twelfth grade reading level as early as 7th grade and yet you'll catch me using u instead of you and plenty of lulz in my email. To be fair I'm not a governor or a CEO, maybe for those sorts of people there is a stronger correlation since they send more professionally minded emails.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I don't understand the feverish support she gets from some. She's 8th Grade equivalent? That's hardly news or a ringing endorsement. My youngest(15) can communicate better than that. Is she considered for the highest office in the west(maybe world)?

Yeah, yeah, so can all of our kids, I'm sure. Why can't you accept the findings for what they are - a measure of how well average CEO's and pol's score, and the comparisons against POTUS's?

Oh - that's because she scored higher than Obama, isn't it? I shoulda known.:shk:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

reply to post by jibeho

i guess they have forgotten or never knew that we all owe our freedom and independence to a bunch of people who could neither read nor write and just signed and X on the dotted line.

that is how far we have fallen as a people in this country and its quite a shame.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
Yeah, yeah, so can all of our kids, I'm sure. Why can't you accept the findings for what they are - a measure of how well average CEO's and pol's score, and the comparisons against POTUS's?

Oh - that's because she scored higher than Obama, isn't it? I shoulda known.:shk:

You fervent partisanship is making you seem a fool. I've been saying for years that Romney is the man for the job. He's much more articulate and qualified than Barbie. Go ahead, nominate Palin. That will be the death knell of the GOP. Don't say I didn't warn you.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

You fervent partisanship is making you seem a fool. I've been saying for years that Romney is the man for the job. He's much more articulate and qualified than Barbie. Go ahead, nominate Palin. That will be the death knell of the GOP. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Guess what? There are people, like myself, who will defend someone that they see being maliciously attacked from all quarters, just because they don't like cowards who hit and run. I don't have to agree with the underdog, I just want them to be left alone to keep whatever dignity we should all be afforded.

People like you, however, will attack the Palins of the world because you are insecure and you feel threatened because, despite all of your puerile attacks, you have failed to break her. I mean, you libs actually attacked her Downs Syndrome baby. And people should take you seriously? Ptooey! Disgusting.
edit on 17-6-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I think this post is misleading. It sounds like they are saying Sarah writes like she was in the 8th grade. When in fact , according to their grading scale, the Flesch-Kincaid readability test, she recieved between an 8.2 or 8.5 rating .

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Um, NO.

Originally posted by mishigas
Guess what? There are people, like myself, who will defend someone that they see being maliciously attacked from all quarters, just because they don't like cowards who hit and run.

Really? Defend Obama then. He's getting slammed a lot. Deservedly so. Don't BS us though.

People like you, however, will attack the Palins of the world because you are insecure and you feel threatened because, despite all of your puerile attacks, you have failed to break her. I mean, you libs actually attacked her Downs Syndrome baby. And people should take you seriously. Ptooey! Disgusting.

Me insecure?
Go for it, it's all you've got. I'm NOT a liberal, I'm a realist. Remember? What Conservatives used to be before they got so desperate that they will cling to the Titanic(Palin) as they go down? I never said anything about any DS baby. Pack it up mate. That story is old and worn. Keep your indignation, it's not playing. "Disgusting"? Yes, I'd call it that.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by pigwithoutawig

I think this post is misleading. It sounds like they are saying Sarah writes like she was in the 8th grade. When in fact , according to their grading scale, the Flesch-Kincaid readability test, she recieved between an 8.2 or 8.5 rating .

I think you're right. I just copied the exact title from the source.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
The e-mails and the act of testing their reading level wasn't meant to be a "how intelligent is she" test. I think they were just interesting in seeing a politicians quick-writing (emails mostly sent from a blackberry........) and how their minds formulate their thoughts. Especially since e-mails, especially informal ones, tend to show character, and are typically written in the same fashion that one talks.

Palin does get attacked pretty hard from all sides .. but honestly it's not over how intelligent she is, it's how intelligent she portraits herself. She inserts her foot into her mouth at every chance she gets, making stupid comments and nonsensical ranting sentences that haven't an ounce of sense. Just like Bush who was actually very intelligent, more often than not said things so stupid and off the wall that it was easy to insult is portrayal of lack of intelligence.

Media does play a big role in how we view politicians. The Media as a whole descended on Palin like rabid dogs in the last election, while Obama is touted as being intelligent even though he's really a horrible, horrible orator.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join