It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any way to filter/exclude ATS threads by keyword? ( I'm not referring to search, but the new topics

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
It would be amazing if there were some sort of blacklist feature that only affected the "new topics" or perhaps even the "top topics" section where individual members could put in keywords that if they appear would simply not show up..

This can be moved if it's in the wrong spot, I didn't find a suggestion forum.. and if there is a feature like this I haven't run across it .. but a perfect example would be my black list which would contain:

Elenin
Chemtrail
Reptillian

I'm fully capable of ignoring such topics but it would be great if they didn't consume real estate in my personal listing and were replaced instead with other topics since I'm aware there's a limited number of items that show up in those lists.
edit on 17-6-2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-6-2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
If you put quotation marks before and after your search term I believe it searches only for that exact phrase, narrowing down your search results.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

I'm not referring to search ( I put not search in the subject even
) .. I'm referring to the new topics button at the top of the page .. I'd love to have a filter for that screen since I'm there all the time.. I like to see new things come in but there's certain topics I'd like to not appear that take up real estate.. just would be nice to have a list of keywords I could exclude.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

ATS uses google search.

so for example lets say you wanted to search for the word foo. But wanted to exclude the word bar.
Your search query would be.

foo -bar

or if you wanted to search for pages with not just foo but also bar you would do the following.

foo +bar

Google guide has some of this info.
www.googleguide.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Again, I'm not referring to the search system ..

I said "not search" in the thread title but i just revised the title to be more clear

I'm aware of how to use the search system to great effect.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Yeah, there's quite a few topics that pop up during most of my searches that are really just troll threads. Makes me wish for built in grep functionality.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by j35us

Starred for grep ..

Yeah I'm a veteran linux admin and 99% of my time now is spent doing PHP and MySQL work ( and custom Joomla work ) so I know exactly how I'd implement the filtering system, it just would be nice if it actually existed.. and I don't think it does.. I sure can't find it

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Subscribe to what ever section of the site you like as an rss feed then filter the actual rss feed and your done. It will only show the rss feeds that have the keywords you want and disregards the rest.

Here one of the many rss fed scrappers i use

www.feedrinse.com...
edit on 17-6-2011 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I do freelance "security auditing" so I know my way around databases/scripting. Not quite as proficient with joomla, picked up a guide a couple months back but haven't had time to really work on it. Depending on server configuration you could allow user created scripts without making the site too vulnerable but I think it would be a little too much work to implement. I'm guessing you have something like an advanced search feature in mind where you can list keywords to avoid and store it in profile settings?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by j35us

Like i said earlier on, since the site supplies rss feeds, you filter the rss feeds and not the other way around. I do this for a large number of rss fed sites, by a large number i am talking about over 40 current web sites from around the world.

www.feedrinse.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
How about is there a way to make search turn up results with the newest first?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins

Subscribe to what ever section of the site you like as an rss feed then filter the actual rss feed and your done. It will only show the rss feeds that have the keywords you want and disregards the rest.

www.feedrinse.com...

That's a fair workaround but it has two problems ..

1. It's a white list system not a black list, I only want to exclude a few things and see everything else
2. It does take me off of the ATS site which is more just a minor annoyance, but not bad..

That would certainly allow me to apply some kind of filter, but I'd rather have a black list than a white list..

I think it would be a very useful feature if there's any mods reading this .. anyone agree?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by j35us

I do freelance "security auditing" so I know my way around databases/scripting. Not quite as proficient with joomla, picked up a guide a couple months back but haven't had time to really work on it. Depending on server configuration you could allow user created scripts without making the site too vulnerable but I think it would be a little too much work to implement. I'm guessing you have something like an advanced search feature in mind where you can list keywords to avoid and store it in profile settings?

Ah yeah I used to be on a "tiger team" where we would do security audits by attempting hacks.. it was all hush hush, we told our clients not to warn their ISP's or anything to that effect.. it was nothing that would bring the servers down but we wanted accuracy.. warning the ISP would not really allow for accurate tests.. We event went so far as to try social engineering to attempt to gain unauthorized access to their accounts.. see if the ISP's would turn over information without verification.. I miss those days.

Anyway, no I am not referring to search though I'm sure that could be implemented.. I make use of the new topics link .. and the new topics firehose .. it lists all the newest topics in columns.. I'd like to have a section in my profile where I could add thread topics to a black list.. if it contains this word or that word, exclude it from the list at the sql query level for me.. every user could have a custom exclude list.. then I could remove Chemtrail threads for example

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Originally posted by cerebralassassins

www.feedrinse.com...

That's a fair workaround but it has two problems ..

1. It's a white list system not a black list, I only want to exclude a few things and see everything else
2. It does take me off of the ATS site which is more just a minor annoyance, but not bad..

That would certainly allow me to apply some kind of filter, but I'd rather have a black list than a white list..

I think it would be a very useful feature if there's any mods reading this .. anyone agree?

To have such a feature would require server side scripting or site wise, so i am not sure if such an option exists on the site wise admin panel of ats, i guess only the owners could answer such a question or those who maintain the functionality of the site on the back end of ats.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

Well yes it would have to be server side.. I could write a greasemonkey script to do it but it'd be better server side

new topics

top topics

join