It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Love Is Not Love Unless It Is Acted Upon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I notice people don't smile much anymore where I live. Once upon a time this was a friendly little city where greetings from strangers were the norm rather than the exception they have become. You could count on a pleasantry rather than a scowl and people seemed to care at least a little about what happened to each other. Today people regard each other suspiciously if at all. And I don't blame them.

We are at the mercy of madmen. And so far the promises of the 'new age' are unfulfilled despite all the prayer and meditation for world peace. We are deeper in our own mess than ever. Don't get me wrong as I believe prayer and meditation are both helpful and healthy. They quiet the mind, contribute to our physical well-being and, I believe, generally make us better human beings. But they don't solve the worlds problems. At least not in as timely a fashion as would seem beneficial.

Maybe I've just lost hope for us, the bipedal animals so capable of both beauty and atrocity, mired in the sludge of our contempt not only for each other but for ourselves. Grotesque and sad, I don't even weep anymore. My tears are wasted, I believe. When we grease the wheels of progress with our own blood, my tears would seem to contribute to that movement and I'd damn myself to do so.

So I live and love imperfectly, every day. That's all I know. I smile and laugh and make the best out of what I've been given rather than argue over what I don't have. Does it make a difference? Yes, I believe it does to those I touch with it, just as my derision equally wounds those I choose to cut. And I begin with myself. How can I express love to anyone or anything more than I can express it to myself? I am the center of my own universe as are we all. But the point is I don't just think loving thoughts and attempt to project them outward, I genuinely project them outward by acting on them. Doesn't that make more sense?

For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
James 2:26

Namaste,
Traveler in the Dark

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
It really is a shame, same thing has happened to my town!
It used to be so friendly and you could chat to almost anyone on the street. Now its overrun with chavvy little kids who run around beating up, stabbing and robbing each other. Its getting to the point where normal people get bullied and victimised by these little twats on a regular basis. Makes me sick.

I blame the media mostly for this breakdown in society.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TravelerintheDark

Sometimes you don't act, because of love...

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Ah, but if you say "I love you" and don't act accordingly, is it still love?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep

That's not my point, I have acted in many ways that at face value someone would say that I'd never do such a thing if I loved the person it was aimed at, love is complex...

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   

I can agree with that, but not taking action (like not bailing your kid out of jail) is still taking action in the name of love.
edit on 17-6-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I can agree with that, but not taking action (like not bailing your kid out of jail) is still taking action in the name of love.

Exactly my point

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I would have loved to experience a time where people smiled at each other where I live...

It's never happened.

It could be because I live in the snooty suburbs of Boston where everyone is so well-off that they don't think manners apply to them anymore.

I've even been glared at for holding a door open for someone. Never mind all the times I hold doors open for people or yield and let them walk ahead of me, and I don't get acknowledged in the least bit. No courteous "thank you" or even a smile.

Of course, in my case, it could have something to do with my appearance. Having tons of piercings and tattoos makes these sheltered middle aged people wary of me. If anything, I enjoy the irony. I might look vicious (when I'm not smiling... my avatar doesn't portray how mean I apparently look when I'm not smiling), but I know that I'm probably more morally sound than most of the people walking around glaring at me as if I'm trouble.
I think that might be part of why I majored in Catholic theology in college... I always got the most judgmental glares in church from those who are supposed to be accepting of everyone. And now, I know more about their beliefs than they do.

That's one thing that frustrates me endlessly. I know you're talking about society in general, but I'm gonna narrow it down to church-goers. I've found that those who say they are religious and who act pious, are usually the most unkind and judgmental people I've ever come across. Which is directly contrary to the way they are supposed to act (if they had any background in theology, or hell, if they ever actually read the bible (moreso the NT), they'd know that).

I dunno... all I can do as an individual is to be as nice as I can to all the people who cross my path. If only everyone else felt the same, then as a society, we'd be set!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron

Exactly my point

Groovy.
Now, my point is actually one of the most annoying pet peeves of mine.. When someone *says* "I love you" like it's gospel, only to prove opposite.

Example:

A mother says "I love my kids so much they are the most important thing ever!" Yet allows an abusive, drug induced, unemployed, rapist step-dad to remain in her life, and her kids lives forever and ever.

That aint my definition of "love".

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Groovy.
Now, my point is actually one of the most annoying pet peeves of mine.. When someone *says* "I love you" like it's gospel, only to prove opposite.

Example:

A mother says "I love my kids so much they are the most important thing ever!" Yet allows an abusive, drug induced, unemployed, rapist step-dad to remain in her life, and her kids lives forever and ever.

I wouldn't get me started on that topic...

Don't in disagree all fairness, I agree, but you need to remember some people don't think correctly at times in their life.
edit on 17/6/11 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

True, I actually use that example because I was put in that exact scenario. It started 22 years ago, and although I've long moved on and out, that person still continues. At a certain point, the excuses start to become ridiculous.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

True, I actually use that example because I was put in that exact scenario. It started 22 years ago, and although I've long moved on and out, that person still continues. At a certain point, the excuses start to become ridiculous.

I've been in a similar situation to be honest, we'll be okay though, makes you stronger in the end.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Indeed it does.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Very well. But is it love to not say "I love you" and act accordingly? Pardoxically, it just might be.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TrypToNonymous

I believe it is! That is also why I agree with, and S&F'ed this thread. Actions (or in some cases in-action, ie letting someone stay in jail for their own good) speak much louder than words. It's better to act out of real love rather than *say* "I love you" with no substance to back it up with.

Some people think saying "I love you" routinely is some universal requirement in life (to their spouses/kids etc), yet they completely overlook the actual act (or again, in-action
) of love those words require.

edit on 18-6-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

We tend to look on the dark side, I mean really if you look in to history things were much worse than today. That doesn’t mean to say there perfect, but I do see an improvement in many levels of life. Of course, certain pleasantries have disappeared but we have some other replacements, like showers, toilets, beds and moments of peace. This before was rarely attainable, love has many forms so just try and connect to the available ones whilst we can.
Best wishes

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Love has no meaning without context. Its just another word we use to express something we feel inside, which may or may not be real, or which may or may not be a chemical reaction depending on what you believe, or which may or may not be an experience of god the father. Who knows what love really is, my theory is, non of us have felt it for real yet to truly be able to not describe it within the limitations of words. I feel like the real experience would render you speachless.

According to christians, jesus was the last person to truly feel love. But thats just a story in a book we don't believe anyway. Or according to bhuddist, bhudda was the last person to truly feel love. And so on and so forth.
edit on 18-6-2011 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Hey, it only takes one person to start...Jesus Christ, dont get me started!! I mean Jesus Christ tried to help people, He gave them fish and wine, even tho all they asked for was a nice Roast Pork with baked Potatoes and a keg of beer.... Jeeesh. So the Fables ,..I mean the truthful eye-witness accounts say.

And he told them to throw stones at witches and prostitutes (but not Mary Mag) etc etc. All with a smile on his face.

Why not be the first to smile in your town. Smile at someone, make eye contact and say "Good Morning" or good something, and that should get a response. Hopefully positive.
So to those people who say no one smiles, do this exercise tomorrow, and let us all know the outcome.
And if you'er in Hospital, dont blame me........ Just kidding......

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I agree without proof of love the word is meaningless.. even poisonous. There's alot of promise in it so it's a long way to fall when you find out it's bs.

posted on Jun, 19 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Sometimes non-action is action. And I agree sometimes that is the only action to be responsibly taken. But allowing karma to be karma isn't what I mean, rather I was speaking about the impotence of words. And that while the earth might need our love, our neighbors certainly do.

edit on 19/6/11 by TravelerintheDark because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join