It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vermont shutting down nuclear powerplant, feds siding with company trying to keep it open

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
And the designs are the SAME as Fukushima. The NRC are shills for the nuclear industry, despite their ``official duty``, which is supposed to keep nuclear energy safe and ain't supposed to be political.

Sanders to NRC: Stay Out of Vt. Yankee Fight
Vermont chose last year to close it's nuclear power plants.

"In my view, the federal government should not intervene in the lawsuit that Entergy has filed against the state of Vermont. Federal law is very clear that states have the authority to reject nuclear power for economic reasons and that is what the Vermont state Senate did last year by a strong 26-to-4 bipartisan vote," the senator added.

And a few months after Vermont said they wanted to close the plant, the feds extended the plant license for another 20 years.

In a separate regulatory proceeding in Washington, the NRC earlier this year granted a 20-year extension from the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

Doesn't matter that the plant design is flawed (the same as Fukushima)...

Same design as Fukushima :

He also noted that Vermont Yankee is one of 23 plants in the United States with the same design as the Fukushima nuclear plant in Japan.

Of course the company that owns the nuclear power plants is suing Vermont to keep it open...

Vermont wants to shut down the reactor after its 40-year license expires next March. Entergy has sued the state in a bid to keep the reactor running.

And the NRC is backing them and is pressuring the DOJ to support the company against Vermont.

"If the state of Vermont chooses energy efficiency and sustainable energy for its future, instead of an aging and trouble-ridden nuclear power plant, it is not the place of the NRC to prevent us from doing that. The NRC's mandate is very clear. Its concerns begin and end with safety. It is not supposed to be the arbiter of political or legal disputes between a $14 billion dollar energy company and the people of Vermont."

The NRC ``neutrality``...

NRC Chairman Gregory Jaczko previously said the agency would remain neutral in the legal battle. He declined to discuss the deliberations, but under questioning by Sanders Jaczko acknowledged that Entergy officials had met with NRC staff.

Corruption... not to mention the freaking feds trying to go against the will of the population.

Sanders kicks butts. He really cares about his constituents. I hate the NRC wimps so much. What a bunch of scum. ANSWER THE DAMN QUESTION!! HOW DID YOU VOTE?

If the feds side with the corporation... and they win... Vermont needs to resist...
edit on 17-6-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
This is excellent news and the first I've heard of a state demanding the closure of a nuclear power plant in the US. Thanks so much for posting.

With all the nuke plants on the Mississippi River in danger right now, this is the kind of legal, organized resistance that we need to defeat the arrogant dictatorship of the Federal Government!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by antoinemarionette
This is excellent news and the first I've heard of a state demanding the closure of a nuclear power plant in the US. Thanks so much for posting.

The sad thing is... Vermont is the ONLY STATE that can decide to re-approve or not a license for the nuclear reactor in their state.

For some reason, all the other states cannot... the FEDS decide...

So... good luck for the other states to try to take back that power from the feds.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
It doesn't matter what the Feds think anymore.

If we want to shut something down, get out the concrete trucks and lets seal it up.

Who cares what the licence says? It's all BS, their paperwork has no legitimacy or authority anymore...

Stop listening to the FEDS and just shut the thing down by hand if you have to.

Or let it sit there until it melts down and the US is screwed like Japan is with huge uninhabitable zones...

Either or.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Sanders rocks! S&F.

peace

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Good business for Quebec....I see billions in hydro crossing the boarder.....

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fox Molder
Good business for Quebec....I see billions in hydro crossing the boarder.....

Yep. Bring it on! We need more money.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I like the cut of Mr. Sanders's jib. I plan to move my family to Vermont but the Yankee nuclear plant has scared me off since finding out it has the same design as Fukushima. My question to the op is...where does it say that Vermont is the only state that can refuse to renew nuclear power contracts?

Gotta love the Green Mountain state!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by BishopNGreen
My question to the op is...where does it say that Vermont is the only state that can refuse to renew nuclear power contracts?

Well Sanders says it in the video. I don't know if it's true or not... but Sanders rarely makes stuff up.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
i do advocate state rights and if they states want the nuke plant closed down who are they to tell them otherwise.

wondering if theres more here than meets the eye.

is there a replacement energy source? and just how far does that powergrid go?

the company is looking at a substantial loss in revenue and infrastructure but who cares i guess thats where all the pay offs are coming in.

he government get the hell out of vermonts way it aint your business.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Thank you, kind sir. I will rewatch the video and do a little of my own research. I wish more states were as conscientious as Mr. Sanders's great state.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
If Texas can't even get rid of the TSA from their state how in the blue hell can a state close a nuclear power plant?? If TPTB want this open, it will stay open. This planet is a joke, it's run by complete assholes who think money is the sole reason for being here... EFF THEM WITH A CAPITAL EFF

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Agreed on wondering about their ideas for a replacement source of energy.

altho ANYTHING is better than nuclear.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Once again, we should try to remember that the Union is supposed to be the United STATES of America, not united by the FEDS. I cannot believe the "feds" would allow for the State of Vermont/taxpayers to keep open a run-down nuclear powerplant with the potential for safety issues.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
The reactor is at the end of its service life. To keep running after that is just asking to trouble.

new topics

top topics

join