It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Social Vibrations

page: 1
5

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Hello all,

I suppose this is a metaphysical question although it could probably be defined as a psychological one as well, but considering the two subjects go hand in hand I've decided this is the best area to place this thread.

For anyone interested, I haven't wrote a thread in a fair while now and it helps to keep my out of trouble
, so here are my thoughts;

Most people discriminate and have no control over the automatic assumptions they make on a daily basis, to be more specific I think I'd be wrong in saying that no one has ever decided that they didn't like someone based purely on how they look or a "bad feeling" about said individual.

I'd like to think that I'm a relatively intelligent individual and that, in the majority of cases, I'd always give someone a chance to leave their imprint on myself be that psychologically, mentally, emotionally or physically (hopefully in a good way
)

Without blowing my own trumpet, I'd quite happily say I have no guilt in making the statement that I seem to have an uncanny knack of figuring people out i.e. how they feel, why they feel what their feeling and even to some extent what/how they feel about myself.

I guess the question I'm asking, and as such the purpose of this thread, is how do others feel about the subject?

Do you feel you can judge a person without resorting to stereotypical assumptions on how they talk or act? Or do "Social Vibrations" sway your opinion and lead you to judge a book by it's cover?

I've seen and met people in my life who I would at first glance not even dream of speaking too, but after taking the chance have been pleasantly surprised and even inspired. On the other hand I've also met and spoken to people who have left me surprisingly disappointed, basically I'd like to get a feel on the majority opinion of whether you can pick up clues about people without interacting or whether you simply do not know until you get to know that person?

It's all yours

edit on 17/6/11 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)




posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron
 


by personal hygene, body language, facial expressions, the way they dress? ok, your a human.



posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron
 


From my past experiences with gang members, I've gained the ability to spot potential troublemakers by the thuggish way they carry themselves, or if they are acting shifty, always looking around yet trying to be inconspicuous. I have no doubts that there are ways to "judge a book by its cover", however focus less on what the person looks like and more on how they act. From someones clothes, hygiene, and other physical traits I can only guess at the circumstances that might cause them to look that way. You really can't tell a thing about a person if you only look at the color of their skin or the quality of their clothes.



posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron
 


There are people who have more collected predjudices than others that they are victim to, depending upon many factors of their past. I have observed that often the people who claim to be very good at judging others on sight quickly often are very active in "bringing out" exactly what they expect from that person, through dynamics like Limbic Resonance, and Reciprocal Determination.

If someone has been fortunate enough to grow in various environments and cultures, and learned to be tuned into more basic body language and human behaviorism that ALL humans share, rather than the cultural signs and signals, they seem (to me) to have a more accurate feeling for others than those who have been limited in their environmental experience and are deeply influenced by particular cultural signals. Though like I said, I think our expectations and predjudices influence those we interact with- so this is also one way we bring each other to integrate those cultural signals.

The only way to determine whether your judgements are truly accurate is to be able to watch without interacting with them, without them being aware you are watching, and without you telling anyone else what your judgement is (to avoid the risk of THEM influencing that person to be and act as you expect.)

Interesting subject, on the web and discussion boards, where we might see a poster in different sites, who is a troll in one, and might, perhaps, show a different behavior on another.......



posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Years ago when I was thin, I dressed like a tart and behaved like a bim. These men around me, would not take me seriously, and treated me with disrespect. Even though I wanted to be taken seriously and treated with respect. Humans are going to judge with sight. I believe this is hard wired. I judge with sight. In my own personal life experience, I learned that people are --- who --- they look like, usually. If I see a 6 foot guy with short hair, wearing a suit and tie, I think, he's a Fed, CEO, lawyer, engineer, politician. Etcetera. Educated professional of some sort. But if he was covered in tatts and sporting long dreadlocks, I'd judge him to be with the arts. A musician. I believe that people present their own outward look, to show you who they are, as well.



posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
~KRON~
I too have that neat little ability to gauge a person by more than just outward appearences. And the same is true back to me. By that I mean my"aura" if you want to call it that, is pretty strong and large. Pretty much anyone that comes near me can sence the way Im feeling, and vise versa, without saying a word or showing any real body language. Even though I know that body language has very subtle changes that we can pickup on without knowing it, it still amazes me when the second Im upset someone around me can tell and they feel the need to ask me whats wrong. I think once we learn how to be more empathetic towards others we will no longer use societal judgment to guide our thoughts about each other.

~much love~



posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I can only judge a person based on their reaction to me. If they trust me they are trustworthy. If they do not like me then I must step aside and realize that they do not like themselves!

On a physical level I am more apt to see a balding man as one with a very high level of intelligence! However, it does not mean they will like me which takes me back to my original statement.



posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by TylerDurden2U
reply to post by Death_Kron
 


by personal hygene, body language, facial expressions, the way they dress? ok, your a human.


This is my point, the above factors may give an impression about an individual but they certainly do not represent that's persons knowledge or intelligence. I've seen plenty scruffy, dirty but clever people and also many smartly dressed, clean smelling dumb people...



posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glass
reply to post by Death_Kron
 


From my past experiences with gang members, I've gained the ability to spot potential troublemakers by the thuggish way they carry themselves, or if they are acting shifty, always looking around yet trying to be inconspicuous. I have no doubts that there are ways to "judge a book by its cover", however focus less on what the person looks like and more on how they act. From someones clothes, hygiene, and other physical traits I can only guess at the circumstances that might cause them to look that way. You really can't tell a thing about a person if you only look at the color of their skin or the quality of their clothes.


Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. I can also pretty much tell whether someone is up to no good simply by observing how they act however personally I probably look like a "troublemaker", admittedly not to the same degree but I typically sport a shaven head, gold diamond ear stud and also have a tattoo.



posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by coquine
reply to post by Death_Kron
 


There are people who have more collected predjudices than others that they are victim to, depending upon many factors of their past. I have observed that often the people who claim to be very good at judging others on sight quickly often are very active in "bringing out" exactly what they expect from that person, through dynamics like Limbic Resonance, and Reciprocal Determination.

If someone has been fortunate enough to grow in various environments and cultures, and learned to be tuned into more basic body language and human behaviorism that ALL humans share, rather than the cultural signs and signals, they seem (to me) to have a more accurate feeling for others than those who have been limited in their environmental experience and are deeply influenced by particular cultural signals. Though like I said, I think our expectations and predjudices influence those we interact with- so this is also one way we bring each other to integrate those cultural signals.

The only way to determine whether your judgements are truly accurate is to be able to watch without interacting with them, without them being aware you are watching, and without you telling anyone else what your judgement is (to avoid the risk of THEM influencing that person to be and act as you expect.)

Interesting subject, on the web and discussion boards, where we might see a poster in different sites, who is a troll in one, and might, perhaps, show a different behavior on another.......


Good post, I've starred it.

I also really like your point about people bringing out what they expect in others, it's an area of massive interest to me. Is it possible to simply make someone act the way you want them to? So, you feel like you "get on with each other" when in reality your drawing aspects out of that person and they don't even notice?

Food for thought.



posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by simone50m
Years ago when I was thin, I dressed like a tart and behaved like a bim. These men around me, would not take me seriously, and treated me with disrespect. Even though I wanted to be taken seriously and treated with respect. Humans are going to judge with sight. I believe this is hard wired. I judge with sight. In my own personal life experience, I learned that people are --- who --- they look like, usually. If I see a 6 foot guy with short hair, wearing a suit and tie, I think, he's a Fed, CEO, lawyer, engineer, politician. Etcetera. Educated professional of some sort. But if he was covered in tatts and sporting long dreadlocks, I'd judge him to be with the arts. A musician. I believe that people present their own outward look, to show you who they are, as well.


I agree to a certain point, however my intention of the thread was to show (or question) whether looks can be truly deceiving. Or are we all to a point represented by our outward appearance? Maybe we are..



posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Talltexxxan
~KRON~
I too have that neat little ability to gauge a person by more than just outward appearences. And the same is true back to me. By that I mean my"aura" if you want to call it that, is pretty strong and large. Pretty much anyone that comes near me can sence the way Im feeling, and vise versa, without saying a word or showing any real body language. Even though I know that body language has very subtle changes that we can pickup on without knowing it, it still amazes me when the second Im upset someone around me can tell and they feel the need to ask me whats wrong. I think once we learn how to be more empathetic towards others we will no longer use societal judgment to guide our thoughts about each other.

~much love~


I'm agreeing with a lot of people here so far


But yeah, spot on. I'd personally say that people around me can't/don't usually pick up on how I'm feeling, although that's normally not a problem as I'm very vocal with regards to what is on my mind, I just find it interesting that with some people you can tell from a mile away something isn't right and with others you wouldn't have a clue.. until they explode.



posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
Yeah, this is what I'm talking about. I can also pretty much tell whether someone is up to no good simply by observing how they act however personally I probably look like a "troublemaker", admittedly not to the same degree but I typically sport a shaven head, gold diamond ear stud and also have a tattoo.


Sure, we have intuition based on typical stereotypes. Sometimes there are exceptions to the stereotypes but they can serve as a useful tool for who to associate with. I'm not entirely sure what "social vibrations" are though



posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greensage
I can only judge a person based on their reaction to me. If they trust me they are trustworthy. If they do not like me then I must step aside and realize that they do not like themselves!

On a physical level I am more apt to see a balding man as one with a very high level of intelligence! However, it does not mean they will like me which takes me back to my original statement.


Hmmm.

Not so sure I agree with that one in it's entirety, I'm not necessarily saying it's impossible to dislike someone. More like I think a lot of us maybe pick up on the wrong signals on which they base their decisions on a subconscious level; many people who look like fools/idiots/thugs usually are but I'm trying to expand the idea that an equal number of people with similar looks aren't. And vice versa



posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
Sure, we have intuition based on typical stereotypes. Sometimes there are exceptions to the stereotypes but they can serve as a useful tool for who to associate with. I'm not entirely sure what "social vibrations" are though


Despite being a catchy name for the principle I'm trying to illustrate, "social vibrations" are the little nagging thoughts/opinions/feelings you feel when you meet someone new, or visit a new location etc that type of thing.

I could of used the word vibes, but it's not as catchy.



posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
Despite being a catchy name for the principle I'm trying to illustrate, "social vibrations" are the little nagging thoughts/opinions/feelings you feel when you meet someone new, or visit a new location etc that type of thing.

I could of used the word vibes, but it's not as catchy.


I gotcha: so we're just talking about our intuition. I mean, for the most part our intuition about who to associate with is usually more accurate than not. I think gut feelings in this situation is useful even if sometimes people break the stereotypes. Don't you?



posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer
I gotcha: so we're just talking about our intuition. I mean, for the most part our intuition about who to associate with is usually more accurate than not. I think gut feelings in this situation is useful even if sometimes people break the stereotypes. Don't you?


Yep, I'd say usually gut feelings are more or less correct. Maybe I've not added or posted my full thoughts on what I'm trying to question (might need to edit my OP), I'm trying to question how closely people feel they can read others?

Maybe it's emotional awareness, I just find the subject interesting, being aware of how others truly feel and as such understanding why they are saying what they say and acting how they act.



posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
If you're highly empathic, you may very well be picking up on deeper stuff going on inside people.
I know that I do- I can sometimes see flashes of images, thoughts, things from their past, see what their "issues" are, what their strengths are, all in a first glance. This is perhaps what some people call being "psychic", (and it works same with animals). Though I am not sure there is anything "magic" about it, it probably has perfectly logical explanations that we are uncovering slowly.

But it had lots of drawbacks, like being in crowded places was overwhelming -too much information. Or that often people are in denial of certain aspects of themselves, or trying to change them, and if you respond to or interact with that secret part, it can be upsetting for them. I've had people just get really scared of me because of this- they feel vulnerable. Some thigns they don't want others to know, and they hate the feelign that you can see it, because there are things they are embarrassed of and they imagine you judge them for what you may see.
They don't often get that when you see everyones secrets around you, you get de-sensitized to them, and have an understanding of just how normal and common they are. You end up not judging!

Anyway, in order to cope in the world better, I learn to ignore this stream of information. To compartmentalize it, I guess, and only pay attention to the acts and words, and respond to those. That is what they are willing to share. That is what I can give feedback on.

Sometimes, you may be aware that a person has specific "issues", and see their claims about themselves are not in harmony with those.

In that situation, there is the problem already stated here, of influencing the person with your expectations- if you focus on the issue, you shall bring it forward.

Secondly, a lot of times the inner and outer do not match because they are trying to change it! And it is totally possible to make changes from the outside to inside- go through the gestures and behaviors and it can change the inside. 'Fake it until you make it" works.

So in those cases, focusing on the behaviors and acts and words will strengthen their efforts and be a support in the change they are trying to make. That means ignoring the stream of contradicting thoughts and emotions coming in on the other channel.


edit on 18-6-2011 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I find that people are becoming incredibly critical, as if, imagine, people wearing uniforms, and any one with even different coloured shoes or a hat is singled out from the crowd. They all want "sameness", they are all paranoid about what others think about them and paradoxically incredibly conscious about the appearance of others.

When can I just be myself, without the comments, without the "matrix" or do they fear an assertive individual, does it cause ripples in thier artificial hive-mind matrix system?

Why, why do they have such faith in machines...
edit on 20-6-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Reading through your post, i noticed this was something i have thought about since the early days of my life.
Even before i knew awakening, enlightenment & the lot existed.

i could see people for what they are.
i still can & it is almost very weird.
within a few minutes of being around someone, i can rightly gauge if the person is being himself or putting on an act, to say the least. if the intentions are good or faked.

it is almost like a personal sensor, if i will get along with someone or not, if the person could harm family or friends in small way, even emotionally.

it is almost difficult to describe, but it really does happen very naturally.

i keep talking to my wife about it, trying to get her to be able to understand people the same way.
not certain if this is a gift, or if all of us possess it and are unable to decipher its signals.

thanks for the thread







 
5

log in

join