It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone else watching "Whale Wars" find themselves rooting for the Japanese?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
These people are idiots. They have been stranded at sea many times by, among other things, running out of fuel, mechanical break downs of which none of them had any idea how to diagnose much less fix, and running aground as well as ice. It's a wonder these people aren't dead already. Their luck will run out one day and the picture's not gonna be pretty. And this all just their seafarring skills. It's a friggin miracle everyone just doesn''t shoot them on sight. They fly the Jolly Roger for god's sake. They have admirable goals, but are complete and utter idiots about how they go about obtaining them. But I guess thats what keeps the ratings up.

One day a fishing vessel is going to report they are being attacked by Pirates. The Australians or the Chinese are going to respond and sink the vessel. The time and money would be better spent on a coming up with a captive breeding program to help restock sea life insted of harrassing others, gettting arrested and giving the money to lawyers.

This is what Wikipedia says about these guys:
Operations have included scuttling and disabling whaling vessels at harbor, intervening in Canadian seal hunts, ramming other vessels, trying to temporarily blind or disorient whalers with a laser device,[3][4] throwing bottles of foul-smelling butyric acid onto vessels at sea,[4] boarding of whaling vessels while at sea, and seizure and destruction of drift nets at sea. Sea Shepherd claims that their aggressive actions are necessary as the international community has shown itself unwilling or unable to stop species-endangering whaling and fishing practices.[5] Some governments and organizations have referred to them as terrorists.[6]
edit on 17-6-2011 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-6-2011 by joyride0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

At least they are doing something, if they had better results, would you be then 'rooting' for them?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
If they want to stop the whale fishing, they shouldn't be going after the fisherman, that's why the show is a joke.

If they are going to terrorize anyone, I'd rather watch them chase, harass, etc. Bilderberg attendees around.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
This is like that drilling show that made drilling companies look like idiots. They don't care about what is true, only about sensationalized television. It's all carefully edited TV fiction.

Maybe they found the most idiotic group on the high seas.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by sicksonezer0

At least they are doing something, if they had better results, would you be then 'rooting' for them?

If they spent their efforts in creating a captive breeding program to help restock sea life or fighting their cause through international courts then yes I would be rooting for them, hell I might even donate toward their cause. But when I see people from Sea Shepard say things like "I would love to see the Nisshin Maru at the bottom of the ocean" it is clear to me that they have no regard for human life. Those Japanese fishermen are just doing a job and trying to put food on the table for their family.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
This show is horrific at times. Paul is a slack jawed yokel looking vacantly at what is going on.
That jackass Peter Brown, every time I see this guy being stupid on the show I just want to ram my fist into his face repeatedly.

They are using these poor well meaning fools aka the crew to further their agenda. And they are risking their lives in the process. They have no real experience and just seem like a bunch of idiots risking others lives.

Now with that being said. The killing of whales is horrific. There was one episode where the Japanese were catching whales and just butchering them. It was so sad to see them kill the whales.

Personally I think that what these jokers are doing is not effective in the least. And downright dangerous.

There has to be a better way to protect whales than just haphazardly trying to follow the whaling fleet and doing things that don't work.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

While their goals are admirable, I find myself laughing my butt off every episode. I hope it doesn't happen, but these folk are going to be fish food before too long. Someone will lose patience one day and sic the Yakuza on them. On shore and off camera.

Then, they'll be forgotten martyrs.

And the world moves on.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   

I get what you are saying, and your absolutely right. I have very little interest in donating my hard earned clams to bafoons, all of their resourcea could easily be focused on helping whales and sea life, but if it wasnt for the entertainment factor, we wouldnt even know about that show, or their cause, or we would, who knows. But I get your point.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Lots of people in Oz see them as heroes.

Personally I see them as richard craniums.

In Japan they are seen as eco-terrorist.

South Park - Whale Whores

South Park Creators commentry of Whale Wars

edit on 17-6-2011 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by acrux

LOL hilarious!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Yup, go whalers.

Whats next?

Cattle wars! Hindu's across america attacking cattle farms?

It is food for someone, if you do not like it do not eat it.

I do not want to see animals die so I do not kill them, I try to eat less meat. I can work on my karma not anyone else's

new topics

top topics

join