It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Doggie Got Skunked

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Any tips on cleaning skunkness off of a dog and carpet? I have heard tomato juice works. Man, my whole house is reeking to the point of making my eyes water. She gets sprayed and runs up to the house rubbing herself profusely on the carpet...geez!
I have to go to work, but I will check in later for suggestions/stories.

Peace,
spec

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Hahaha, sorry dude. I've been there and it SUCKS. Tomato juice will work for the dog but I wouldn't be putting that on the carpet. Just put the dog in the tub and start dumping tomato juice on them and rub it in ( i know it sucks) and let it sit and then rinse them off. It won't be totally gone but it will neutralize enough of the odor to make it better.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

1 quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide ¼ cup baking soda 1 teaspoon of strong liquid soap such as dishwashing detergent. Mix the ingredients in an open bucket or bowl. The mixture will fizz. Wet your dog and thoroughly massage the solution into the coat. Be sure to keep the mixture out of the dogs eyes, nose and mouth. If it is necessary to apply it to the dogs face, very carefully use a washcloth or a sponge. After applying the mixture to all parts of your dog that may have been sprayed, rinse the dog thoroughly.

Here is one that worked well for me, and I mean ME. Long story, but I got skunked too! Source

edit on 17-6-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Thanks MJZoo and butcher guy, I appreciate the suggestions.
Man what a powerful smell, that seems to get worse by the minute...yuK!

spec

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
they say peroxide works better than tomatoe juice but not sure whats best for a dog

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Been there, on a weekly basis, for a month straight! Tomato Juice didn't work for us, we went to Soldan's and bought the commercial stuff, that worked well. Especially for around her mouth, where I swear she bit the darn thing in the butt. It smelled burnt.

Side note: Do not take wild skunk babies home as pets, then release them, so they are not scared of people!
Stupid neighbors!!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by thegoods724

When I got skunked:

I did the tomato juice first, then the mouthwash thing. Neither one really worked very well.

The peroxide mix that I posted did do the trick.... Meaning I was allowed back in my own house!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
That rug has got to go... Start thinking about going with hard wood floors

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
been there done that my cat got skunked last summer we have a few skunks that live under our house and man some times they will spray under there and it stinks up the whole darn house.

Take tomato juice and peroxide mix it together wash the dog rinse him then repeat it let him air dry then wash him in suave shampoo as for your rug Apple Cider Vinegar works on any thing to get rid of the smell half it with water or use it plane spray the rug til it is soaked then allow it to dry then repeat as necessary as it dry it will left the smell out leaving it fresh smelling I had to do this with a futon not long ago and it worked well hope this helps I am really sorry for you glad I am not coming to visit you any time soon

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
That must be horrid for your poor dog-imagine how much worse it smells to a super sensitive doggie nose.
Poor thing must hate it.

Isn't there some kind of neutralizer you can get from the vets?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
If you are anywhere near the coast, just throw your dog in the saltwater for a bit, that will take care of it. Same thing happened to my dog years ago and no amount of tomato juice helped at all, but one splash in the ocean and it was like it never happened. Kind of moot if you aren't near the water, but if you are give it a go.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
@chiefsmom - Yes, burnt and putrid is the smell, whew! I had a friend with a pet skunk, but it was de scented.
Thanks for the reply

@JJDoggie84 - not a bad idea JJ, thanks man!

@Queenicess - I will give the carpet idea a try, thank you. Yea, right now would not be a good time fer a visit

@Silcone Synapse- Yea, she didn't like it a bit, watery eyes and salivating. She didn't know whether to be excited or horrified, but she's okay. I hope she learned a lesson at least, however after talking with friends at work today, it sounds like they don't learn and only develop a hatred for the critters after being sprayed, and will continue to go after em'. Butherguy's suggestion is what the vet said also, peroxide, baking soda and soap. Thanks for replying..

@ HenryPatrick - like I needed an excuse to make a trip to the beach, oh yea, I'm there! Fortunately I am only 45 minutes from the Pacific, so guess where I'm going in the morning? Sounds like a great idea, much thanks!

So I just got home and yes the house reeks, but the dog is a little better after rolling in the dirt and dewy grass all day. The vet seconded butcherguy's idea too, that is what they use, and she(vet) said I was the 10th person in 2 days inquiring about dogs being skunk'd.

Thanks again everyone, much appreciated

Peace,
spec
edit on 17-6-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Oh my God, this thread cracked me up!

Good luck with the smell removal!

Years ago, my husband decided to rescue a skunk and had it on the porch. Well it sprayed and you could smell it from far away. the whole house reeked! I doubt he will ever rescue a skunk again!

new topics

top topics

join