It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The New Silk Road...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Silk Road, a digital black market that sits just below most internet users' purview, does resemble something from a cyberpunk novel. Through a combination of anonymity technology and a sophisticated user-feedback system, Silk Road makes buying and selling illegal drugs as easy as buying used electronics—and seemingly as safe. It's Amazon—if Amazon sold mind-altering chemicals.

But it seems Silk Road may not be accessible to everyone...

Getting to Silk Road is tricky. The URL seems made to be forgotten. But don't point your browser there yet. It's only accessible through the anonymizing network TOR, which requires a bit of technical skill to configure.

Once you're there, it's hard to believe that Silk Road isn't simply a scam. Such brazenness is usually displayed only by those fake "online pharmacies" that dupe the dumb and flaccid. There's no sly, Craigslist-style code names here. But while scammers do use the site, most of the listings are legit. Mark's acid worked as advertised. "It was quite enjoyable, to be honest," he said. We spoke to one Connecticut engineer who enjoyed sampling some "silver haze" pot purchased off Silk Road. "It was legit," he said. "It was better than anything I've seen." Silk Road cuts down on scams with a reputation-based trading system familiar to anyone who's used Amazon or eBay. The user Bloomingcolor appears to be an especially trusted vendor, specializing in psychedelics. One happy customer wrote on his profile: "Excellent quality. Packing, and communication. Arrived exactly as described." They gave the transaction five points out of five.

I think sites like this are great. Drugs should be free and legal. I just think their timing sucks.
TPTB are looking for every excuse to censor the internet and I'm afraid sites like this just give them
one more reason to try and look good doing what they're doing.

edit on 17-6-2011 by orbitbaby because: just because)

edit on 17-6-2011 by orbitbaby because: I wasn't done
The Underground Website Where You Can Buy Any Drug Imaginable
edit on 17-6-2011 by orbitbaby because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
So in order to get there i have to download TOR??
I would just like to see whats there lol
edit on 17-6-2011 by jaycen420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I checked yesterday, the site does not exist anymore. But I think new ones will pop up again to replace it.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Thats interesting i have never heard of this silk road. I dont fully understand the Bitcoin concept either. But its a very good article.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by prof7

I checked it out when I read about it the other day. There definitely are a lot of crazy things. I didn't stay there extremely long but I saw a lot of people selling weed and also that synthetic weed. There was pretty much every drug you could find, shrooms, acid, ecstacy, etc. Prescription drugs were on there I think as well. I saw a section for weapons but didn't look. The layout and stuff reminded me of craigs list. Everything was priced in bitcoins, I'm not sure what they do when the value of bitcoins changes. Prices for marijuana were a little more expensive than what you could find in your area probably, but it's more for the convenience
. I saw quantities from 1/8th to an Ounce. I'm not sure how the pricing was for any of the other stuff because I have no experience with it. That's all I can remember, although I wouldn't say TOR requires any special tech skills. There's a wizard, then you just run the program and if you're on FIREFOX make sure to install torbutton, open up firefox and click on the tor button and you're proxied.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by orbitbaby

it wouldn't take much effort for one of the alphabet agencies to use (or create) such sites for e-z arrests at a later date.

High Times magazine had a full page glossy rear cover ad for a wonderful growing environment (looked like high end furniture, a terrarium or such) and that ad ran every month for many years. Finally it was exposed that the 'company' behind the product was law enforcement. people coast-to-coast paid the price for that one, from what I read.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

yup. routinely agencies will seize a domain selling something illegal, and keep it up. you think you're ordering pot seeds, when you're just telling the cops where you live. there are a few sites like this up right now, from what i was told.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
you think you're ordering pot seeds, when you're just telling the cops where you live

Then you should only order from a country where selling the seeds is legal.

(post by scootpooter removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by scootpooter

I have used Silk Road on occasion and still had 2.5 bitcoin ($375 +/-) in my account which is now seized. That ticks me off a little (my bad -- forgot how much I had left in there).

The Dread Pirate Roberts allowed his persona to become a little too celebrated, almost as if he was daring the Fed's to come after him and his his illegal activity.

But there are still a dozen more "Silk Roads" out there if you know where to look. The Fed's would have to take down the tor, .onion, and clearnet networks to completely eradicate the digital black market. And even if they did that, there's still bitcoin, which is the de facto facilitator of the commercial digital underground.

Good luck with that...

posted on Oct, 16 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by scootpooter

well too be fair, its not hard fro you to get busted when you try and solicit the murder of one of your own employees, especially when the hitman you're trying to hire is a LEA, though that wasn't the only mistake he made.

(post by JohnPhoenix removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

new topics

top topics

join