It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survivalist are crazy!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
You are always going to have people who take things to extreme or do it wrong. It just runs the spectrum of human intelligence. Anything can and does become an obsession; cars, clothes, collecting, booze, drugs, gambling...even preps.

We see what is happening to communities around us, we see the failure of gov't to take care of its own, we see the fabric of society crumbling all over the world. It could be as local as a tornado or as widespread as a nuclear 'accident' or attack.

A few preparations will make you comfortable in a local emergency, a lot of preps can allow you to make it through a major and protracted event. A wise person knows how to balance their needs and resources against the odds of what may happen, planning for every scenario. A foolish one will not prepare at all, or spend frivolously.

Preparing for survival was such a part of society in just a few generations ago. Independant, self-sufficient, knowledgeable. We've become complacent, fat, ignorant and utterly unprepared, especially in the U.S. Yet, there are societies all over the world who are suffering NOW and we arrogantly believe we 'sit as a queen and will never see destruction nor want'.

Troubled water is rising all over the world. How foolish to think that our feet will stay dry.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by pellian
i think beyond some bottled water and a small bit of stashed away food you are ruining your lives and obsessing about things that will never come. You are basing financial decisions on what ifs and crazy scenarios such as antichrist or planet x. With all that money you spend you could easily give to charity and merit Gods mercy when times are tough. Survivialism is nothing new even books published in the 1970's advocate what you are doing now. The USA's decline will be slow not overnight like most preppers think. GET REAL AND STOP LIVING A FANTASY!

I am not a "survivalist", but it makes more sense to me than trusting some imaginary God to save you.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

prepared for what? you have no idea.

Do you have life insurance, car insurance, mortgage insurance? Are you as wacky as we are?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
This will show you what I'm personally a bit nervous about...check out the amount of people, then go to the lower part of the page and look at the oil stats...
www.worldometers.info...
Thats 42 years of oil, if the rate of using it stays the same...with that amount of people being added to the population...its not going to stay the same
And now have a look at just a fraction of what oil goes to make...
www.ranken-energy.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
well i think being prepared for something is better than sticking your head in the sand and not wanting to have an open mind about things that could happen! I say that its the same principal as a condom..... better off to have it and not need it than to need it and not have one! oh and as far as donating money... well thats a fair point bt doing it to get "in with GOD"....PFFT! load of crap!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Dont animals store away food and prepare for harsher times ahead? Gee they must be loonies too ROFL look in the end it will probably only be us survivalists left, and i think we will all get along fine.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

i think beyond some bottled water and a small bit of stashed away food you are ruining your lives and obsessing about things that will never come. You are basing financial decisions on what ifs and crazy scenarios such as antichrist or planet x. With all that money you spend you could easily give to charity and merit Gods mercy when times are tough. Survivialism is nothing new even books published in the 1970's advocate what you are doing now. The USA's decline will be slow not overnight like most preppers think. GET REAL AND STOP LIVING A FANTASY!

Yeah, I guess your right......not really I just wanted to make you feel good.

I have prepped for over 25 years and didn't bankrupt myself doing it. Did it slow and gradual.
The only thing your right about is the slow and steady decline of the country and the rest is only your opinion.

I was off work for 10 months from last June till this March and my food storage kept my family fed well even though we lost 80% of our income for almost a year.

Prepping isn't about just an asteroid hitting the earth, world wide collapse, aliens attacking or whatever you believe in. It's about being prepared to weather ANY change in your life style and coming out ahead.

You have a right to your opinion, just remember that just because you believe what you want don't make it right.

My lifestyle has paid off for this family 3 times now in the last 10 years.

The only person "living a fantasy" is you if you think nothing will ever happen in your life where making some preparations would be beneficial to you.

You're either young and inexperienced or older and naive.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by pellian

so let me ask you what sound finacial system do you live in that if there is another recession like the double dip we have been talking about for a year now can you live on a bottle of water and a can of ravioli? if you are rich and have your head so fare up your tukis than i guess i know where your coming from.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by pellian

So long as they live in their little bunkers and don't bother me, I don't really care if they're crazy. Why does it bother you so much?

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
It's not like many people are actually going out in the woods with naught but the clothes on their back and a knife. They are simply preparing for the worst. I agree that some seem a bit overzealous at times, but those supplies could come in handy in many more common situations as well, not just a SHTF scenario, and I sort of think that's the whole idea.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
The shhhiit will hit the fan soon because the people have prepared for it, and by their will alone shall it be perpetuated.

Ever heard a Nuke isn't worth anything until it goes boom???? well there you go...better be prepared

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
some real world events that make you want to be prepared , Mt saint helens is one, earth quakes, floods and fires; just do a news search on them and see what comes up. Power outages, food shortages all are very real and can happen have happened and will happen again when ??? so yes it is wise to stock up on food, fuel, first aid and water. the other stuff ammo guns tac gear well that is up to the person.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Can you define "survivalist for me please, thanks in advance.

See, I don't mind having an intelligent discussion but all too often people want to have a debate over things which they can not even clearly define.

Tell me what a survivalist is and then I will tell you whether or not I agree with your appraisal of the matter.

Is a survivalist considered one who wishes to survive?
Is a survivalist considered one who does MORE than you do in order to ensure their survival?
Is a normal person one who prepares in the same way you do, no more, no less?

By some people's standards, YOU are a survivalist. You mentioned keeping some extra water on hand.
Why do that? Are you crazy or something?

Please, let's define the words we use before we go any further.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by pellian

I'd rather have stuff and not need it than, to need it and not have it..oh and sorry, but your whole paragraph is ignorant to me, not everyone preps for fears of Planet X or SHTF, some prep to be ready for something that may happen...

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by juleol

I am not a "survivalist", but it makes more sense to me than trusting some imaginary God to save you.

I would have to agree with you on that one my friend.
I can not remember the last time God put food in my belly.
If I had to choose what to put in my pantry, a bible or a can of spam,
I'm thinking the can of spam is going to taste better.
Not much better mind you, but, better than the bible all the same.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
Can you define "survivalist for me please, thanks in advance.

See, I don't mind having an intelligent discussion but all too often people want to have a debate over things which they can not even clearly define.

Tell me what a survivalist is and then I will tell you whether or not I agree with your appraisal of the matter.

Is a survivalist considered one who wishes to survive?
Is a survivalist considered one who does MORE than you do in order to ensure their survival?
Is a normal person one who prepares in the same way you do, no more, no less?

By some people's standards, YOU are a survivalist. You mentioned keeping some extra water on hand.
Why do that? Are you crazy or something?

Please, let's define the words we use before we go any further.

Personally I don't give a damn what you think...I am not you and your not me..I don't get the cops called on me for fighting with the wife...like you stated in another post on a different tread...
Seriously, do you call yourself a man? OK how did you earn it? did you just get older or have you done something to prove that you are a man? The reason I ask, is if your a self proclaimed man...then you could be a self proclaimed survivalist...heck you could even be a self proclaimed dikchead too....I am just saying...you wanting us to tell you anything, for your approval to be something is stupid, why do I give a damn about what you think? With the questions you ask, I think your engaugements with the enemy will be short lived...for you...so buy all the ammo you want and that way i can get resupplied.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

Not sure who you are or how you factor in to this disussion as my question was to the OP.
I have no clue as to why you think your opinion carries so much weight but good luck with that,lol.

Let me clarify,

To the OP and ONLY the OP:

I would like to know how YOU define survivalist so that I can get a better understanding of why you think that
they are so crazy.

There, I hope that clears things up a bit.
Thank you for putting me in my place and teaching me a well deserved lesson. I feel sooo silly now that you
have called me out on being less than a man. One day I may just find it within myself to rise to the level of manhood that you so graciously and effortlessly have achieved.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

I know that the question was for the OP only but I think he means those that go over the top. He did say that some supplies make sense so I'm thinking he must mean the other end of the spectrum.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Pellian I don't really think you can tell others to not go and buy things for survival through human history we have adapted to survive so basically with people who prepare for the worst have better chances of living IF a scenario would appear, you shouldn't be telling people to give money that they can spend on things to make them feel secure.

I like survivalists because even when the going gets tough they are prepared to step up to the plate and sort it out there way.

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I keep water, rice, pasta, dry beans and some canned food. Somebody said buy an axe, so I bought an axe.

Am I good? lol. I do want some kind of water filter, though.

Don't think I'm crazy, (yet), and unless a storm causes the power to go out for a while; I hope I never need it.

It's prudent to keep some things on hand, you never know. I don't think it's crazy at all, except for the crazy people of course.

I will define "crazies" as people who WANT something horrible to happen so they can play "survivalist". Now, that's rather sick.
edit on 6/18/2011 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join