It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survivalist are crazy!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by pellian

Coming from someone (you) who believes in reptilians and
shape shifters as per one of your other threads, one has to wonder who is being a realist
and who is crazy.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
He/She ..it...just wants the post count to go up on this tread..we should ignore there dumb ass.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
These threads are almost as rich as the 'I would rather die than live that way' threads.

Just like the way everyone gets all religious right before they die, they always wake up at the onset of an emergency and beg like little whipped puppies for someone to help them.

Then its always boo hoo, help me, i need food, I need water, i need, i need, i need.

Guess what? my sympathy is gone. "Go thy way, for I knew you not."

I am an ant. Grasshoppers can pick for food in the snow till they freeze.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by pellian

Being a survivalist is kind of like keeping a toolkit in the back of your car and having some knowledge in mechanics.
Your car probably won't break down, but if it does, you're prepared.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
The OP has one small valid point...there are people who are spending their life savings to be prepared. And while I agree that everyone should be prepare for a whole list of "what if" scenarios, one of those scenarios has also got to be "what if nothing happens and I live to be 80 years old?" You have to be prepared for that too.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by canselmi

I am not aware of anything that persons may purchase if they choose to be prepared
for a variety of scenarios that could happen in the future, that could not either be
used, consumed, donated or sold at some other point in the future if nothing happens.

edit on 6/17/2011 by manta78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by pellian

you are really offended by this? did you say give to charity? which one? maybe if congress members wouldnt make youtube videos warning people to leave major cities, or every religion in the world wouldnt label these events as end times, people wouldnt prepare for loss of electricity and fuel. have you lived in a cat 5 hurricane disaster, or f5 tornado wake, or devastation of a flood, volcano, earthquake, sinkhole, or tsunami? the rest of the world is in the middle of a war, famine, drought, flood, tornado path, volcano ash, earthquake rubble among other disasters, and you are in the a/c on your laptop sipping cappacinos saying survivalists are crazy. if you own a generator and a gas can, doesnt that make you a survivalist? buying waterproof matches might make someone feel better, and it also may save their life in the end.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
No one should comment on this thread any further.

It is a tactic used to change peoples ideas about subjects. All the casual user who sees the title will remember is survivalists are crazy. Its a guberment troll tactic used across all of the boards at almost every board site.

The very same way all of you say 9/11. You say it through repetition so may times you were brainwashed.

I dont say 9/11. I say 3 trillion missing dollars and 9/10.

Let this one forum slide to the bottom of the pile. Agent smith has been called out.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by manta78

I know what you're saying. I live on the Gulf coast and prepare every year for hurricanes with bottled water, can goods, etc. knowing that at the end of the season, I'll use those goods anyway so I'm not wasting anything.

I guess my point was that there are some people spending their entire life savings, racking up credit card debt on as many cards as they can, etc. (Surely not the majority of 'survivalists', but there are some out there doing this). I'm all for being prepared, but not to the point of ruining myself financially.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by pellian

you have a point

i think most of the "survivalists" are just that - guys who hoard up [stuff] & claim to be survivalists. its all relative though they all get a boost of awareness when entering the field of experience - in this case the desert or forests.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by canselmi
reply to post by manta78

I guess my point was that there are some people spending their entire life savings, racking up credit card debt on as many cards as they can, etc. (Surely not the majority of 'survivalists', but there are some out there doing this). I'm all for being prepared, but not to the point of ruining myself financially.

It is those people that have chosen not to do their own research and are taking the words of a salesperson at the local sporting good stores that buying the most expensive thing is the way to go. Buying things that break easy, requires three other things to make it work, or some high fangled device that will break the first time it is dropped. Survivalism is about doing more with less, those people that come out of the sporting good store with three carts of supplies that they may or may not even be able to use in a SHTF scenario. Not to mention a lot of the stuff out there that is designed for the "survivalist" is nothing but junk and designed by some corporate greed monger that has never been camping a day in their life.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by pellian
prepared for what? you have no idea.

You must be really young, or too stupid to have paid attention to how well the great gov and charities took care of disaster victims ( see Katrina). Ive been in 2 disasters in my life, Im not young, and I believe its my responsibility and no one else's to take care of my own. Its foolish and childish not to take care of your own and realize that most like you require a nanny or mamma to do it.
RIght now.. I live in tornado alley, Im sitting on the New Madrid, flooding here is destroying large areas ( its armageddon for folks who live in towns that are wiped off the map due to flooding) and jjust yr before last we had a freak ice storm that knocked power out for a WEEK ( some areas longer). SO yeah, I prepare. Like any normal and rational adult would. People like you are the takers and entitlement crowd who prepare for nothing and expect others to care for you.

There is a lifestyle.. a prepping lifestyle that we ( husband and I) started in the early 90's. Its not preparing for a zombie apocalypse, its breaking away from the instant gratification mentality and "the guv will take care of me" mentality. Its a shame some of the group think crowd cant wrap their heads around the sense of this and will forever be a burden to others.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by pellian

If you believe in a religious deity, you have no cause to talk to others about their fantasies.

And yet you admit the US if not the world is in decline.
I suppose you know at what point it will stop? And what will be you position/condition at such a time?

Not everybody is heading for the hills,so don't take the term "survivalist" too literally.

I'm tired of tip-toeing around religious folks.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
hmm...

There is a tipping point of survivalism that borders on the absurd. $300, 60lbs, 7 day survival packs filled with Coghlan's finest crap that either fails to work, works poorly or breaks as you use it. Ozark Trail is similar junk found only at Wally World.

I could hand you $50 or even $500 worth of quality gear, and it is just as worthless if you have no idea how to use it. Chemsuits, cammo face paint and $1500 assault rifles are not suvivalists in the truer sense of the word.

I once knew a guy that had a 300 foot spool of 550 paracord that he would never use. Was always saving it for when it was truly needed. Same with that $5 dollar Coleman Camp Axe. He would never use it. But then again, he didn't know how to use a hand axe either since he never used one.

A person can only learn so much from videos, books and product reviews. If you never put the skills to use on a regular basis, you will either not learn them, forget them when you need them or find that you have some equipment that you can do without.

To me, the mark of a true survivalist is not gear, supplies or even level of experience (to a degree) but the ability to teach what you know to others. Because the first thing you do in any survival situation when you have a moment is to take stock of what you have. That is the materials on you and the group as well as the knowledge that is among you all.

Depending on level of experience and luck while scavenging, if you have some mixed pocket change and are near a railroad and some trees, you have all you need to make a respectable set of bow and arrows within an hour or so. Being able to teach what to do is what makes you a survivalist. Now, being able to make it and use it effectively is where practice, knowledge and experience comes in to play. And that is the difference between survival and getting by on luck.

There have been a few comments about the government and charities, try flagging down a police officer while walking along the side of the road in the afternoon and ask him for a ride into town. Your odds are better with a random stranger passing by to give you a lift. Especially if you have a backpack on. If you are carrying a gas can, you have even odds of getting a lift, even if there is not a car parked on the side of the road.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I hate to admit many posts here reek of truth. But the one that gets you is the one that you never see. survivalism is just a silly fad. your end can come at any time.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
hmm...

There is a tipping point of survivalism that borders on the absurd. $300, 60lbs, 7 day survival packs filled with Coghlan's finest crap that either fails to work, works poorly or breaks as you use it. Ozark Trail is similar junk found only at Wally World.

I could hand you $50 or even $500 worth of quality gear, and it is just as worthless if you have no idea how to use it. Chemsuits, cammo face paint and $1500 assault rifles are not suvivalists in the truer sense of the word.

The person who has a years worth of canned mini-ravioli and no can opener, the para-mil project 7 nut with a rocket launcher, the weekend warrior, and yes... the 60 Lb BoBer.. they give every one of us a bad name!
I loved your idea about the scenario that a disaster hits and you have to gather what you need in 5 minutes from your own home. What practical things can you take?
I think for a lot of folks its more of a hobby and its impractical. I mean for us, its just the way we live. Gather in the fat and use our stores in the lean. Knowing youre responsible for yourself and your kids/family FIRST.

WHen we started all of this we already had a leg up considering our childhoods and just the way we lived. Its never been a matter of stocking up and sitting on it.. its truly a sort of lifestyle. We actually use what we have and replenish. When I was a kid, there was never a time we were silly enough to have our " cupboards bare" before we went to the grocery store or whatever how people do it these days. There were always canned goods and stock.. bought and home canned.Back then people didnt just drive to the store every 5 minutes to get this or that when they happen to have allowed themselves to run out. My mother always had a running inventory for the root cellar and stock room... and the worst job anyone had was going down there and rotating the crap cause it was dark, scary, and boring! We never seemed to get complacent.

How in the world did this become being a "survivalist" and have some negative label? Was it when we decided that everything in the world was plentiful and become so arrogant to think bad things cant happen to us? Are people at large really this blind and so out of touch with how the world was less than 50 yrs ago?! Seems that it took only one generation to create willing slaves and walking dead.

WHen the power went out here in the ice storm for a week a while back.. people actually went loony. They had nothing to last them even a week and the opportunists woke up. The looting and thefts started the 2nd day into the power outage and people were griping 24/7 about why wasnt anyone helping them, magically getting the power back immediately, and why wouldnt anyone give them a generator or where was FEMA with food? Seriously.. that the govt should actually GIVE them a generator and hand hold them when they didnt heed the warning that a severe winter storm was coming! Since when was it the Govts job to give you things if you are too stupid to prepare or even care for yourself? SInce when did we all become children and NEED a nanny to think for us? People seem to be foolish and cant comprehend that things arent always there available for them on a silver platter. It a small power outage can case folks to behave like this.. can you only imagine a large scale disaster, civil issue/unrest ( that seems pretty common these days) or war? Foolish people are more dangerous than anything else.. and we see it already even though things arent even that bad yet. WIth the mob actions and violence, I swear.. sometimes I have no idea if I should buy more canning jars and lids or more ammo and dig a moat!!

BTW, will your friend sell me some of that Paracord?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Up until the day they are right . . .

and "if" and only "then" will they will be considered anything other than nuts by the sheeple.

I am not a survivalist in so much as I do not have all the equipment and training however I do respect those who prepare and those who plan ahead... It takes patience and work and effort and no reward until the day it is needed IF it is needed.

but untill then...

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
yeah for the joplins and the katrinas after reading this thread

we know who is gonna be sitting there and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting for the mother father government come to save them.

now on the other hand the survivalist says government?
we dont need to stinking government

we already have what we need.

thats what it is and anyone who just sits and waits on government is crazy in my book

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
WOW, What?

Yup, guess I'm crazy because I grew up in hurricane land and from a young age experienced yearly hurricane drills, evacuations and warning to even to surviving the real thing. Being prepared was a must because once theres a warning if you don't have what you need, the stores won't either by that time because everyone would have bought it up already!

Have not all these disaster as of late taught you something?

What's with the en masse of trolling threads?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
There is nothing wrong with being prepared for stuff like natural disasters and power outages but I agree with the OP. Last night I watched an 80's movie that I have not seen in a long time. The Survivors (1983)

Part of this movie deals with a group of people who think the US is heading for a collapse. They spout the ideas that crimes is out of control, the government helps no one, and that the government is bankrupt. I kind of chuckled watching it. Sometimes, things never change. One good line from the movies was when Walter Matthau said to the survivalists, "If you are the future of america, shoot me now, because I don't want to be a part of it."

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think these people are the ones that the OP is talking about.
edit on 17-6-2011 by netobrev because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join