It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survivalist are crazy!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
i think beyond some bottled water and a small bit of stashed away food you are ruining your lives and obsessing about things that will never come. You are basing financial decisions on what ifs and crazy scenarios such as antichrist or planet x. With all that money you spend you could easily give to charity and merit Gods mercy when times are tough. Survivialism is nothing new even books published in the 1970's advocate what you are doing now. The USA's decline will be slow not overnight like most preppers think. GET REAL AND STOP LIVING A FANTASY!

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I agree, dooms day scenarios never pan out. Life is a slow depressing decline not a dramatic drop. If you want to be a survivalist, start walking towards the forests and don't turn back.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Yea but If and when something does happen I'm sure you will be the first knocking on someones door who did make preparations. Reminds me of the story the ant and the grasshopper.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

The great depression happened pretty fast...

+20 more 
posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
See the problem with the word survivalist is you all think we are some crazy group out in the woods with a knife and a burlap sack for cloths...lol
Its a way of life, less dependant on the system, able to do for ourselves and able to accomplish about anything.
We store food gear and several other things.
We are not planning for some crazy end of the world...but we plan for things like fires, floods, tornados, earthquakes, natural disasters...and then go from there to other things from most likely to happen and we live our lives, enjoying a piece of mind, knowing that if something happened tomorrow, that we could be ok and be able to have life as close to normal as possible.
Have you ever been without electric for a week? I have from storms, a generator and some fuel helps to save your food in the freezer and keep the lights and heat on....so am I a survivalist nut...no, I use common sense and buy things that I know I will need sometime in the near future.

I hunt and fish and camp, so those are my hobbies, it just so happens that with those hobbies, I have many things covered that could happen....the biggest question is for you...if you love your family, your life and the things you have worked for...why don't you protect them?....you have car insurance right? you have life insurance right? So why not have some insurance for you if the nights are cold and the power goes out...why not have some food stored up...incase you lose your job or you have a breakdown of your vehicle and need to spend the grocery money to fix the car? See its not what you all think, or wanna think, some of us have been doing this for many years, its a life style...

Plus many of us don't believe or trust what we are spoon fed from the non representing represenitives.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
You are barking up the wrong tree, pal.
The times we are in right now have never been experienced before in history.
Technology expanding exponentionally, another looming financial crisis, bankers looting countries, etc..

And you wanna think everything is OK?
Or going to be a slow drop?
You even realize what is happening to our dollar?
You know that it will crash like a wave, right?
Survivalists' are the smartest group of people I associate with.
Want to know why?
Because we don't rely on other people to take care of us.
We can manage on our own without TV, media, or blind fools.
We don't need grocery stores and shopping malls.
So...
Go ahead and stay sheltered.
From the looks of it, you haven't done your research here yet.

When we have food and water, guns and ammo, and you are crying about why you bought a new car or a new house and have no preparations beyond a week....you can thank me later.

PS: I'll keep my preparations for myself, thank you.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by pellian

You apparently were never a boyscout. "Always prepared"

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by pellian

Yeah survivalists are abit whacky... although not all of them are. Depends who you talk to. If TSHF then they will be prepared in many cases

I dont wanna be too paranoid but i tell you what i have started considering stocking up on bottled water and canned goods when these items are on special or sale price.

Why not and i drink bottled anyway and use canned goods sometimes. Although i would never build a bomb shelter, but some things are good to have stocked up just incase something does happen, whther it be a war or natural disaster.... ohh and dont forget a well stocked and quality first aid kit.

There is much more to consider than just abit of food and water... even something like a gas mask or survival kit, camping equipment, bedding, sleeping bags, thermal clothing, hiking boots and etc etc etc can come in handy. Depends on how much money you have spare to spend on that kind of stuff.

If i had the budget i would have a field day at my local ''Aussie Disposal Store''

If you wanna see a good doco on survalists that has a touch of humor then i suggest watching this, its great
-

Louis Theroux Weird Weekends - Survivalists

In Idaho, Louis meets military enthusiasts and right-wing patriots who are preparing for a global catastrophe, including trips to survivalists' store Safetrek and a mountain refuge for conspiracy theorists called Almost Heaven. Louis also visits the Aryan Nation Church and helps to build a straw-bale home. The episode focuses on the survivalism movement and communities formed around it. The fact that several self-proclaimed survivalists were also hippies and environmentalists is a recurring theme.

edit on 17-6-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
prepared for what? you have no idea.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

ahh the memories

I was a boy scout, it was fun and then from there onto Army Cadets in my younger days

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Trolling Alert!!!

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I know the things that I have and the things that I want to get. I have no doubt that I would be fine for an extended period of time with what I have now.
If someone like this...came and asked for help from me once something has happened, I think they would learn very quickly that they were sadly mistaken about a lot of things in life, to include there very own existance....they would find out how worthless they are to a white,hedrosexual, christian, male, that loves his country and defends the constitution...

I am glad that people like him think that way...its less we will have to deal with in the future...once TSHTF.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by pellian
i think beyond some bottled water and a small bit of stashed away food you are ruining your lives and obsessing about things that will never come. You are basing financial decisions on what ifs and crazy scenarios such as antichrist or planet x. With all that money you spend you could easily give to charity and merit Gods mercy when times are tough. Survivialism is nothing new even books published in the 1970's advocate what you are doing now. The USA's decline will be slow not overnight like most preppers think. GET REAL AND STOP LIVING A FANTASY!

Pretty presumptuous arent you? Also contradictory, in one sentence you say "crazy scenarios such as antichrist" and in the next espouse "Gods mercy".

Crazy scenarios like, oh, maybe the loss of a job? or perhaps flooding? Sickness? Earthquake?

The money I spend is MINE to SPEND how I deem the most appropriate. I feel it is appropriate to make sure MY FAMILY will SURVIVE on their OWN and not have to use one of those CHARITIES you are so concerned about! I feel our life is IMPROVED by our preparations.

Also how dare you assume charity is not part of our life? A lot of us VOLUNTEER our TIME instead of giving money for some bureaucrat to leach from the intended target. Some of us have even taken the homeless into our HOMES.

SO YOU GET REAL! and get a life and stay out of everyone elses.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Althoughwe are not survivalists in the sense you see here, we belong to a Viking society. Yes we dress up and jump out of our long boat and pretend to rape and pillage and get blind drunk in the evenings, that is the fun part. For the rest of the time we are learning how they survived, built their homes, hunted, made clothes and so on. So, although we are not exactly preparing for the doomsday to come, should anything untoward happen, we would be able to function quite well.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Survivalism is nothing more than "Personal Responsibility Insurance".

Lose a job?
Get government goodies
or
Have food that you've stored.

Lose power?
Sit in the dark and wait for someone to turn on the lights
or
Power up your genny and watch tv, while your neighbors freeze

Dollar collapses?
Wait in line with everyone else for your government cheese and clean t-shirts
or
Use your silver and gold to purchase what you need for your family

Zombie Apocalypse?
Get eaten and drool over brains
or
Grab your nine-iron and yell, "Fore!"

Okay, the last one was a bit silly, but taking care of your family and preparing for whatever the outcome is not crazy.

It's being respsonsible.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by pellian

I am not sure how old you are, but it has not been that very long ago that people stored food and other provisions away. Prior to, lets say the ~60's people stored, canned and preserved food. Back in those days it was just plain common sense, basic preparedness, when people for a period relied on themselves instead of the hoping that the store down the road would have what they wanted when they wanted.

As I said, depends on how old you are, ask some of your family members that grew up before the 60s.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by pellian

Even the government is telling it's citizens they need to stock up on supplies in case of a natural or unnatural event.

These events will happen because they always happen.

If such a event does happen, what wise words do you have that will help you?

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

I smell something.... Bigfoot? No almost but not quite. Oh troll, yeah that's it.
You can pray to your god, or hope the goobermint saves your ass, that is your choice. Me, I am prepared, for just about anything short of a cataclysmic asteroid hit or severe nuclear fallout. I will be toasting marshmellows on my roof, watching the lemmings run around like chickens with their heads cut off should some kind of disaster hit.

posted on Jun, 17 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

Tha5nks a lot man you jus9t ruined my ke67yboard here at wor8k. I dont think it ap3preciates coffee.

MOTF!
edit on 17-6-2011 by MessOnTheFED! because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join